[Suggestion] More Lore? maybe? Why we Fight?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Spartanjcb, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Spartanjcb

I've enjoyed planetside 2 extensively for several years now and I've loved what the team has done with it however one thing that has NEVER been improved since it's launch is the Lore.

I am currently in the process of writing a book that fits into the current canon. In addition, it addresses a few current plot holes in canon as well as creates a decent storyline that any and all players could relate too. It also helps address the issue of motivation... why players play the game, why fight for one team and not another, why fight at all, why spend time and/or money on a game that gives very little to no background on why they should even play it?

Anyways that is really all. If anyone knows who or where a better spot would be to gain the attention of the team please let me know.;)
  2. Halkesh

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  3. Prudentia

shortform:
    Wormhole discovered near Mars
    Colony fleet sent through
    wormhole collapsed
    half the fleet destroyed
    Auraxis gets found and settled
    TR becomes more and more oppresive
    NC forms to break free
    Vanu artifacts get discovered
    TR want to suppress Vanu research
    VS forms from scientists
    NC supports VS because the enemy of my enemy is my friend
    NC gets scared of vanu stuff and tries to destroy the VS
    3 way war, because the enemy of my enemy dies second.
    • Up x 2
  4. Makora

Personally, I think all three factions are just pawns in Nanite System's R&D department. Think about it. We fight over three small, isolated and environmentally very distinct islands. Nothing more then Rocks in an ocean. Every single structure, every single item we see, use and fight in is made by NS or using NS equipment. Not a single one of these areas we fight in has any sort of strategic or economic value because if they did, these places would be much more built up in infrastructure. There isn't a single paved road on any of the "continents". Not a single area clearly built and set up for habitation of a large number of civilians.

So basically we are nothing more then a self-motivating, livefire combat test exercise, providing endless, practical data for NS's research departments. Three departments combating one-another to work out all the kinks in any number of items they field. Directed Energy department fields equipment for the VS side, Electro Magnetic research for the NC and TR as the control with their centuries old tested contemporary equipment with some new pieces thrown in occasionally as they come off the drawing board.

The perfect field test project. They get to test their new products or some underlying technology in said products (can't have any side with a clear advantage) in every single imaginable combat scenario and environment.

What ticked me off was the NSX series of weaponry. They are meant for export. Export to who, exactly? If we're all stuck on Auraxis and there are only three factions on the planet... who are the NS exporting their weapons to?
    • Up x 4
  5. FateJH

I think the "Export" is just a reference to their distinctly Japanese nomenclature. And because "X" Makes Anything Cool.
  6. typnct

there was an interesting book that ive read on wattpad that somebody made about planetside 2 where the vs found out how to connect to ancient alien tech and combine their dna to get super smart and get to leave auraxis if they do.
    the tr is basically trying to stop the war there while contacting the vs and nc desperately because the life supporting resources are dying out and after an incident just before the peace treaty there was an attack on the tr and they started firing back with a horde of artillery towards the fire point but, there were vanu's forces that awaited just incase the peace treaty will go to hell, and it did...
    the nc sent the infiltrators founder(now in the nc) to assasinate the original tr leader before he can replicate his new memories to another point.
    the infiltrator manage to do it, the drawback was that the tr leader didnt order the army to attack but something else did...
    (this says something about the ancient aliens life forms that existed done something to disrupt the peace)
    the nc forces fled back and the vs too as the artillery was to much to handle

the war begun because of this and ended after the planet started to shatter from an unknown reason and they fled as bastion fleets to auraxis moons, and there begun the real war.
    in the end the vs managed to replicate an alien with his old memories and so the war for humanity - the last war has begun

this is basically all i remember from that book ))
  7. Makora

Possibly. But the rest of it still doesn't add up. There absolutely no civilian infrastructure in any of the areas we fight in. Sure there are some beds here and there, a handful of chairs and tables scattered around the entire battle-islands we fight over. But all these areas were set up to fight in. The first thing any commander worth their salt would do when capturing an area (or continent to make it easier) would be to take the control points and bury them underground in a bunker the door of which is located inside the spawn room.
    There isn't a single structure built by any of the other factions. Everything comes with an NS logo stenciled on it. And I don't think other then land, none of these areas have any strategic value. And with Esamir I doubt even that counts because a frozen tundra is useful... why? Resources? We spend about as much as we'd mine out of those forsaken little atolls of dirt.

Now, of course. All of this is because it's a game. These areas have been designed to fight in by the devs and the prefab nature of all the structures makes it easier and cheaper to construct arenas and manage computer resource demands. But it's all a bit too meta not to run with. Though I am still wondering why they haven't even tried to make paved roads. I mean, it doesn't mean they have to be panels or something you lay out. But just a repaint of the ground texture.
    • Up x 1
  8. Spartanjcb

See even plot holes as far as using control points in bases or why they don't just bury the are explained throughout the book. And most of these replys have kind of proved my point.

Generic war between 3 factions that has not progressed in any way since launch. With the exception of adding in construction. But adding in construction did not fix the problem of why we fight (obviously, it wasn't ment too) and it's completely understandable why they have not focused on any new lore... it doesn't make them money. You can't buy lore, XD. This is why I've been looking for a way to try and contact them...
  9. PlanetBound

I may not be alone in this; I play for the reward sounds. Like when you are capturing a point, collecting Cortium, etc.
  10. Makora

Problem is, the lore of the original PlanetSide doesn't apply to PlanetSide 2. It's a retcon at most. A cursory check of the timelines and lore will tell you as much and I think the devs themselves way back when the game was still in alpha mentioned that PS2 takes place in it's own timeline and story, only marginally inspired by the original. And the story or lore we have on the current game is so spotty as to be best described as vaporware. You can write WHATEVER and you can somewhat attach it to the current "lore".
  11. ChiarosR

Was also thinking of writing a few short stories, but never got to it... please keep us updated :)
  12. CplRDaWiggy

I am in complete agreement with this synopsis.

War is a business. Regardless of the motivation, somebody out there is cashing fat cheques.

And given they provide arms to all participants, the constant between the 3 is Nanite Systems.

They're the Weyland Yutani of this universe, just causing mayhem to see what happens and improve stock options.
  13. LtBomber1

Technological Revolution

At year one after the crisis, we were floating through the space.
    We never could return to earth, our home and trustfull base.
    Without a destination, we were drifting just around,
    But like it was a wounder,we settled on new ground.

When we arrived at Auxaris, we dreamd how it could be:
    This shall be our childerns home, now we can be free.
    In union and in peace, for wisdom and for might,
    This world should be a better one, therefor we will fight.

But the Terrans wanted a dictator, the NC anarchy,
    And the fought a cruel war, a endless killing spree.
    We remaind neutral, and staying in our cover,
    Praying to our god that the killing will be over.

We will never forget the the time, the most important day,
    When we found the legacy, guiding our sacred way.
    With the Know-How of the Vanu, after our last breath,
    We now will be reborn, we are cheating against death!

When we shared our invention, we saw a golden age,
    But the others saw undieing soldiers, so the gathered rage.
    With our eyes full of tears, the war was going on,
    But instead of rest in death they will forever be reborn.

There only was one option, we have to end the fight,
    As Vanu Sovernity we united, we became the rightfull knight.
    Faithfull in our minds, we are fighting for our dream.
    We invented endless war, we fight for our redeem.

For freedom and truth, for honor and right
    In the name of Vanu, looking to the light
    In dept of the land, in fear of damnation
    We will give our lives for our holy salvation

For glory and our oath, we sworn with hand on heart
    In our gaint warmachine everyone have to be a part.
    For the greater good, for for now and forever
    We are the end to a war, that is ending never

With weapons of the Vanu, with peace in our mind,
    With love in our hearts and with love for all mankind,
    With strong faith to Vanu, even stronger iron will,
    We are the only force that can do the final kill.

With Vanu looking down on us, smileing on our deeds,
    We are the the only cure, this world so urgend needs.
    We are Vanu’s choosen ones, the next step of evolution,
    We are god’s present to this world, a technological revolution.
  14. LtBomber1

Spreading the word

They call themself a “conglomarte”
    And they call themself “new”
    But behind this awfull maskarade
    We see dictoatorship of few.

They say they set the people free
    They are fighting the supression
    But this future will never be
    They want anachy and aggression!

They sacrife their loyal men
    And send them into hell
    They fool you every time again
    Wake up and break your cell!

They call themself “The Terrans”
    But their Terra is not here.
    They want you build a republik
    But your voice they will not hear!

They fight for law and orders
    For a fake soledarity
    But i see them drawing borders
    Taking freedom away from me

They’re fighting for their “good old times”
    Like things used to be
    But take a look at thier crimes
    They are (the) scource of humanty

But there is an option
    You can life your live free
    The way to do so is quite simple
    Join the Vanu Sovereignity

We are fighting for our future
    For wisdom and technology
    Our (brought) peace will endure
    For no one we will knee

You do not want to serve a king
    But you dont know what you should?
    If you realy want to change something
    Be part of the greater good

We will bring salvation
    We are fighting for the light
    When we have domination
    Our future will shine so bright

We are the move in the stagnation
    We stand for liberty
    We are a positv negation
    Help us getting victory

To join our great nation
    You just have to pray
    Your join is a donation
    Just these words you have to say:

I will trust in Vanu
    As Vanu trusts in me
    The reward for my service
    Will be eternity

I will purge my soul
    As i purge the land
    I fullfill my holy role
    Or i shall be damed

I will smile on Vanu
    As Vanu smiles on me
    If i realy have to die
    At least i will die free!

I will fight heresy
    Only in Vanu i beliefe
    Like vanu is a gaint tree
    And I am just a leaf

The word of Vanu i obey
    For it is my desteny
    I will walk on Vanus way
    And to this oath i will agree!

Welcome brother to our sacred foundation
    Now you will be part of a glorius creation
    So let us fight for our holy destination
    And in the end there will be our well earnd salvation.
  15. Diilicious

16. cubannigthmare

if you see tanks spawning you see the nanite glow for a few seconds. if you see a player spawing, YOU SEE THE SAME NANITE GLOW. coincidence? i think not
  17. typnct

vs - religion lunatics -scientists that basically believe in an alien semi god
    tr - crazy control freaks that believe in peace by war
    nc - rich people ordering poor people to join the war

wow this its hundreds of years in the future and nothing changed

hope in future humanity ---> -OO
  18. Roxxlyy Community Relations

PS2 has the potential for very rich lore, but it's not something that we've gotten to explore much yet. The team is absolutely interested in expanding it, and we've talked about a couple ways we could do so. We're interested in knowing why we fight too!
  19. CaptCran

Ask Human Resources, they know everything.