This patch could have been good but it was a disaster

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpeedFreakPS0NE, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedFreakPS0NE

Ok DBG, just so you know, throwing in a bunch of **** while breaking core features of the game and introducing latency to the point is nearly unplayable are not signs of progress.

- Broken motion sensors
    - OS inside bases
    - Uncapturable points
    - Ridiculous and unplayable latency spikes that last for hours
  2. frozen north

Part of the problem stems from the PTS. It is seriously underused, and as a result, is never under enough strain to cause certain issues that would effect the live version, or thoroughly test patches for certain bugs.

That being said, this instance is an exception. A lot of the current bugs were fixed on the PTS, but when it came time for the live release, the bugs some how resurfaced in the code. Additionally, a lot of extra bugs also appeared as well.

So I have no clue what went wrong this time.
    • Up x 1
  3. Xebov

And for a good reason. If they want the PTS to be used propeprly tehy simply have to plan stress test events for it and hand out rewards for an 1 hour participation. If tehy give XP/Certs/ISO/Implants as reward for participating you will likely see players using it.
    • Up x 2
  4. LaughingDead

Not every patch is going to be bug free.
    Broken motion spotters were annoying to deal with anyhow.
    OS inside bases is intentional.
    I've never run into uncappable bases so I have my doubts.
    The server quality issue has already been responded to on reddit. If you really want to complain, do it there.
    • Up x 1
  5. SmittyJensen

Oooh I just posted a thread on this.. or well.. more about testing in general. I see I'm not the only one with this thought...

No patch is bug free, but that isn't the OP's point. They could do a much better job than they're doing by simply testing longer and incentivizing more people to test on PTR.

Some of us don't use reddit nor will use reddit. This is the company's official forum, reddit is not.
    • Up x 1
  6. OgreMarkX

This sounds like a team that has no control over their code packages and no vetting prior to or immediately after install.

"Just throw the code into production, go home and fix stuff much later."

Nyet.

When you install new code to production you need to:

1. Have team members immediately log in, WITH A CHECK LIST OF THE NEW CODE ITEMS, verify each item works
    2. Verify system works normally overall (run scripts, perform all actions players would take in the first 30 minutes of play, etc)
    3. Assign severity levels to found bugs.
    4. BE READY TO PULL THE CODE BACK OUT and revert to older version if bugs are big enough to warrant it.
    5. Produce list of known bugs for users viewing
  7. HippoCryties

Oh great you can leave with your ******* toxic waste , please I beg go spread your toxic salt to the childish community you come from, we’re doing fine without your ******** in the background
    • Up x 1
  8. AlcyoneSerene

This is the game's main forum, so no, thank you.

Talking about the problems and features, things enjoyed and not enjoyed, of this game is done here, and on the bug report.

Server lag spikes affecting (it seems) everyone, including Emerald where I play, is a CRITICAL game-breaking problem that needs collaboration to help developers fix our half-broken game.

I can't play a game that disconnects players randomly as a whole. I can't play a game where everything freezes for 1 sec before getting killed every single time. Also can't play where the whole map freezes server-side, or with magnified server-side problems associated with unsteady ping.

If you know of other developer responses, then be constructive and link it as i have: https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/8r8ht0/server_latency_update/
  9. frozen north

This would also require a serious effort to improve communication. I have actually seen the devs sort of do this twice before ( minus the participation rewards part). However, I am not sure the tests had significant impacts on releases in those two instances. The first case I saw was the ASP testing event, that occurred very close to the final launch, and likely had no impact on the final release. The second was shortly after ASP launched, but given how staged and under announced that event felt, and that it was as early as it was in the patch creation cycle, I don't think it was actually useful for much testing.

I feel like the best way to do this is
    A: Do mass testing event whenever a patch a nearing launch time.
    B: Announce it clearly through the primary game client, forums, and reddit, to maximize notice.
    C: Take the time needed to review, and reflect on the data of the tests, and if something seems off, do another test event.
    D: Don't be afraid to delay a patch if the PTS events are still showing technical problems.

I'm not saying to organize game balance around these events. They would be to quick to allow proper testing, but they would allow significant data of bugs and issues for final releases.
  10. Dakka43

Hate to break it to you but the only toxic person here is YOU..

OP has made points that he feels is necessary, though in a bad manner doesn't mean they don't exist.
  11. Skraggz

He didn't quote op though.....
    • Up x 1
  12. dreyone

Doesn't change anything. Dakka43's statement is still correct.
  13. Skraggz

It actually does, you're just biased as it pertains to you.
    • Up x 1
  14. dreyone

CSB
  15. Prudentia

Whats your ISP? Orange?
  16. Luicanus

Why the hate on OS? It's finally got a purpose, seriously I've seen it used a handful of time and used it myself a few times. It's not really that effective unless the enemy is dumb enough to bunch up inside your range.
  17. Sgt Mcguilicuddy

We have not seen the effects of COORDINATED multiple OS attacks inside NDZ's or of Multiple Flail barrages on a point yet. You have not seen multiple Routers placed within a contested Base as requested by combat leaders. As construction engineers begin to come together in concert with their combatant brethren, you will see Fury unleashed like you have never seen it before on PS. Be afraid, Be VERY AFRAID!!~!!!!
  18. Luicanus

Why be afraid? that sounds like amazing fun.

Besides Routers are paper, anyone with a bit of grit can take it out. And you still need overwhelming numbers to make it work.

Frankly, if 12+ guys coordinate to build 3 OS Uplinks (which have to be at least 500m apart) then they deserve the fire rate they get from their effort. Besides, the farther they shoot the fewer shots they can get before recharging.
  19. Roxxlyy Community Relations

I explained the recent server latency in another post, so I'll drop that here:
    It doesn't have to do with the recent patch or, really, much on our end at all.

That aside, we're aware of the bugs introduced with the last patch. We should be pushing out a number of fixes for those tomorrow - we were hoping to do that a bit sooner, but now we should have more taken care of.
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.