confirming the rpm in big battles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by typnct, Apr 8, 2018.

1. typnct

results - 850+ rpm weapons lose 30-25% rpm
    750 rpm - lose 15-20%
    600 rpm - lose 5%
    500 and under - 5-none% lose

please devs fix this as this gets all high rpm weapons to be useless
    one of the most shocking of these is the lynx that has 909 rpm and gets about 680 rpm
    • Up x 4
  2. adamts01

I left my TR main for a while and got my NC up to 70 something. It's amazing how well NC guns work. The only thing TR has going for it anymore are the Mossy and the Striker.
    • Up x 1
  3. Eternaloptimist

I was wondering why my kill performance in big battles was down - I usually run Lynx/Jaguar, VX6-7 and suchlike. I recently swapped to NS11C and got better but didn't know why. I thought it was the better stability of NS weapons but now I see there is another possible explanation.
    • Up x 1
  4. FLHuk

5. LtBomber1

Mhh, is this framerate related?
    Even in biggest battles i run 60++ and dont find my weapons restriced in raw killing power...
  6. tommyrocket

If you are playing on a weaker GPU, capping your framerate to something a bit under your max FPS that you get in large battles (minimum FPS you get) should fix the issue. Loss of firerate has been tested by users throughout the years, and the conclusion is pretty much:

GPU usage at 99%+ = loss in fire rate
    Low CPU MHz can also cause a loss in fire rate

You either have to get really high, stable FPS, or cap it. Cap it only with useroptions.ini, don't cap it with rivatuner statistics server or nvidia profile inspector-- you'll incur input lag and lose fire rate more.

I personally cap at 55 and can achieve well over that even with my i5 4690k and GTX 750 Ti (2gb VRAM). 16GB RAM along with that.

Since by today's standards it is in-fact a weaker GPU, I sometimes get GPU-bound, and I lose firerate, most noticeable on the Watchman and Lynx. Once I fixed it by capping framerate with or without smoothing... the weapons stopped being terrible. Amazing, isn't it?

Some older tests from people on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/5meifs/fps_affecting_rof_in_ps2_2017/

Another, from Iridar a month or more ago:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/7zrgmi/test_rate_of_fire_vs_framerate/

If you look at those, it is explained a lot better.
  7. blackboemmel

How did the results got confirmed? Any link or something?
  8. LodeTria

Yes, it is frame-rate related.
    Even 60fps doesn't fire at full RPM, but the lost fire-rate isn't nearly as notice-able compared to 30fps and less, which is what most big battles (96+v96+) end up in.
  9. typnct

What i had was from 50 to 60 fps
    Max setting and it was tested by some friends on nc and the vs

Ive tried to check how to increase the rpm and still the rpm went down by a lot usually giving these results of which the most absurd was the lynx
    With 25% rpm loss aka 10 bullets left in the chamber
    Making it useless in big battles

And on 48 v 48 battles it was abit better but still even on 60 fps it had a lot of loss
  10. DeadlyOmen

No proof is needed. React, and be gratified.
  11. typnct

switch to low rpm weapons as they gave the best results all around

But theres one thing i dont understand
    Why does the rpm stay the same in vehicles without any loss
    Exp esf's dont loose any rpm and sometimes surpass it with low fps
  12. AlcyoneSerene

I would also like to know how you obtained the results.

Someone else was doing the same using audio recording to accurately measure the time to unload a magazine and then calculate the observed rate of fire, and the findings did confirm that rate of fire is lower than stated on many weapons.
  13. typnct

pretty easy how i tested it...
    i made a simple macro that holds the rmb for the weapons full mag exp the lynx(first noticed it there)
    909 rpm = 40*60/909=2.64
    in small battles the loss was 2 3 4 bullets
    in big fights the loss was 10 11 8 bullets
    in extremely large battles it was 11 10 10
    i also asked for some help from other people to test out their fav high low and medium rpm weapons and all the high rpm weapons suffered from low rpm in big battles except low rpm weapons(almost all of them)

so i tested out other weapons and found out that the results are the same

best results so far(still not close to 100% rpm) are with the lynx at huge battles with close to 800 rpm rather than what i had with 680 rpm(max setting g-sync)

so far the best one is freesync,cpu bound shadows to low(weird i know)...

i would like people to test out too because im sure there are setting that get you full rpm(im using gtx 1080 so i usually get 40-60fps(i cant go over it with my screens refresh rate)

anyway post your best results because this is game killing

another funny exp is the carv gets 750 rpm but in practice its leaving 5 to 8 bullets in the mag and on the carv-s 698rpm it gets 1 to 3 left in the mag so a slower firing weapon gets higher rpm................