[Suggestion] Change motion sensors and darts to be directional

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Demigan

Theres a lot of people who really enjoyed the bug that caused the dildar and recon dart to fail. One of the points made was that it helped make classes other than the Heavy more important when using flanks (mainly Infils and LA's). And to be honest, the recon dart and motion sensor require virtually no skill in their use.

As an alternative, I suggest making these tools directional. For example the Dildar will only look in a +/-120degree angle in the direction the Infil looked upon placement. Recon darts will be fired, after which the Infil can press X or B while holding the motion dart to make the dart look towards the point where the reticule rests. They could have a 60 to 90 degree angle where they spot. You cant change the direction after placement on recon darts.
    Motion spotter could perhaps be allowed to switch direction after placement by holding the motion spotter and then pressibg B or X.

This gives players the option to flank despite recon equipment being available. The radar "ping" that you can see on the minimap would ofcourse show what direction the tool is scanning in.
    • Up x 1
  2. Campagne

I don't really see where the idea that people can only flank without motion spotters is coming from. Do players forget they can just crouch-walk?

I may be spoiled by Catlike but I crawl around all the time and flank all day as every class.
  3. Demigan

The idea isnt that its impossible, but that crouch-walking/sensorshield/catlike all have downsides compared to being a Heavy with good implants and just running in. Ofcourse in many places you wont find radar coverage and can flank, but in many important brawls where push really comes to shove you'll find so many recon equipment you might as well not bother, get a Heavyband walk in the front door.

I thought that having it directional would be a wonderful way to add some more strategy to the placement of recon equipment. And allow for Players to use other classes than the Heavy more often as flanks become more common.
  4. Campagne

I suppose it wouldn't be awful to make the tools directional, but in larger fights it almost wouldn't matter with the sheer number of them that can be all in one place. And how would vehicle radars be effected, if at all? If not, it'd be better to just sit on a cloaked flash with a radar, or hover in a Valk and squad spawn.

I don't really think more players would even have to use anything other than heavy. If anything, it might even just become easier for heavies as they could pass by motion spotter undetected and not be flanked themselves.

I guess I can imagine having to make the choice of which angle to cover with my gun and which with a spotter though, assuming the radar wasn't nullified.
  5. TR5L4Y3R

flanking heavies is rather a matter of making the overshield directional and allow headshot´s to do full damage (at least from the back ..
    personaly i rather would find it clunky to always have to place directional motionspotters ..
  6. Demigan

That would only work on Heavies who are busy fighting someone else. Any other flanked Heavy would immediately turn while turning on it's shield, meaning that by the time the shield is active the directionality would be nullified. And if the recon equipment makes it easy for the Heavy to spot an enemy prior to jumping out and flanking the entire maneuver wouldn't work as the Heavy would already be looking at you.
  7. LtBomber

I like motion spotters and trackers, i think they should not be nerfed in any way. If you do not want to be seen, crouchwalk, use implant or take them out (Emp, shooting). On minimap you will notice if you are in a detection range (ping, spotter showing up), so one has time to counterplay.
    No way flanking should be easy and without a trade.
  8. Diilicious

they should be directional, with a narrow cone of influence like 30* cone infront of the spotter.

or have a different one that puts down a small radar thing and links to the infiltrator itself and shows motion pings only where the infiltrator is currently looking. but perhaps at longer ranges than a single use placeable motionspotter.

or just have motion spotters use terrain to decided where the motion is coming from, so if your motionspotter is inside, it cant detection motion outside the building, only in the room it currently occupies.
  9. That_One_Kane_Guy

A Handful of Ideas:
    Please note that these would primarily involve the Recon Darts rather than the Deployable Spotter, as in my opinion the darts are far superior as they can be spammed from a safe distance and cover an enormous area very quickly with little danger to the user.

1) Motion Jammer Tool: This has been requested by players as long as I can remember, no idea why this hasn't been implemented yet, but this would certainly help alleviate the issues many have with motion tracking and open up some options for flankers. Could be either deployable, dart-deliverable, or an option for both.

2) Alternative to above: Simply make motion detectors from opposing factions cancel each other out if they are within a certain distance of each other, with having a certain <% more than your opponent letting you "burn through" to get coverage. This would allow for areas that are typically blanketed with recon darts to be a little more interesting as infiltrators on both sides have an incentive to get an information advantage. Spotters are either immune or harder to jam than the darts.

3) Alternate Alternative to Alternative above: Give recon darts an alternate fire mode that destroys enemy darts within a radius similar to the detection radius. Does not destroy deployable spotters.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

recon is pretty limited anyway, like if you don´t have any infil with you there are no spotters to help you
    even with infils around they rather use their recon for sniping/ambushing than covering a base defensively with it ...
    i can just say that from my experience it is pretty rare that someoone offers reconsupport ..
    so rather than further limiting the infils reconoptions have at least one more class be able to use it as well ..
  11. Pacster3

Yeah, why nerf something that in most fights is not used or at least not by both sides although there are numerous infils around? It is a huge advantage if people use it right....but hardly anyone does so why should it be nerfed? Especially given that certain implants and crouch are around. And seriously: If you nerf those then you need to nerf cloaking at the same time cause that will be completely OP then.
  12. Jac70

There's too much recon in the game right now, I do like the fact that Q spots now expire quickly. I'd make it so that recon blips are only shown to the operator of the device. To enhance the Infiltrator recon role, it could be that their Q spots last longer if the target is in detection radius of the recon device and the spot still persists for the extended time even if the target moves out of the devices range.
  13. TR5L4Y3R

the infiltrator reconrole is barely existend as is .. this will make it just worse ..