Playing PS2 on a Ryzen APU?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Okjoek

Ryzen 5 2400G looks like it would be capable of playing the game just fine. What do you say?
  2. LUCAGRABACR

I'd say it would be okay with lowest graphics settings. Planetside 2 is a mostly CPU heavy title anyway. Plus if it doesn't work out you can always buy a gpu
  3. baka

Seconding Luca above. The 2400G should be fine for 1080p mid level graphics, maybe with some settings on high. I would just get 16 gig of fast RAM to go with it since the APU will share with the CPU.
  4. baka

Going to add a youtube link to Hardware Unboxed
    /watch?v=TpECFc4nlmI&t=
    that may give you some good info. Also, be sure you get a mainboard that is certified to work with the APU, some of them may have the right socket but will not be updated to actually use the chip.
  5. Okjoek

Yeah I have an RX 460 (4gb) with an i5 3450. I would hope Ryzen's higher IPC and clock speeds will do good in this game.

Though making a really low power consuming gaming PC is one of my dream PC builds. Imagine doing what I do now with my CPU with a 77W TDP and my GPU with a 75W TDP all on a new single chip that only generates 65W of heat.
  6. Deffington

I thought about 2400G as well, but since this game works in mysterious ways, you can't be sure. You can't compare benchmarks of other games to get a guess on performance in PS2. On the other hand, clocks of 2400G are higher than my 1600 and number of cores doesn't count, so maybe it will run even better. Still, it won't be a miracle.
    I thought you would be finished with your build by now xD
  7. Okjoek

Well I was going to let the platform mature for a week or so. Hardware Unboxed (who I had watched) did note some issues witg the 2400G model specifically. I think it caused some sort of stuttering in fortnite IIRC
  8. Deffington

What I learned from watching youtube tech channels is that I would want to have such system built and tested by market/store technicians. They have access to first gen Ryzens if BIOS update is required, or can figure out problems about motherboard compatibility before you buy it. Then it will be on their responsibility that the system is working properly. I would not be able to solve such problems alone.
  9. Towie

I'd be a little wary of IPC - Intels have high IPC, typically even higher than Ryzen. Of course the Ryzen is clocked higher so i'd expect it to win - it's also mutithreaded (doesn't help with older games though).

Also the RX 460 is a thoroughly decent starter gaming card and faster than the 2400G (I believe).

Don't get me wrong - 2400G is a fantastic introduction but if you're expecting it to blitz an i5-3450 + RX 460 in Planetside 2 i'd be a little hesitant to put money on it.
  10. Okjoek

For IPC I was referring to my 3rd gen i5, not newer Intel generations. I'd be very surprised to see Ivy Bridge having higher IPC than Ryzen.

I know my current setup with a dedicatedGPU is better for gaming, but I've been waiting a long time for a low-power SFF setup capable of light gaming. My RX 460 is actually a fairly large card and I feel I'd be better off hand-me-downling it.
  11. Towie

Ahh ok fair enough - i'd certainly expect the CPU to be faster and the graphics a little slower so overall, it will be pretty even (to hazard a guess).

But the power saving with the 2400G is pretty astonishing so the fact that we're even talking this way is in itself quite a thing !
  12. MuggieWara

If i was in your shoes i wouldnt even consider replacing an RX 460 with Vega 11.Its not SLIGHTLY slower!

If you want a great value upgrade go for a R5 1600(or wait a couple of months for a 2600) and a pair of 8GB 2666-3200 DDR4 sticks(depending on price difference).Pute these on a B350 board(not the very cheap ones-those around $90)

Also,dont expect massive gains on PS2 from the 1600 but on everything else it ll be another story and you ll be set for an upgrade path to 1080+ grade GPUs when prices normalise.

I understand your dream of very low TDP system but you ll be sacrificing ALOT of performance thats readily available to you.
  13. Deffington

Planetside can't use those cores, I have R5 1600 and it runs on locked 57 fps on quite low effects and without shadows. The APU Ryzen 2400G has higher slightly better frequency. Okjoek, check out channel called TechEpiphany, the guy shows a lot of games on 2200G/2400G with and without additional GPUs (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV_FbbkkWz4KHNzMlmYO04A).
  14. MuggieWara

I dont know what you re talking about.Im on a 1600(@3.7Ghz) and an RX 580 and im most of the time in the 70-90 fps range with everything maxed out and shadows off.In empty places it pushes up to 170-190 frames.In HUGE fights i see momentary drops into the low 50s but thats rare.
    Of course PS2 is not well optimized for that many ZEN threads and cpu utilization is ridiculously low.But the performance is there.

To get an idea i was playing PS2 with the same performance while at the same time installing a compressed ME:Andromeda 50GB setup and had around 10 chrome youtube tabs running.
    You re propably GPU bound
  15. Deffington

I don't think I am GPU bound on GTX 1060. I failed my overclock attempt though. My Ryzen runs only on 3.4 GHz set by MSI BIOS feature and RAM on 2400 MHz. I know the RAM is an issue with Ryzen, but I only got repeated restart when I tried to push it higher. Do you have MSI board?
  16. MuggieWara

You re definitely not GPU bound on a 1060 then.

Im on the Asus B350 f Strix mobo which is really good but whatever mobo you have(assuming you havent done the horrible mistake of buying an A320 chipset one) you should be able to achieve higher clocks on both CPU and memory.

Ill give you my settings as a reference(completely stable).
    CPU:all core 3.7GHz fixed with 1.275 Vcore
    RAM:16GB (2x8)G Skill Ripjaws(3200 MHz rated) at 2933MHz with 1.35v DRAM and 16-18-18-18-38 timings.

What i would do:
    1)Install latest BIOS!If you re on MSI there's a "download manager" tool from MSI that can do it fro you automatically.
    2)Set DRAM frequency at 2666MHz and DRAM voltage at 1.35.(dont use XMP profile if your ram has one)
    3)Set CPU to 3.7GHz and VCORE voltage at 1.3v as a start.
    4)Download AIDA64 stress test and test memory and CPU separately(untick "stress memory" when you stress CPU and vice versa) for at least an hour and see if it crashes.

If Ram crashes drop the frequency to 2400.If it doesnt push it to 2800 and then 2933 etc.If these frquencies dont work leave it at 2666(its perfectly ok there)

If CPU crashes raise the VCORE voltage but i wouldnt go higher than 1.35v for long term use.
    If it doesnt,lower voltage and try again until you crash it and in the meantime you will have found the lowest possible voltage for 3.7 GHZ(mine was 1.275)

Also download and install the latest "AMD chipset" drivers from your motherboards support page.

Make sure you have Textures set on ULTRA in PS2 and that you dont have background apps running while playing(especially tghose pesky MSI or other manufacturer mobo apps/tools)

Also to state the obvious but important,the performance im talking about above is at 1080p resolution.Things would definitely differ at 1440p.
  17. Deffington

MSI B350 Mortar. Dunno what's the point of A320 chipset, I don't think anyone would buy one.

So I tried again, spent like 5 hours messing with it, but achieved exactly nothing (well, there is something: I somehow managed to screw up windows in the process, so I'm a proud owner of clean install). I think I made a mistake with RAM, it is a Flare X, but only 2400 MHz. I hoped I could squeeze a bit more, but no luck with that. Maybe I will change those in the future if prices drop after Chinese DDR4 flood the market. CPU didn't want to overclock as well, it only runs on standard, or MSI Game boost (+0.2 GHz). Hmm, some experience for the next time...
  18. Iridar51

Fairly sure MSI Game Boost will override your manual overclock.
  19. Deffington

Of course it does override. But if manual overclock failed, MSI Boost is only thing I have left.

I must have ****** up something during the process. But now I don't have the energy to try it again. Also this is quite some way from original APU topic.
  20. MuggieWara

We are indeed far from the original topic but i hope you HAVE indeed flashed the new BIOS in!If you havent anything you ll try will be in vain.After all,OC isnt rocket science anymore.