[Suggestion] Slow down base cap depending of the amount of vehicles and other force multipliers inside the hex.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Gustavo M

Title. Something to "punish" zerging and to "balance" interactions between vehicle, ESF and infantry: "If you want to help a base cap by shelling out tank shells inside a enemy spawn room -- remember that you are also slowing down your empire to cap the base where you are at."
    If the opposing faction spawns (a) tank(s) and it "balances" force multipliers -- this penalty is nullified.

--

Hell, I'd be fine if (also) each "vehicle to infantry" kill delays the base cap by three seconds.
    Oh, and of course... this is meant only as a "vehicle versus infantry" situation -- if a tank kills a enemy tank, nothing will happen, etc.
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

So, if you're spawn camped, you'll still be spawn camped, but the spawn camp will last for ages longer?
    • Up x 3
  3. BanthaFodder

That actually sounds like a good idea for some sort of random "skirmish alert". Although rather than force multipliers, instead faction populations, the more one faction gets out popped the slower the base timer. This should force platoon leads to split the platoon across the continent creating smaller skirmishes.
  4. strikearrow

This is a combined arms game. The problem is it has shifted more infantry side. The problem is not spawn camping, the problem is that defenders do not pull vehicles from other bases and relieve or at least try to relieve the spawn camp. Although, longer base cap times might allow more defender relief forces to arrive. Big open field fights are fun (except wraith flash, cloaked Ant and stalker infil cheese).
    • Up x 3
  5. chamks

i like this idea, but if you deeply think into it, its kinda the defender empire fault to abandon their defence and letting the attacker empire to zerg a base
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

T
    The problem is defenders not admitting that they are outnumbered and have no chance of winning. The battle is lost, go somewhere else.
    • Up x 2
  7. LordKrelas

If the enemy zerg is attacking, then You expect the defenders to retreat to the warpgate, and just wait?
    As by the basis of being out-numbered: Even if they had time to regroup, they will lose again by the Numbers.
    They lost the vehicle battle originally, without a change, they always will.
    Which means, What exactly are they to do? Abandon the entire lane?

Ah yes, they pressed the "Allow Enemy Zerg to form" button.
    You do realize, most bases don't allow the defense to hold even the exterior wall with equal numbers?
    Against a zerg, most bases can't be defended at all.
    Hell, platoon or two dropped via Galaxy spam, right at the points, and the spawn: Good luck.

Think Deeply into it, the Bases aren't designed to Hold.
    Most of the choke-points are on the defenders - and everything is manual.
    So unless they sit there well ahead, and out-number the attacking force, the base's defenses are useless.
    And it's a brawl at the points, near instantly.

While the spawn room is exposed to the exterior, from positions of cover, easily reached from the outside.
    Sounds counter-productive.
    • Up x 1
  8. LtBomber1

One problem is also, defenders often just start deploying when the attack is halfway through. If one faces a base spawnlocked, one should deploy back and prepare defenses.
    Same for the guys zerging: Sometimes it is better to install sundies before the base is capped...

Most players play a very undynamicly gameplay, and exactly this is a zergs strengh. A zerg can usually be outcapped and delayed by mobile troops...
  9. Diilicious

I will never understand why people want to basically remove or PUNISH what makes the game special, I.E INFANTRY, TANKS, VEHICLES, AIRCRAFT, EVERYWHERE, THOUSANDS OF THEM!

to what would basically be any other shooting game on the market only with worse hit reg, go and play those other games... like damn.

To defend your own base from a zerg the most important thing to do is to outnumber/overpower the enemy vehicles with your own, once you start putting pressure on the sunderers they either defend them (less people going to the Cap) or lose them meaning MUCH less people going to the cap and less able to maintain the cap. The attack will melt away in a minute or two, then you can focus on taking the Cap back.

To attack a base with a zerg then the most important thing is to outnumber/overpower the enemy infantry inside the base, if that doesnt happen having even millions of vehicles wont make a bit of difference.
    • Up x 1
  10. Gustavo M

There's more than one base each continent, you know.
    Oh, and I came up with this idea after situations like...
    [IMG]
    ...this one.
  11. FateJH

Defenders could benefit from this logic the same way attackers might. The statement itself is interpretative.
    What about it?
  12. Gustavo M

Attackers can only cap one base per time (sometimes two, three or even four -- depending of how the lattice lines are being held.) while defenders have multiple options to spawn/defend (including out of the "zerged" base). So no, it's not interpretative.
    If you can't see what is wrong with it... then I'm afraid I can't help you.
  13. adamts01

Vehicles killing infantry is fine. It's silly to punish that. But I do hate unopposed zergs, and you might be on to something.

Instead of basing this on armor:infantry, just base it on population disparity. Zergs should be fighting other zergs, that's when fights are fun, not when each faction basically caps in circles all night without firing a shot.

As for vehicle disparity, I had an idea of reducing/increasing nanite generation depending on how many vehicles your side has compared to the enemy. So if you're the lone ESF giong against a gank squad all night, you can chain pull ESF while they'll start to be starved of nanites if they die a few times. So air:air is one category, ground armor:ground armor, and infantry:infantry. So if you're the 1-12 being camped by 96+, they'd be out of nanites while you could chain pull Maxes. You wouldn't win the fight, but you'd have a lot more fun going against the odds. I'm also in favor of bumping up XP depending on local pop instead of continent pop, which would draw players to defend against the masses.
    • Up x 2
  14. hansgrosse

Hm. I can't say I'm a huge fan of messing with base cap timers as an anti-zerging/force multiplier mechanic. I'd MUCH rather see an XP penalty based on the population disparity in a given hex; the more one faction outnumbers the other (s), the less XP the outnumbering faction earns for a given action.

To further this effect, XP bonuses for playing an underpop faction could be made to account for populations per hex rather than populations per server.

I really do think such a change would be pretty effective in evening populations during base fights.
  15. FateJH

"Two, three, or even four" sounds a lot like "multiple" to be honest.

For every defense, there is some offense. A defense that can't hold gets pushed back. An assault that can't move forward stymies. Sometimes defense is not the best idea. Sometimes assault is not the best idea. There is always somewhere not where you currently are to go to assault. There is always somewhere not where you currently are to go to defend.
    If there's "more than one base per continent," any or all of those above conditions can apply. The defenders and attackers could both go someplace else.
    Considering you're insistent on fighting a lopsided battle from the inside out, you may need more help than I.
  16. Pat22

I do not believe there should be an in-game mechanic to do the defenders' job for them.

If the enemy has force multipliers on the field, all one needs to do is eliminate them. Go to another nearby base, grab some tanks, some aircraft, whatever it is you need, and attack them from a flank.
  17. AEROCHAOSS

Really, a tank which is shelling the spawn room is punished by shooting even longer that room? This makes kind of no sense.

Chaining one esf vs like 4 flak and three enemy esf, good luck with staving those out.

Usually an enemy zerg stops, when they reach the warp gate or the guys just get bored by finding no targets, except spawn warriors. By this increased nanite gain would just end in a spawn room filled by max, funny tho but silly.
  18. Diilicious

1st - ask for help, even if it means redeploying somewhere else for a moment to use /re chat where there are lots of your allies.

2nd - you pull a skyguard from the base to the right and make all the air go bye bye, put mines on the road so when the harrasser comes to say hello thinking hes gonna get a free skyguard kill he wont be able to stop intime to take some mine hits, then if hes not dead you can finish him off easily. If you have a friend they can get a prowler and -easily- kill all of the enemy sunderers and the lightnings which obviously are up there for the farm and will be taking hits from behind from that angle if the prowler gets on the hill to the north east.

3rd - Once all the vehicles are dead, all you'll need to do is kill each of the people still at the base, which will be the hardest part but if people answered your call for help then it wont be too difficult, as the enemy cant respawn as fast.