Rangers are broken OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, Mar 21, 2018.

1. strikearrow

If the MBT has a ranger, then it will destroy an ESF no problem. If the MBT has a walker, then it will also destroy the ESF should the ESF actually try to kill the MBT. If the MBT has a skilled Bali gunner, then the MBT is actually more dangers to an ESF than a walker MBT - granted, it's rare to find a skilled Bali gunner.
    • Up x 1
  2. Prudentia

ease of use and stupidly huge DPS
  3. Stunpi

In my opinion they haven't been pushed out of A2G, rather A2G ESF loadouts are much more inline with the characteristics of a multi-role aircraft, in which angle of attack and getting in and out quickly are paramount to surviving against AA and purposed fighters. In other words, A2G purposed ESF are now actually regulated to a strike role, rather than an A2G support role like liberators.
    • Up x 2
  4. Rydenan

Here?
  5. Prudentia

yeah you can see the flak charges not arming and instead dealing direct damage.
    if i count correctly you hit about 15 to 20 flak detonations and another 5 to 10 direct hits and got the ESF into smoking that way. if you had started firing 20m earlier you might have even killed it, especially as your wristflick-and-miss would have been less pronounced with less relative movement from the ESF at a great distance.
    • Up x 2
  6. Rydenan

But why is there a minimum distance? IMO, an ESF being this reckless should absolutely have been destroyed for basically nose-booping a dedicated AA platform.
    • Up x 2
  7. Prudentia

do you want weapon locks? cause thats how you get weaponlocks
  8. adamts01

ummmm..... Decide on your own stance before you try to convince others to change theirs.

Skill and cost are critical in balance. Think close quarters bolt action vs an SMG. The SMG is easy mode but should lose to the more skilled rifle. And then there's the resource/manpower argument. Harassers are essentially free.

The Ranger is only good at one thing, where the Walker is multi-purpose. So they made the Ranger more effective against air and the Walker less so, even though the Walker requires actual aim so it should be more rewarding. It's all a mess. Rangers need results based on the difficulty of their use, and if it's not versatile enough, then that's the price a player should have to pay till he learns to aim. This is a first person shooter after all.

I 100% agree with this. That was an instance where either Ranger, Walker or Basilisk should have gotten an easy kill. The only way I see G2A ever being balanced is with main AA sources being based on direct hit damage, that way it could be devastating at defensive ranges and taper off to nothing past 1000. Bottom line is that flak is a noob weapon and deserves noob results. Same reason rocket primaries got rightfully nerfed. Ground suffers tremendously because skill-based Walkers don't deal enough damage, and Skyguards are stuck with that ****** area effect mechanic.

A band aid is to add 300 nanites to the cost of a Ranger vehicle. If it's going to lock air out of the fight then coordination with the ground should take it out and have it stay out of the fight for a while, exactly the same as other games with area denial weapons.
    • Up x 2
  9. LordKrelas

Exactly. Damn thing is so ******* cheap, while being that effective.
    Platform issue.
  10. Campagne

Useful =/= Overpowered :p
  11. Silkensmooth

Why cant we find ways to balance g2a and a2g so that its an even fight? 350 resources and 1 player vs 350 resources and 1 player.

I dont understand why a skyguard has to WRECK.

If the skyguard and the ESF had similar ttk on each other that would simply make the skyguard an alternative to using air to fight air instead of a hard counter.

You could make it so that the Skyguard gun is just like an ESF nosegun and the nosegun of the ESF has a similar ttk vs the skyguard as the skyguard has against it.

The skyguard has the advantage of being able to use cover to avoid attack from the ESF. Its easier for the skyguard pilot to get out and repair. The skyguard is clearly a more stable weapon platform.

The ESF has the advantage that it can run away if it chooses to. It has more mobility so it has more evasiveness.

Make it fun for both sides. Instead of getting hit once with a flak round and flying as far away as possible the ESF would engage the skyguard. A fun battle would ensue.

Also changing the gun to more of a stock ESF nosegun type weapon it would be musch more accurate and thus be good at killing infantry who come too close, like a kobalt, and decent at hitting enemy tanks at range although like an ESF nosegun the damage would be quite low.

Currently skyguard is too specialized. As a skyguard driver its very boring because all of the air typically just leaves when you start shooting, and then its completely useless vs anything else.

The whole skyguard mechanic needs to be scrapped. More fun for everyone.
  12. Arskov

What's funny is that, when flying, I'm actually more afraid of Skyguards than of anything with a Ranger. Sure the Ranger has a lower TTK than a Skyguard, but it also has a higher skill floor... meaning it's harder to hit things with a Ranger than it is a Skyguard. Also let's not forget mag size. If I get nailed by a Ranger in my ESF, my first instinct is to start flying like a madman trying to avoid those shots. Miss a few shots with the Skyguard, big whoop. You've got a 70 round magazine. But miss those same shots with a Ranger and you're in trouble because the Ranger only has half the magazine size of the Skyguard. And now that annoying Mozzy is going to run away with his tail between his legs, repair, then come back to bite at you again with the knowledge that he can damage you then run away and survive.

On another note, this is a "combined" arms game. That is to say, various things in the game complement one another. For example, that Ranger 'rasser you're getting killed by is probably supporting an infantry push or an armor column. This is not Halo or Call of Duty, where one player can hero his way over a hundred thousand corpses. Think of this more like an RTS where your forces need to support each other and work together. If you're flying around alone trying to farm easy kills with an ESF while the rest of your friendlies are fighting to hold a point, then you deserve to take those Ranger rounds to the exhaust port. You should be flying where you can do some real good. For example, get together with a group of fellow pilots and fly air support for an armor column. Your tanks on the ground will be looking for vehicles, such as those evil little Harassers, and trying to take them out. Meanwhile, you can be helping them by nailing enemy ESF and Libs to the ground before they can wreck your tanks, or else take advantage of the zone of control your friendlies have established by taking shots at high-threat targets then retreating behind the friendly armor.
  13. Moz

**** me!

An actual Ranger is OP thread.... Now i have literally seen it all!
  14. Halkesh

As prudentia said, it will teamdamage friendly too much (flak splash radius is huge).
    The solution could be to make all airplane more vulnerable to flak (direct) so it won't impact the damage of the ranger/aspis phalanx/burster when airplane are hugging them.

Just in case, you know ranger now have 70 ammo per magazine ?
    As a A2G ESF user, I can tell you I'm mainly focused on doing airstrike to reduce the number of enemies attacking the cap point. From my point of view, it could be cool if devs could give to infantry some "airstrike grenades" that basically work like thermal vision for friendly vehicle/airplanes but limited to the grenade radius.

On the current balance, skyguard has to wreck air because it's a crippling overspecialized gun. Also, I think most of your fact about the skyguard are false :
    • In general, Skyguard can't use cover against ESF (due to Z axis and high mobility it's generally the ESF that use cover from skyguard)
    • Skyguard driver can't repair as long as the ESF is attacking.
    • Skyguard is a stable platform only for driver that can aim while on 3rd person (assuming the target aren't too high because in this case you won't see anything due to the bad camera angle).
    If ESF had the same TTK as the lightning, it won't be balanced because they don't have the same mobility, that's why the current balance is somewhat OK : if the ESF attack the rear of the skyguard with hornet, they have similar TTK.

That said, the idea to exchange some AA firepower for more versatility is a good idea. But if skyguard are changed into nosegun, I hope it don't use nosegun damage type, because it will make skyguard completely useless against liberator and galaxy. (at least ESF can chase them).
  15. LodeTria

The ranger has 70 base mag size and 82 with EX mags. The skyguard has 70 mag size and no EX mags.
    Look at the guns in-game before posting.
    • Up x 1
  16. adamts01

Says the guy who obviously has never been in the air. Have you flown on Northern Indar? Or anywhere on Esamir? Ranger Harassers camp and lockdown warpgates solo, against multiple A2G ESF and even dedicated A2G Libs. That's not combined arms, that's just broken. As Silkin put it, a dedicated A2G aircraft should be a match for a dedicated G2A vehicle. But that interaction is ridiculously lopsided, especially considering cost, and double especially considering how much less skill it takes to hit a Lib than hit a squirrel y Harasser with a Dalton, or even a Shredder. Things aren't right, and if you've flown a day since the Ranger buff you'd agree.
  17. DIGGSAN0

I want 2 Bursters as MBT/Harrasser and Sunderer Topweapons
  18. Prudentia

sounds good,that would be a hard nerf to the ranger.
    • Up x 1
  19. Silkensmooth

I dont know what you are talking about. Skyguard can set up under a bio dome, or near a garage and simply drive under cover. The good ones always do this.

Skyguard driver CAN jump out and repair while hes getting hit, they do it all the time.

If you are sitting in a tank, you dont need to be in third person to shoot things in order for it to be stable, i have no idea what you are talking about here.

I'll get in a skyguard, and you get in an ESF with hornets and lets see who wins. Here is a hint, it wont be you.

As far as the damage vs libs and gals go, thats why we have vehicle resists so that each vehicle can have a different resist value to the same weapon.

Currently no one is happy with the skyguard. They absolutely suck to drive because they are so overpowered that everyone just runs away. When i see a skyguard in my ESF i just run away, and NEVER come back. The same thing almost every decent pilot does. Even in the lib, unless my gunner is a complete pro i just run away from skyguards.

Imo it would be a lot more fun to have actual fights, rather than just be completely overpowered vs one unit to the point that its only option is to run away as fast as possible.

And then after all the air has run away, you know what i do? I ditch the skygguard because its such crap.

It's really not fun for either side.
    • Up x 1
  20. strikearrow

Now if the skyguard could shred harassers the way it shreds ESFs, then it would be a decent weapon.