[Suggestion] Phoenix dosent quite fit NC

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Coliax, May 23, 2018.

1. Towie

Seriously, I don't understand all these people who haven't seen the spawnroom Phoenix phenomenon - on Cobalt it happens every time TR or VS try to take an NC base (hell i'm even a perpetrator when I play NC !)
    • Up x 1
  2. DemonicTreerat

How about HELL NO! Leave one of the few weapons that made it from PS1 reasonable intact alone. The last thing the NC need is another "point blank to have a prayer of hitting" weapon. Especially when NC traits are not "shotguns" despite what less than intelligent people here seem to think. Those traits are high damage per shot and high velocity. The Phoenix obviously fits the former very well. So well in fact that without the Decimator it would be the highest damage man-portable missile in the game.

The only changes the Phoenix needs is a dumbfire mode for indoor use (as it originally had) and the removal of either the ability to shoot down the missiles or the glowing sphere that makes shooting them down easy (again as existed before). Do that and it can go back to being the terror that resulted in many TR & VS having several plus boxes of ammo in their lockers.
    • Up x 1
  3. JibbaJabba

Mmm, best intentions I'll take your word for it.

Please take mine too though. On Emerald I just don't see it happening. I'm sure it does somewhere but it's got to be super rare or I would have seen it. Personally I don't get the point. The broken LOS is plenty of protection and the spawn room just limits where you can fire.
  4. Prudentia

there is no broken LOS against Freedom screecher tho.
    you can easily fly 90°+ curves during the flight time and circumvent almost all cover.
  5. JibbaJabba

What I was saying is the LOS is broken for people that wish to return fire. A nearby rock offers the same level of safety as being in a spawn room typically.
  6. Prudentia

oh don't let krelas or champagne here that. they'll have a heart attack that an NC would agree that you can survive for longer than half a second outside of the spawnroom with the phoenix :eek:
    • Up x 1
  7. Campagne

2. Don't forget that every deviation from a direct line to the target reduces maximum possible range. The higher the angle the lower the distance.

4. In general, if three or more players are all focus-firing on the same target with dedicated weapons they ought to kill it. Even three Archers with long sight lines can be a powerful force.

5. I'd actually call that into question. I'd reckon one engineer with a maxed repair tool could probably out-repair the damage of two or maybe even three Phoenixes if they fired from great enough range. Say, ~250-275 meters max.

Testing and/or calculation would be good though, before we make claims.

6. Assuming there is no cover or safe-zones of any kind due to the increased distance from the base, which is plausible, the overall DPS of a Phoenix from at or near the spawnroom would be truly abysmal. Against a shield sunderer, I'm not positive damage could even be done without help.

Personally I don't see many Phoenixes in use at all, but I can't say that I don't see them. Rare though, as with their niche they ought to be.

I've almost developed an allergy to straw talking to you on these forums. :p

Show me once where I said the Phoenix can't be used outside of a spawnroom. I distinctly recall a conversation in which I directly stated spawnrooms are bad for Phoenixes. :rolleyes:

But I suppose facts and information tend to have a way of messing with false arguments.

8. Prudentia

Phoenix range is based on the distance to the shooter, if you fire a phoenix from a valkyrie you can theoretically guide a rocket across the entire continent by simply flying along with it

and yes, a single phoenix does enough damage to kill a shield sundy
    • Up x 1
  9. Campagne

Sorry, but that's just not true in any capacity.

The Pheonix's missiles have a set lifespan, after which they explode. But don't take my word for it, we all no you won't. Here's a Dev source:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/game-update-10-24.243218/

Secondly, while I can't personally verify this, I've heard the Phoenix-Valk combo is bugged and just causes the the rocket to instantly hit the Valk instead of firing properly, due to hitbox issues.

Either you're just trying to pull my leg here or you're a massive idiot. :p

And thirdly, the time between hits on a distance sunndy with a Phoenix likely wouldn't be fast enough to prevent the shield from recharging.
  10. Prudentia

ok yes, technically the phoenix does have a maximum range of around 500 meters according to iridar.net and 1,56 kilometers according to that patchnote. (cause iridar says 42m/s is the top speed and the patchnotes say 130m/s is the top speed)

if you need more than 1.5 kilometers flightpath to fly around an obstacle than you should go and apply to the red bull air shows.
  11. Campagne

Both numbers are wrong. "Real world" use demonstrates a maximum range of about 300 meters before timing out. (I've only made it 295 meters in testing.)

The error in the numbers are because you're not accounting for the Phoenix's slow acceleration, it takes quite a while to reach maximum velocity.
  12. Prudentia

thats because at 295 meters distance from the shooter the rocket despawns so you don't go into a loading screen upon returning...
  13. Campagne

Sorta. Explodes after 12 seconds regardless of distance from the shooter.

Reason why is of course to avoid loading screens, but one leads to the other. The rocket's explosion is not caused by the need to avoid a loading screen, it's caused by the lifespan restriction which is because of loading screens. :p
  14. Prudentia

The meter counter in the hud for the rocket is the distance to the shooter, therefor you can fly circles as much as you want, you'll never get the number higher than 295
  15. Campagne

Heh. I hope you're not being serious. :p
  16. Newblood

Spawrnoom nixes are a myth? Not only have I had it happen to me, I've been on the firing end. With other people. More than a few.

Enough with the "stuff I don't wanna hear is fake news" ****. Leave that to less than logical "debunkers" and Trump.
  17. JibbaJabba

We got one out to >800m in VR by chasing the missile with the launcher onboard a Valk.

It has no practical real world use that I've found.

Helpful tips when testing:
    Stationary is best. Hitbox on the valk doesn't really have any surprises in it. Don't shoot your winglet off and you'll be fine.

To do the 800+ meter shot though you'll have to fire while already moving.

For that you must know: The rocket appears in front of where the player was located at the time the trigger was pulled. It takes about 1/10th second to appear though. In that time the hitbox of the vehicle you are in may occupy that space.

You'll need to adjust your firing windows. The pilot also needs to stay level. Yaw towards the jumpseat that is firing can be helpful, otherwise stay straight. Roll and pitch should be avoided upon penalty of death.
  18. Campagne

Interesting, though you'll have to excuse me for not entirely believing you. :p

Can you prove it with a video or anything? That just plain shouldn't be possible according to the weapon's own mechanic. As is, one can fly it around in a circular pattern and have it blow within 300 meters.

But yeah, not exactly useful is that.
  19. Newlife1025

NO MORE SHOTGUNS!! I've been playing nc for almost two years now and i absolutely hate shotguns being our faction trait. Maybe more railguns or actual experimental weapons. I've never liked having to get close uo to people to even stand a chance and I sure as hell wouldn't want that with a launcher. Please, no more shotguns.
    • Up x 1
  20. Luicanus

I see it on Cobalt, especially at tower bases where the elevation makes it harder to hide your Sunderers. They sit at the top and wipe out any attempt to take the facility.