The ASP 10k Certs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MichaelMoen, May 12, 2018.

1. Twin Suns

I run dedicated medic. I have no incentive for the ASP from my point of view.

If they give me the option of ditching my sidearm so I could run more triage, then yes.
  2. Roxxlyy Community Relations

It's definitely going to take a while to grind those certs, but the ASP System was created to be a sort of "end game" content for veteran players who had hit max Battle Rank and unlocked most of the other things they were interested in.
  3. AtckAtck

While i still think it is kind of unfair to demand 10k if all you can store in your wallet is 10k, but that is somewhat of a side topic,
    10k certs is not so much as one might think.
    I unlocked the asp with certs when it came out. (With a very grumpy face i might add.)
    This is how long ago, some months maybe? I could unlock it again by now.

There isn't any vital eqiupment left to buy, so i wait til i hit the cap and then go: "Well, what do i unlock now... Yes, let's do ammo upgrade 10 for the bulldog on the harrasser."

It is not like i own every weapon, but only because there are still many unlocked that i havend auraxed yet. I will buy them sometime later. After all i only have like 55 auraxium medals now, there is still room for more ;-).
  4. LaughingDead

As long as it isn't a repeating cycle, 10k is a lot of certs, while I do generally have enough certs to wipe my *** with, I'd really hate for another gate for just more meaningless points.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the asp in general, I just don't feel like the majority of them really have an impact enough to be worth the grind in most cases. No one wants to grind to 10k to get flash nades on all classes, shotgun secondary? eh ok. Medic with a long range weapon and a close range AR? Ok now that's neat. But there's almost nothing that really adds to the experience. It doesn't make me a better medic, heavy, tanker or otherwise, I guess it's truly just for people with too many certs to rub together but it just seems to me that it deters new players than creates. It's a no brainer that it's an additive bonus on top of the regular progression, you get certs AND special points that help you further specialize in what you like, for newbies that what to get certs now and quick, this seems like a hurdle, if you don't start with it, you could lose out on multi-grinding different things.

Sure this is an interesting way to make a cert sink/make money by adding incentive to make more members but for players who want to get hooked, looks like a turn off.

Ironically adding easy "content" (since a majority of the asp is just passive bonuses and equip weapon slots) for endgame players may actually stunt playerbase growth for these up and comers.

I do agree a gate ought to be in place for this type of system, using the currency for every other part of the game does not seem like the most effective. If it was an over time thing, like it automatically happened at a certain amount of experience over just certs and you could unlock it with membership anyhow, would feel better than pay the toll of 10k certs. Then newbies would be like "Oh, this is just really late game content that I have to play for, works for me" over "Oh, so I need to have the equivalent amount of 10 different guns and/or tools to get this endgame content over progressing my character early on..." . I mean for hooking strategies, you don't even want the player worrying about the endgame as soon as they start the game right? You just want them to play. At the point they're level 50 they like the game enough to buy membership over quitting at level 10 because they want the asp first but are miserable trying to earn the certs for it early on.

This doesn't sound crazy right?