[Question] Can you build a Flail and a Glaive in the same base?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luicanus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Luicanus

Specifically, can I by myself if I buy both structures place both structures or are they treated like OS and Hives were eg one per base or how the two AP towers are that you can have one or the other?

Also while I'm asking can either of them shoot into Lattice bases like OS now can?
  2. DBDrew Developer

Yes. you can build both.
    No, you can't fire into Lattice bases.
    • Up x 4
  3. Luicanus

Thank you, would you mind sharing the logic behind not being able to target inside no-build areas?
  4. DBDrew Developer

Sure, the flail is on a cooldown of around 15 seconds. The OS is on a cooldown of 15 minutes maximum. The power potential of the flail is considerably higher due to its much lower cooldown. On top of this, the flail is more an artillery weapon, meant to help defend against sieges and can be used to punish non-mobile vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  5. Luicanus

Thank you for your prompt reply. I do appreciate that such a rate of fire inside a base could prove problematic.

If I may share my thoughts though I'd still suggest switching the flail's target limitation to the no-deploy zone (or similar) rather than the no-build zone as the no-build zones are extremely restrictive as to targeting locations. Many bases have no available space between them and others the gap is a matter of a few tens of meters.

Reducing the fire rate and/or accuracy would (IMO as a builder) be a worthwhile exchange for such a change.
    • Up x 2
  6. DBDrew Developer

For now, I'd like to see where it goes. I have no current plans to change it but if its necessary to help make construction relevant to regular combat, then its a possibility.
    • Up x 3
  7. Luicanus

Thanks, I appreciate your hearing out my concerns.
  8. WeiJun

Hi... just wondering is there a range limit for the flail to work? Cos there isnt any indication on the map like the OS has when its charged. :confused:
  9. Luicanus

I've read that it's capable of firing at 100m-1000m however that comment noted that on the PTS there was a glitch so it became ineffective beyond 400m.

During my usage, I've not noticed such a glitch although I've not tested any specific ranges.

Regarding range, however, because the Flail uses a different type of dart gun to the OS you can position yourself on an elevated point and fire the darts at considerable range allowing you to cover a wide area with minimal effort.
  10. Luicanus

Hello again, upon playing last night I built an OS and a Flail in the same PMB with the intention of creating a strong support base. Based on the Router and OS being able to be carried at the same time I'd assumed that a Flail dart and OS dart would be likewise.

Is there a reason that these tools are unable to be carried simultaneously?

As I understand it the OS is extremely limited in who can access it (squad only?) and suspect the Flail may be similar. Would it be possible to allow both tools to be carried at once?
  11. WeiJun

Well i tested the flail yesterday(placed a waypoint on the cannon and shot the dart at my feet at different distances)... the effective range is 600m;) Also the drop on the dart is pretty significant from what i observed so getting close and having that higher elevation to the target will help prevent wasted shots.
    • Up x 2
  12. Corezer

• Up x 1
  13. LtBomber

I allready build a base with IPC and Flail.

You can build both, no exclusion radius.
    Both can run on the same AI module
    You can only hold one target device!

I suggest getting IPC first, since, once placed, it will fire continously and has enough power to keep a single skyshield down all the time. Then get the Flail target device, and use in unshielded areas. Better get a squadmate and allow him to use one gun. Look at the gun building and press "Q" and set the cannon (IPC, Flail, OS) to squad. Kills are still credited to the owner, but its fair and still fun.

Range: IPC 1000m horizontaly, high doesnt matter
    Flail 600m
    OS 800m (15 min)

Remeber, IPC and Flail can not shot into NO-Construction Zones. Flail has therefore very limited application. Best use is against construction, but it takes a lot of time. Also on vehicle capture points.
    • Up x 1
  14. Liewec123

i'm curious if that valk exploit that people were using to OS in no deploy zones will also work for the flail, that would be a bloodbath.
  15. Liewec123

watched that video on youtube earlier today, convinced me to give flail a go, SOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!
    i tried it on PTS in the early days and it sucked, this iteration is carnage incarnate!

full hp sundy? NOPE.
    [IMG]
    enjoy it while you can before the inevitable nerf! XD

(oops double post, i meant to edit my first one)
    • Up x 1
  16. LtBomber

Nice if:
    Sundi deployed not in a no-construction zone
    Has no shield
    No driver nearby that moves it in the 10 sec of prewarning

Basically only on vehicle capture points, and only on sunderes (or braindeads)... So yeah, almost NEVER
  17. Corezer

I like how we have vids of it working, and you continue to say it's not that good based on reasons that clearly, based on both vids, do not always work out.

not saying it's OP in concept, but people ARE as dumb as they claim they aren't, and will complain until nerfs happen. the end.

most likely nerf is construction time, then AoE, then damage.
  18. Kristan

If you guys have managed to catch a randomly placed sunderer in an open field out of no construction zone that serves almost no strategic value, that only means that you're lucky. A lot of bases don't even have gaps for Flail to use. Just one zone overlapping the other.

I'd rather see its damage halved but to be used anywhere except for sunderer no deploy zones.
  19. Luicanus

You'd be surprised, I was fortunate enough to find myself up one of Hossin's peaks when 8+ Vanguards 6+ Sunderes and a couple of lightnings tried to make a push on an allied OS base below me. I didn't track all my kills but at least 2 Vanguard kills, and one sunderer kill, and a couple of vehicle assists. Upwards of 10 people killed before their snipers forced me to fall back.

The trick was to target behind their forward most units, typically a tank on the frontline will reverse without looking behind them when in dire need of repair, even if I only glance the tank there's a good chance of killing the driver when they jump out to rep.

It really was like fish in a barrel, but only because there was a fortified PMB forcing them to bunch up in an open area, 9/10 a Flail will barely be used after being built.
  20. Luicanus

I had an idea on that, I've seen it glitch a couple of times and fire into No-build Zones but when it did so it was extremely inaccurate with the 4 shots landing far apart from each other.

What I'm thinking is that they could play it off as some sort of electronic warfare countermeasure so that you CAN fire into a lattice base but the EW effect causes the shots to scatter over a wide area (say 10-20m radius) AND the cooldown is extended so that it takes 60-90 seconds before it can be fired again. Like the Flail has been stunned and put out of action.

Essentially this would allow it to still be some use in these areas but nowhere near as deadly as it has the potential to be in regular combat.