[Suggestion] Over the shoulder 3rd Person

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MichaelMoen, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Pelojian

create a second account and look at yourself directly through a second character on the other client, stalkers would love your feature hide somewhere and be able to see anyone from any direction moving their way.
    • Up x 1
  2. Icehole1999

And then we have this issue. Didn’t think of that. Good one.
  3. PlanetBound

That view would let your enemies look over obstacles. Like you can in a vehicle.
  4. xPanzer

This is the only 3rd person I would ever agree with. Would love to see What I spent my money on.
  5. DemonicTreerat

As a PS1 player.. NO.

Way too much cheese happened there because being able to look around corners allowed the surge monkey at the top of the staircase to know when someone was coming while it was impossible for the team heading up the steps to see anything until the lag-abusing cheat was in their midst with his 1-shotting "single then triple shoot exploit" jackhammer.

Given that 3rd person is available for vehicles but not infantry I'm pretty sure the developers also took note of what 3rd person view for infantry allowed and said "nope, not happening this time."

If you want to be aware of what is coming without exposing yourself then I suggest playing an infiltrator or carrying a crossbow with detect bolts. Otherwise take the same risk as the rest of us do by stepping around the corner every so often.
  6. MichaelMoen

Many people are citing spying around corners as the one big reason this would be a bad idea, but really all i cared about was being able to see my own character while playing, thus giving more incentive to personalize via custom armors and helms. I dont particularly get enjoyment from looking at them on others.

If you lock the camera just behind the shoulder you still have no awareness to the rear and sides. Once you actually would see someone behind you itd be too late anyway. This was never meant to be a noob crutch.
  7. TomoB

I'd be glad to see it taken away from vehicles, it annoys the sheit out of me in every game. Seems cheating when pro drivers see me when I'm trying to sneak behind them to give some C4 love etc. because they have that hovering cheat cam showing everything around their vehicles.
  8. Ragnarock

So that people can peek around corners without actually getting in danger? I don't think so.
  9. Liewec123

10. Bansheedragon75

That some people are able to look around corners like they used some kind of 3rd person mode does not mean it should be added as a game mechanic.
    As others have already explained, it would give an unfair advantage over those that dont use it, forcing them to either remain at a disadvantage or using the 3rd person view just to stay competitive.

This is a first person game, and as such 3rd person view should not exist.

As for vehicles having 3rd person, I have never seen any vehicles with such an option so perhaps you could tell me what vehicles have that option?
  11. FateJH

All vehicles do. Check your vehicle bindings for an ability called "Change Camera." Next time you are driving a vehicle, use that keybind and see what happens. You can also use it from passenger or gunner seats but they rarely produce the same dramatic effect as being the driver of the vehicle.

The original developers added the third-person camera change really early on because they felt the default camera view was insufficient for proper maneuvering.
  12. Pelojian

i suggest you try to play vehicles and use third person camera, most of the time vehicle drivers aren't using it, in third person no crosshair, which only makes it useful at shorter ranges when you know someone is around somewhere and drop isn't an issue.

if you want a vehicle dead you can keep trying without losing resources, if the vehicle fails to spot you even once they lose their vehicle.

the only thing third person lets you do is see closely around your vehicle's chassis and over light cover that is close to you.

if you want to C4 a vehicle attack from straight above, they literally can't aim directly up to see you, I've killed tons of vehicles this way as light assault.
  13. TomoB

"Only" allows driver to see over light cover and all around his vehicle and enough rear so that C4-sneaking doesn't come as a surprise. Also 3rd view is much faster way to look around because gummy feel of 1st person view is absent and driver can instantly change views instead of slowly rotating the turret. And nothing prevents HC tankers from drawing crosshair on their screen if they are really into vehicles and want to be most effective in every situation.
    • Up x 1
  14. SquirtAttack

Just allow 3rd person in the warpgates.... Then you can check out how awesome you look in various poses and running around.
  15. DemonicTreerat

Its not only behind you. In fact 3rd person rarely let you see someone coming up behind you. It was being able to literally look around a corner you were facing without having to expose yourself that was the problem. To see what a I mean drive a flash against the corner of a base wall such that in 1st person all you can see is the wall. Now flip to 3rd person and you'll find you can see around that corner without having to move at all. Yeah its a huge advantage; no need to move at all (and thus no blip from radar, darts, etc) until you're ready to pop out and fire and you can adjust your aim to adjust for the other guys crouching or standing. All without risking giving away anything.

Now for vehicles third-person perspective is not a big issue because certain measures were taken to prevent that sort of abuse. Such as no sight, no practical way to adjust for elevation, etc. Plus vehicles need 3rd person when driving around obstacles to see where they've gotten hung up since in Planetside even a 100+ ton MBT can get stopped by a small tree.

Now I'm not against 3rd person for taking screen shots etc. But the only way I can see infantry getting it without all the associated problems would be if going into 3rd person removed the ability to render hostile players & vehicles while it was active and it took a few tenths of a second to activate/ leave to prevent the usual way to get around such limitations. Otherwise its just too big an edge to be allowed.
    • Up x 3
  16. Pelojian

there's a reason people use light assault to deliver C4, mobility, more attack angles, more vertical cover and more chance to live through a failed C4 attempt.

the reason why people don't typically use c4 on non-light assaults against tanks: attacks on a flat plain are far easier to watch for and alert tanks will find and kill them unless distracted.

the devs are consistently watering down tanks, all to appease low skill, unwilling to learn infantry.

ground based c4 attacks have never been that effective against an aware tanker for a long, long time. why should that change now? haven't the devs nerfed tanks enough with unjustified changes? c4 is powerful there should be risk in approaching a tank on foot with it, considering the tank costs more resources and all you have for a failed attempt is the loss of a small amount of time

attack from above as a light assault with your anti everything grenade, that defies balance in favor of all round equal effectiveness, rather then trying to again nerf tanks to water down gameplay.

infantry favor C4 because it's the cheapest resource wise and laziest gameplay wise, they can nuke a tank with c4 then go back to their meatgrinder rather then pull hard counters.

so you know they can see above and through cover and near them via third person, so why attack from the horizontal plane where there is a strong possibility they will see you if they are alert?

c4 against vehicles is a sneaking weapon, someone more skilled would use light assault and a vertical attack profile to kill the vehicle and minimize being sighted before the attack is underway, preferably from a high branch on a tree covered by foliage so you don't have to hover with your jetpack.

refusal to apply skill or pre-thought is not a reason to nerf something.
  17. TomoB

Yes, because tanks are using 3d view.

To me it seems that skilled tankers are still doing way better than fine, especially if they are in a tank squad.

I follow the tank on foot for 5mins just to find good time to sneak up on him and use C4, he quickly detects and kills me using his godview and I have to spawn far far away thanks to weird spawn system this game has not allowing me to spawn wherever I want. But that's OK because tanker might have been so poor that he wouldn't have been able to spawn new tank for few minutes! The pain he would have suffered on foot, unwilling to learn inf!

Just like that you say? First of all, inf need very special situation to use C4 where tank is completely unaware of their presence. And to me those situations seem to be very rare, unless tanker is muppet who stuffs his tank to weirdest small places inside bases just asking for C4.

So having one class that is unaffected by vehicle cheat cam makes it allright. Ground inf still get shafted but who cares, they shouldn't be able to be skilled at sneaking with C4 anyway like the Rocketeer men - who wouldn't have much use in the game otherwise.
  18. TomoB

In another thread ppl are talking how they can get crosshair in 3d view using some kind of add-on or overlay so that claim is kinda busted. They also switch to 3d view quickly so stuff can be checked in 1st person view.
  19. Pelojian

1)how can you tell whether he is using third person or not? lets not forget tanks can equip radar and see every moving infantryman not shielded by ether crouch walking with catlike or moving with sensor shield.
    any player suffering too many successful c4 attacks in their tanks in a session may be heavily tempted to equip radar.

2)no they don't, all you need to bag a tank with C4 is to engage it from above or behind/sides when it's distracted, any tanker that also knows how to C4 as a light assault will know the methods from the simple to advanced ones, meaning sneaking up behind them on foot is an expected scenario, so they watch their backs from time to time.

if they are distracted firing at a target that will survive for a decent amount of time your attack will be viable, like say another vehicle or a construction object being repaired.

and if you do get spotted part way through the attack, you can still win, you win by clever evasion with jump jets any other class ether has to feebly attempt to escape or die.

3)merely because you disagree with it, doesn't make it a cheat, it's an intended function in the game any vehicle user can activate and the devs are fully aware of it. to be a cheat it would have to be at the very least 'unintended gameplay' from the dev's perspective, not the perspective of some disgruntled low skill C4 user.
  20. DemonicTreerat

First no accounting for mods - aka quasi-legal cheats. Stupid people who need crutches so they can boost their self-worth will always get someone to write something for them and claim its "not a cheat" due to "everyone can have it". Only fix for that is requiring some sort of non-prepaid credit or debit card payment (even just 1 USD) along with a a "zero tolerance" policy that such that a first offense sees said person as well as everyone connected to them is permanently banned with public humiliation.

Second. There is a bit of a timer between 1st and 3rd person. Not a lot but as a tanker I can testify that its enough to give a fast-moving target a chance to slip out of your line of sight. So nope, my statement still stands. Try again kiddo because your "I WANT MY CHEATS!" isn't getting off the ground right now.