Aircraft controls: yaw with a mouse?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dragoniel, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Dragoniel

Hey there, I'm new. Having a real hard time precision aiming an aircraft, because it seems impossible to turn using a mouse. Makes no sense, considering it's a default for just about any flight sim out there.

Has there been any official word about it? Is it possible to set it up using any third party software?
    • Up x 4
  2. CorporationUSA

3. Call-Me-Kenneth

one thing you should know is that even if you could bind it to a mouse axis, your yaw turn rate would still be limited, because that is the flight model.

i don't see a problem with this being a bindable thing, i do see a problem with people misunderstanding a control limitation with a gameplay limitation.
  4. Dragoniel

CorporationUSA, that thread seems to be full of people arguing whether they think mouse yaw would be good or bad. Quite frankly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I don't see developers posting in that thread, unless I missed it?

Call-Me-Kenneth, I realize that. I don't need the aircraft to turn about by a flick of a mouse, I just want to be able to move the crosshairs a few millimeters here or there without using a keyboard, as current controls are extremely counter-intuitive. I find controlling Y axis by mouse and X axis by keyboard at the same time to aim at something in a couple of seconds very difficult and completely impossible when it comes to tracking targets in dogfights.

Sure, I could learn it, but there is no reason I should. All it will do is make it harder to fly in other games.
    • Up x 4
  5. Goretzu

It's like doors......... they are unpossible.

It's been asked for and ignored since early Beta at least.
    • Up x 2
  6. CorporationUSA

Well this thread will either die or become that thread, so I thought it was relevant. I don't believe the devs have said anything about this, and this issue has been brought up so many times since the game was made. If you're making this thread to get a response from a dev, I wouldn't hold your breath. If anything, you should make a post on reddit, since the devs are very active in the /r/planetside sub. They don't do anything here except posting patch info.
  7. Goretzu

IIRC there's some Dev comments from way, way back (probably Beta) where they say they don't see the point of it/it will not happen.

Of course they said that about lattice and so much else.

Although I can't see much chance of it occuring given if it was going to happen it probably would have occured during the changes for console control.
  8. RoxyHopps

Why can't they just have a [YAW - Keyboard] and [YAW - Mouse]. In a Selection Under Air-Craft Controls? They try and make it Friendly for new players with the Whole Introduction Part. Yet they have weird Controls for an Air-Crafts that is to the Disliking of a Large proportion of the PlanetSide 2 Community. I'm more of a WarThunder, Air-Craft Pilot, so I'd prefer [YAW on Mouse], not that [YAW - Keyboard] is bad, just isn't my preferred flight controls are [YAW - Mouse].
    • Up x 2
  9. Doc Jim

Yaw on the mouse already exists on the Phoenix missile, it's in the game. Just not for aircraft.
    Will the developers ever give players the option to use the mouse to yaw and keys to roll? Unlikely. They've had plenty of time to do so but they never have. Plus, there were/are plenty of dedicated aircraft players who argue vehemently against the option of mouse-yaw becoming available because they are afraid of peasants getting effective at the air game (though they will hardly ever admit this).

So you have three options:
    A. Learn to fly with the current system
    B. Use a controller or joystick instead
    C. forget aircraft and focus on AA weaponry instead

I myself went for B and C.
    • Up x 2
  10. Oleker2

Players have been asking for this since BETA! As per usual, DBG dosen't give a damn...
    That's the main reason that i don't fly... current controls just don't feel intuitive at all.
    • Up x 1
  11. strikearrow

The air controls in this game are deceptively close to normal, but yaw, stall and reverse maneuver are so bad that new pilots have no chance - at all - until they learn how to use them. There is no in-game tutorial and the key-binding descriptions are terrible. I've flown small airplanes - for real and the yaw rate is 100x better than in this game and guess what, the reverse maneuver is literally impossible. It's possible for helicopters, but there again the yaw rate is faster - even faster than what small airplanes can do (this I've only seen at airshows - I've never flown a helicopter).

The closest a small airplane can do to the reverse maneuver is the hammerhead, but that is a very slow maneuver and only done vertically. Even high performance jets like the F-22 cannot do the reverse maneuver - they can almost hover and side slip, (the harrier can hover), but these complicated maneuvers are done at very very slow speeds - we're talking 20kph at most.

At the 2-250kph that this game does maneuvers, pilots would simply blackout from the G forces - not to mention fall out of the sky due to a stall.

All that stated, if they would increase yaw rate, remove the reverse maneuver at high speeds (or at least give a black-out effect), allow controls to change for yaw, and most importantly provide a decent flying tutorial, then the air game would be more fun for everybody.
    • Up x 1
  12. blackboemmel

If an ESF's vertical movement speed = 100, the horizontal movement speed = ca. 3.
    How could that make sense with a mouse on a pad? Even with very long arms and a 1.5 meters x 15 cm mousepad you'll have problems to leave your Warpgate into the right direction.
    Plus: "Rolling" needs to be done in different speeds, very precisely, or you'll never be able to fly a circle under a Biolab or similar stuff. That can't be done with a keyboard's "on/off switches".

I'd be happy if the devs would just throw out what you desire.
    But only a fool, a clown or - worst case: a NEWBIE - would bind the almost non-existant x-axis movement to the mouse.
  13. DirArtillerySupport

I went for C and added D. (Close your wallet) and advised all my friends to do the same thing when they asked....WTF!? Confused? Upset? FLAK is your friend.
  14. adamts01

Planetside has the worst air controls on the market. Other games solve this by combining roll with yaw on the mouse, like in Warthunder and Arma. You lose out on control, but you can aim and fly well enough. That's an option PS2 desperately needs. The next critical step would be fixing joysticks. And yaw isn't "almost non-existent", it's hidden behind dogfighting airframe, which this change would absolutely bring in to style, and give hover meta a run for it's money.

Edit: Sorry my text is small. I just moved and I'm using a phone for the next week for everything, and text is tiny for some reason...... Oh well, don't care.
  15. SkyNoom

blackboemmel, and all who deny the possibility, the need to introduce the possibility of choosing between: yaw on the mouse, rotation on the keyboard and vice versa. You guys are so aggressive. I’m new, I didn’t fly on real airplanes, I can’t name local non-helicopters as airplanes - their physics is not the same.

The current control is good for maneuverable flight, I don’t argue - you just catch a buzz while flying, but there is a problem without killing your whole life for this game - you will not learn how to shoot properly, because, unlike all other games with normal controls, you have to aim here oY vertically, A and D horizontally and yes, the slightest shift along the oX axis twists you as if you had consumed a bottle of vodka, and yes, I'm Russian. Let's be friends.

conclusion: it’s convenient for a beginner to fly, especially from a third person and with great sensitivity, but it is unrealistic to aim, and to be honest, I see nothing wrong with adding a choice, and those who want to yaw at the mouse had it there.

There is even a very good example of such control (it’s only about control, I am aware that there is airless space and nasal thrusters giving reverse traction) the game is called Elite: Dangerous (played it) and there, despite the low speed, yawing on the mouse, and rotation on the keyboard is very convenient.

Sorry, I don’t know the language well, I used Google translator, do not scold too much.
  16. Skraggz

You teach them 2 to 5 year old posts, them guys had it coming for awhile.....
    • Up x 2
  17. SkyNoom

I was just looking for an opportunity to adjust the yaw on the mouse, found this post, decided to write my thoughts, did not even look at the date ... and yes, I did not find ways to adjust the yaw on the mouse, maybe I will write third-party software, if I don’t use it banned (will translate the displacement along the axes into pressing buttons with a certain frequency and duration (which ones need to be tested))
  18. Skraggz

By all means dont let me stop you as a lot of people would appreciate these flight controls (not me). But be warned you could get banned from the sense that the game could be playing itself through automation. I'd maybe display the software to the devs on reddit once coded...
  19. SkyNoom

I understand that, just ... as a last resort, and this can be done. but I presented here, such control will not be much better than the current one, and yes, I consider it bad - not convenient for myself, maybe this is an attempt to make a simulator, but ...
  20. SkyNoom

my bad English is to blame, I didn’t understand you right away, and I think that the third-party application version is bad, it’s very inconvenient to use, trying to reproduce control from Elit looks dubious after thinking it over, I came up with several formulas by which you can translate the offset on the axis in pressing, okay, you just have to try it, and yes, avoid the ban (in this game, and so in bulk cheaters) Miller server