[Suggestion] Gender Change Token

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MasterDemoman, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MasterDemoman

Just gonna throw it out there, I feel like it could be a simple way for the devs to make a quick few bucks.

I've spent over 3 grand on this game since I started playing, and I'd definitely go for whatever the price is to make my character more personally likable (Even if I don't see them 90% of the time, lol.) Perhaps it may clear up why I think this'd be a neat addition to the game if I mentioned that I am trans. Created my character years before coming out, haha. Now, having a male character as my main doesn't particularly bother me, mostly cause of the Kommando voice pack, but I'd still spend a few bucks to swap their gender.

Obviously the previously mentioned voice pack wouldn't transfer over, considering you have to buy them separately for male and female characters, but that doesn't really bother me either. Anyway, that's really all I have to say about this, thank you for reading.
    • Up x 3
  2. Sazukata

I made the same thread a month ago. I also would like to see this as a feature.

And congrats on your transition.
    • Up x 2
  3. MasterDemoman

Thank you so much!! I haven't been on the forums in a while because I only recently got back into the game after the ASP update, probably gonna renew my membership soon.
  4. Roxxlyy Community Relations

I don't think creating one of these is going to be a priority for us, though it might be something that's relatively easy to do - I'll keep it in mind and try to figure out how possible this might be!
    • Up x 3
  5. JibbaJabba

Make anything gender related like that free.

Female gamers are already underrepresented and they have to deal with a lot of unnecessary crap that they shouldn't have. If they spun up a male toon and have decided they want to switch to female they should be able to. If they are catching too much BS from males and want to temporarily hide behind a male avatar, they should be able to do that too.

Other model and cosmetic stuff: Sorry... you're just gonna have to pay up.

Gender related stuff though? Be good corporate gaming citizens and make that a free option.

Thanks.
    • Up x 2
  6. DIGGSAN0

Uhhhh how about ******* no?

First of all you don't even see your own Character while playing (except in loadout)

Second, nobody just writes you beaucause you have a female char choosen, i know, in fact, dozens of male players with female chars which were never contacted by other people.

Thirdly, the change from Male to Female and vise versa does cost much time if it is possible, think about all the purchased things like Voicepacks etc. So you will have to pay that time....and yes, with real money.

If you so desperatly want to change the gender, just make a new char, it seems like you couldn't decide in the first place anyway
    • Up x 2
  7. Sazukata

Answer me this, then: Why do people buy cosmetics?

Congrats on using anecdotal evidence as well as being completely tone deaf to online gaming culture. Maybe you've gotten used to it or it doesn't affect you, but the "boy's locker room" atmosphere on this and many other games gets old real fast.

What to do with gender-specific items is something to deal with, sure. But voice packs for example have their male/female equivalents.

Forfeiting all progress just to change a visual aspect of a character would be silly when we could instead see about getting a useful feature implemented.

If this isn't something you'd care about, then don't worry about it. The fact that JibbaJabba's post caused a defensive response is weird, to be honest.
    • Up x 1
  8. Eranorz

As for avatar/gender change, I really don't see why it's not an option already, seems to me an easy way for DBG to make some coin and people to get what they want. Frankly I can't see them making it a free service, games like WoW have been doing it as a microtransaction for years now.
    • Up x 1
  9. raffa2

Point at him and laugh, he's a vanu professional
  10. Luicanus

To support the game... Also most of the cosmetics I've bought are visible on vehicles and/or decrease my visibility to enemies as infantry.

You're right that anecdotal evidence is unreliable but then the original claim was also anecdotal. One person says this has happened and the rebuttal was that many others have no experience of it. The point being that based off of only anecdotal responses it seems to be a limited problem.

However, a more nuanced look at the matter would consider the chatter of the players, regardless of avatar if you sound like a dude on comms no one is going to mistake you for a chick, vice versa.

I'd not be opposed to translating over the voice packs and equivalent cosmetics where possible although the "equivalent" might not be as good looking/sounding in your mind.

Getting the feature implemented wouldn't be bad if it could be done easily as may be the case. But in terms of how many people would purchase a redesign of their avatar it might still not be economically worthwhile. Likewise if it's free it'd certainly lose money.