Im getting much better all of the sudden

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by infilallday, Apr 30, 2018.

1. infilallday

Not sure what has happened.
    I was a very average player, highest kill streak was like 5 and most of the time i would die before even killing anyone.
    But now.... Its like night and day, im getting very regular streaks of 7-12 kills very consistently.

I put it down to 2 things..

1. Implants. I have only just come back from a year long break from this game and look at that, PS4 has implants.
    My Hunter cloaker runs regen and sweeper HUD and i can attribute a lot of my survival to this alone.
    2. SASR the Super Awesome Sniper Rifle. Wow, after using the vandal for mid to close range and Longshot for long range, this thing is a dream. It can comfortably take the role of both weapons and is effective from 10m-200m. Every now and then there will be circumstances where the longshot will come out but apart from that, i cant see me putting anything else in the primary slot.

It has taken me a fair few goes to get used to how the SASR plays, but now i have the hang of it and i love it.

Has anyone else had a change in fortune like this after trying something different?
  2. MaDiv

With the SASR, you can instagib people, meaning that if ur HSR on 1st shot isn't the worst, you will kill more people with it than with the Vandal because once dead, they are dead and cannot run away.
    I'd say this could be primarily the reason why your streaks have increased, but I wouldn't say it is the sole reason.

The damage application scenarios of the SASR (and instagib-HS snipers in general) are numerous. A 125 SMG low muzzle velocity for instance will only really excel in CQC and using it in MR fights is not advisable. You have to get within its optimal range in order to reliably kill someone, but snipers however don't. Two/three shots will always get you a kill for non HA classes.

But having a new weapon often also means adapting to a new playstyle because each weapon serves a certain role in combat. Ofc u can use a HC1 Coughar in CQC, but it primarily excels in MR fights so I for example personally stick to that and get incredible killstreaks with it.
    Having that in mind, I'd say that this weapon may fit your playstyle better than the Vandal, but it's just an assumption :D

Oh, and I had such moments as well: Especially now that I run with the 167DMG supremacy faction ;)The damage application is so incredible, I think it will take me some time till I switch back to TR :'D
  3. infilallday

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

When i headshot with the Vandal, the fight wasnt over. I had to land a couple more shots which was harder to do. Now with the SASR, if i get a headshot, 90% of the time they are dead and its onto the next victim.
    I have won 1v1 fights with LAs running directly at me after they have fired first. SASR puts me at a range where this is possible.

I couldnt do that with the vandal.

Im so pumped. Ive also noticed i have become much more proficient with the Underboss than i was. Guess all those infiltrator videos ive been watching are paying off!
  4. Eternaloptimist

I find the SASR and the Vandal both kill with 2 headshots, but the SASR does it at longer range. I use SASR on all factions - they are beasts since the ballistic computer came along and recoil was reduced
  5. infilallday

SASR is 1 headshot out to 200m

They really need to rename this rifle. SASR for NC is Special Application Sniper RIfle. Its a bolt action.

When you mention SASR, people automatically assume its a Semi-Auto Sniper rifle, which it most certainly is not.
    You can only equip a 4x scope as the strongest and hence there is no scope sway

So i understand the confusion
  6. Corezer

could also be just getting a little better. This game has a severe skill floor issue due to how valuable headshots are in general. The difference that just that little bit of practice, where you can get your headshots pretty consistently and are more confident in taking the shot, can make will take you from a 1.5ish kd guy to a 2.5 all on it's own, and you climb pretty rapidly from there.
  7. infilallday

I agree with the confidence thing. Once you arent afraid to pull that trigger it becomes a lot easier. I find myself headshotting people on the run now whereas before i wouldnt even shoot at a moving target.

The next biggest step for me to take is headshots with the sidearm. I bought the commissioner for this (should have got the blackhand) I usually run underboss which is a bit more body spammable. Just havent got the confidence up yet to go for it.
  8. Wargeist

I've used the Blackhand a lot and while I like that it fills the niche that it fills (like mini-sniper for LA or stalker Inf), the recoil on it makes it not user friendly at all. Also lately, and maybe I'm the only one having this issue, even when I hit my shot the red "X" isn't popping up much of the time. The target still takes damage but I don't get an indicator, which is throwing me off as I don't know for sure that my aim is on or not. Only happening with the Blackhand for some reason.

The Commissioner has some kick as well, but not as bad as the Blackhand. So depending on what ranges you plan on engaging in, the Commissioner may be a better choice.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ragnarock

When I came back to PS2 after a long break, I was getting destroyed 7/24 for the first few days. Then I learned how they changed the headshot damage model and stuff. And basically yeah, you either aim to the head or you lose. Simple as that.
  10. infilallday

This is what im finding too. Headshots are king. Doesnt matter if you shoot first, if its not headshots its a waste of time.

I switched to LA and i notice this is even more the case. Aim at head and control recoil on auto weapons. You can drop people super fast like this.
  11. Corezer

That's why burst carbines are king... Unless you're NC lol
  12. Ragnarock

While I appreciate headshots being important, the bodyshot TTK is absolutely too high.

Playing with the NC default gauss saw, with a 3.4x scope. Even from extreme range , lining a few headshots results in a very clean kill, and with the very same gun I need to hit someone like 10 times in the chest to get a kill in CQB combat.

If this game wants to give the newbies any chance at all, the chest should take more damage. I can understand legs and arms taking less damage. But this is way too punishing.

(I would like to remind that while asking for this change, I am not a struggling player. as an infantry only player my kdr atm is 2.15 , which would be a lot higher If I knew about this headshot thing sooner. I'm telling this because I feel like bodyshots are basically useless.)
    • Up x 1
  13. That_One_Kane_Guy

With no Nanoweave, Aux Shield or Overshield and perfect accuracy most guns have ~0.6 body-shot TTK which isn't low but it is far from high. Unfortunately the problems start when you add in all of the modifiers that give players increased health against body shots which throws a lot of weapon performance out of wack. There are a lot of guns that are considered to be "hard-countered" by NW.

For new players this is compounded by the fact that they will typically be just trying to hit the target, while an experienced player will be aiming for the head. Since NW doesn't protect against headshots, a new player will be doing less damage to his target while an experienced player will be killing that much quicker since his headshots aren't affected.

I still believe that the correct route would have been to give players the option to equip Nanoweave (20% bullet resistance) OR Magnum Ammo (*20% Bullet Damage) so that players could choose whether they wanted consistant weapons or increased survivability. This was a system used in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it worked well.

*To make this fair they would have to let NW affect headshots, otherwise certain weapons would become broken.
  14. infilallday

Remove nanoweave altogether
  15. Ragnarock

Wouldn't it be easier to just remove NW and start balancing things from there?
  16. That_One_Kane_Guy

Killing it would be the quickest and simplest solution, but people have already spent certs (and possibly cash) on nanoweave. From Daybreak's perspective, it is easier to simply add a new option to provide players with the potential for variety and give the incentive to spend more certs than it is to remove something from the game, refund certs, and potentially make a whole bunch of people unhappy.
    • Up x 1
  17. infilallday

Very true
  18. Lee Weldon

I actually don't think people realise the impact unlocking some new guns can have, they usually recommend getting everything else before a new gun, but the moment I started unlocking CQC guns and being able to diversify my loadouts I jumped from like 0.4 kda to like 1.5-2. So I know the feeling, I don't think its about the playstyle so much at all more so that you had no other good options at this range prior (maybe a little bit playstyle to want to play these ranges). But your effective range atleast for new NC players is ~40-50m on every gun and then like 150m on the longshot (if you can even snipe). But then what about every other range?