[Suggestion] Changes to ASP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Luicanus

I've suggested in another thread moving the Harraser into the Transport Discount no one i going to waste a skill on 30 Nanites off a Harraser and 25 off of a Flash.
    Merging it with ANT and Sundee makes it more competative.

That being said I like the fact that you have to make choices. There are enough good ones that you can't have them all so not everyone will be taking the same "clearly the best choice" options.
  2. adamts01

Choice and variety is great. I just want to have some options left over from vehicles to have some infantry fun too.

• ESF discount
    • Lib discount
    • Tank discount
    • Engineer shotgun, to pair with my Archer
    Those are pretty mandatory for vehicle players. So there's only a single option left for infantry fun? That sucks, especially if we aren't able to reasonably re-spec. I'd love concussion grenades on my medic and LA. I'd like to play around with an LMG on my engineer. Two pistols on my Stalker would be fun, and of course I'd like to run a Lynx with my Hunter if that doesn't get nerfed. Those aren't just sidegrades, they're entirely new playstyles that vehicle-main vets would love to experience but would miss out on.
  3. Luicanus

I agree that all three of those vehicle ones were on my short list for wanted skills but when it came to the crunch time I dropped the Aircraft ones and have tagged the Lightning/MBT skill to be picked when I use this.

As a vehicle player I know I'd get use out of all of them but I've had to make a judgment call as to which suits me best. Would I rather have X or Y? You can augment you vehicles more than I'm choosing to but I'll have superior infantry capacity.

The point is that they're not mandatory. They're personal choices based on what you think is most important to you. My understanding is that they don't want people to all pick the same ones.

If there were "All ground units" and "All air" options those two would be clearly superior to most other options.
  4. adamts01

Most players wouldn't choose "air discount", and probably half wouldn't chose "tank discount". Everyone would chose "all grenades", and all would use a 2nd primary of some sort on whatever classes they play most. I just think they could be a touch less stingy.
  5. Makora

What bothers me most about this is that DBG has consistently shown disregard to MAX's. Now I understand the kneejerk hate some people have for them, they disrupt the normal flow of small scale combat but honestly in cases MAX's are already used, they come as a stable and expected part, with the only surprise being behind what corner and how many there are.
    But I'd argue the same for Light Assaults. They disrupt the flow of battle in a base and have far too effective tools for the insane mobility they possess.

But honestly other then a discount option or a sort of "Refund" of resources if you die too quickly after spawn and a passive resistance to C4, I can't imagine what could be done for MAX's with the ASP system. It's not like we could strap LMG's to our arms. Not only because it would look a bit silly but also because it would be a straight up, no questions MASSIVE damage buff. If only infuriatingly more inaccurate.
    But while little to nothing can be added to MAX's in a thinkable way, I am simply worried that other classes are consistently given more and more tools that ultimately allow them to counter MAX's. The tipping point is fast coming if not already here where MAX's even in their niche situations simply aren't worth the cost and hassle of resources, certs and usage.
    • Up x 2
  6. DIGGSAN0

I keep asking myself:

WHY, why did the implement a new currency....

couldn't they just use the Directive points as currency?
    After reaching of BR 100 you should already have some so it would be better invested into some ASP
  7. Luicanus

I certainly agree that there are changes that could be made, there are too many atm which are simply uncompetitive. But to my estimation the fact that they make you choose between a variety of appealing options is a good thing, otherwise it just becomes another linear upgrade path.
    Which is why I'm in favour of keeping the upgrades split so long as they can be made competitive compared to each other.

I suspect you're underestimating how many people would take the air discount, sure the aces would but to get ESFs for 280 and Libs for 360, I'd be on that like a fly on sh*t and I'm not even that good a pilot. It'd mean that I could pull replacements faster and get more practice in.
    By BR 120 most players will have at least tried air and the prospect of getting it all at 20% off would be enough to steer more into taking it, meanwhile as you say it'd be the obvious choice for pilots so we'd see all the decent pilots taking it and the air spam would become unreal, at least this way Libs and ESFs are in different categories so the top pilot have to either pick one or limit their non-vehicular options.
  8. Pelojian

i prefer the current system to the directives point idea, because regardless of how much you play, or farm you can eventually get to the same footing as someone that has the time, skill and server population to farm directive points fast.

of course the current system screws new players, i think they need to at least give out one of the 5 points to everyone regardless of BR (even new accounts), remove the heavy buy in and let a BR1 spend the free point immediately so they get something before they can fully enter the prestige system.
  9. AEROCHAOSS

Well I would say don't give a noob this asp. As they instant buy something that they will regret later. They have no clue of the game. Wait for longer. I'm fine with br 100, as u usually have only some guns, if invested into vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  10. Halkesh

I agree with the idea to remove the 10k cert paywall, but I think it should replaced with a system that allow you to respec for 10k cert or once a month for free for member. This way DBG will get its money more often than once every time a player reach BR 100.
    I disagree with the idea to give ASP to BR 1 because they start the game. What's the point of permanent specialization when you're starting to discover the game ? BR 50-60 should be a better moment to unlock ASP.
    • Up x 2
  11. TR5L4Y3R

personaly i would go for 5000 certs (while still a lot of certs doesn´t feel as harsh) unlock and respec for f2p
    reason is newbies need to be sure not too quickly invest their asp into something they realise being not as useful after
    and VR and koltyr should allow free ASP use ..
    • Up x 4
  12. Halkesh

I think the weakest ASP perks should be merged with other weak perk to make them more competitive choices. Also, I think ASP miss squad and leader perks.
    Squad perks will have a small effect that is available to everyone in the squad if the ASP player is the squadleader.
    Leader perks will have no effect for its owner but will greatly enhance new player ability if the ASP player is their squadleader.

Adjustment suggestion for existing perks.
    Grenadier
    Access to Decoy grenade, Smoke grenade and Flash grenade on all class. Replace Universal Decoy grenade, Universal Smoke grenade, HA flash grenade, Infiltrator flash grenade

Universal concussion grenade
    Access to concussion grenade on all class.

Universal AV grenade
    Access to AV grenade on all class. Replace Engineer Anti-Vehicle grenade.
    Suggestion for new perks
    Medical training (universal)
    You can drag / transport friendly dead body. Using a restoration or medkit on a non-MAX corpse will revive him.

Engineer Archer secondary (engineer)
    Allow use of Archer on the secondary weapon slot.

Advanced logistic (squad)
    You can drop-pod a stock flash on your waypoint for free, it have a 5 min cooldown. If you're a squadleader, everyone in your squad will be notified they can also use this perk.

Zerg rush (leader)
    If you're squadleader, all your squadmate that are BR99 or less have a 20% discount on ground vehicle and MAX when using warpgate terminals. If you're not squadleader, this perk have no effect.
    • Up x 1
  13. Luicanus

I seem to recall they stated that they'd considered an Archer secondary and rejected it as OP as it would ruin MAX game-play.

Some interesting ideas though, I've advocated for making the grenades all universal unlocks since they're too low value to be attractive if you're just opening them up for one class. Especially in situations like replacing the LA Flash with concussion grenade which is functionally very similar. I actually think your solution is probably more suitable than mine though.

One idea that came to me while reading your post was a perk that lets you pull an MBT/Lib regardless of what base you're at even a player made base and regardless of whether or not you own a Tech Plant.
  14. Halkesh

I don't see a lot of differences between archer as secondary + any primary and shotgun as secondary + archer as primary.
    The MBT / liberator always available perk is a good idea.
  15. Luicanus

A shotgun - archer is very limiting at medium range. Shotguns are best int the <10m range, Archers aren't great at medium range vs infantry. If the Archer was a secondary you'd be able to take a carbine (or AR if you took that perk) or Smg to give superior mid-range capacity while still being able to lay into MAX units as needed.
  16. frozen north

Agreed there.
  17. OldMaster80

To me all vehicle related perks are pretty pointless. In a game where resources are infinite who the hell would play 100+25 br then invest 10000 certs just to save 60 seconds of vehicle downtime? After all that time one should be able to make the vehicle last enough to sustain the nanites pool.

Infantry perks are either crap (decoy grenades?) or potentially game breaking.
  18. Corezer

every grenade ASP cert that isn't an EMP or sticky variant is garbage, cause that's what they all are in game.

*looks at LA*
    Can we just start calling the class "flying toby" like for real if every class had a capital city I feel LA's would be something like Oakland or Chicago.

carbine infiltrators are... well I've been using a NAC Tempest infil for a long time, and now with gladius NC almost get carbines on their infil anyway... why not lol. oh and the carbine buff is just that, for carbines, not for la/engy, so you don't have to worry about being vulnerable while trying to parkour. it's gonna be great...
  19. Pelojian

they aren't gonna add carbine inf perk, they scrapped it with the heavy second lmg perk. was suprised they responded to the salt so early tbh, since they've ignored tons of stuff for a long long time till they get around the changing what is complained about for better or worse.
    • Up x 1
  20. Luicanus

Well that depends, with the Combat Vehicle perk I could pull an MBT, hit mines after pulling and still pull a second one.
    Or if I was in a squad with newbies who didn't have upgraded armour, I could pull 3 Lightnings in around a minute handing them over to Squad mates as I did so. I regen 75 Nanites a minute.

There are indeed reasons to want them.

I agree that a lot of the infantry perks are too limited to be attractive but generally don't consider most of them to be game-breaking. An infil getting behind you to get the drop on you is functionally identical to a LA doing the same already so it matters relatively little if the infil has a carbine IMO.
    I'm assuming here that the infil wouldn't get the LA's ability to use carbine while airborne as though they were just walking.

Honestly, they're worthless because they're only unlocking for a single class. Personally, I don't like EMP and favour Flash-bang over Concussion, every player has their own preferences.

I doubt that anyone in their right mind is going to waste their hard earned skill points on unlocking a single grenade for a single class.

However, if you could unlock each grenade type for all classes I think people would be interested, imagine a stalker with 4 AV grenades slinking through a tank battle. Waiting for an enemy tank that's damaged to take cover to repair then striking. Or an engineer speced for driving having EMPs to quickly clear minefields.

These options might be a pealing if they were more versatile but atm even the most appealing grenade option pales before the secondary weapons options and the vehicle discounts IMO.