[Suggestion] Nerf TR AA power

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by strikearrow, Jan 20, 2018.

1. raffa2

"Stupid range nerf"?
    Tell me, how did one fight a lancer nest killing all vehicles getting close to it pre nerf?
    Also i've been using the grounder for who knows how long, and it actually kills ESF rather than just scaring them away like the striker does, striker kills only when the pilot is overcommitting.
  2. strikearrow

The biggest problem with a striker is that when I go A2A against TR I can't just stay above 350m to avoid infantry rockets giving the TR an edge. As any A2A pilot knows, the RM, Hover and shoot a full mag is pretty standard A2A tactic. Well guess what happens when you hover and try to unload a full mag A2A at 600m high against TR, you guessed it, TR strikers can rek your day. It's not too hard to spot skyguards and other AA vehicles before engaging A2A, but infantry doesn't even render at 600m. Sure if I see where they came from I can return fire with lolpods, if I have lolpods, and maybe I'll hit with 2-3, but unless I commit to a very risky straight-up attack, that one HA has deterred me from even engaging in A2A, if I did not die to him or the mosi I was fighting.

It means that Mosi's, even a less skilled Mosi, can free farm allied infantry/sunderers from 400m high and unless they have skyguard or ranger support, there's nothing they can do about the 400m high mosi. Very very few single bali/walker gunners are good enough to even deter a ground pounder ESF. An A2A max is too vulnerable outside a base/spawn room to be useful for anything except defending 1 sunderer and even that is risky with LA's constantly trying to c4 that sunderer and its max. Now I can see a buff to burster anti-infantry damage being reasonable - at least at say 75m range or so. Maybe just give it flak damage against LA's while they are in flight.

The point is that stronger AA translates into stronger A2G & A2A for the TR. Why do you think shields and city walls are such effective offensive weapons? Because they allow more resources to be spent on offensive weapons, because the defended need fewer defensive weapons.
    • Up x 1
  3. Silkensmooth

Why not pull a skyguard?

Why should one be able to defend oneself at no resource cost vs a vehicle which costs 350 resources?

Besides which lol-podders dont exist except at very small fights on rare occasions and sometimes at the very off hours. They tend to die very quickly in all other scenarios.
  4. LordKrelas

As even if the ESF doesn't mulch the Skyguard, you just spent 350 resources on something that is fodder to any enemy vehicle that rolls in, to fire at - not kill -, the enemy ESF whom can't be chased down, and will return without a loss.
    Unless you happen to never leave a Skyguard, given unless morons, they already gone - or have already profited.
    While you are stuck in a 350 nanite vehicle that just became useless the moment it spawned.

That usually is why.
    • Up x 5
  5. strikearrow

A2G noseguns are actually more effective A2G than lolpods. A serious A2G pilot will not take lolpods, instead the pilot will take an A2G nosegun and 2x afterburners so it can mulch A2G and still be more maneuverable and faster than a A2A ESF that tries to stop the mulching with an stocknose gun and tomcat A2A ESF. In all likelihood, the A2G nosegun ESF will either out-maneuver and destroy the A2A ESF or run away and go farm a different base.

A2G noseguns being effective A2A is the problem, not lolpods.
    • Up x 1
  6. adamts01

That's not really reality. As a mediocre pilot, I don't think I'd ever lose to anyone with a PPA, probably never lose to an Air Hammer, and I've only met a single pilot who killed me with a pre-nerf Banshee. And only aircraft that can run from A2A and actually get away is the Reaver with extended pods. This is why Coyotes need to be fixed, if they have to remain in the game. They're powerful on their own, and OP with a rotary. They need to only let a gun reload while it's selected if they ever want to balance things.
    • Up x 1
  7. strikearrow

Any ESF with extra afterburners can run and escape from another ESF running wing mount weapons instead.
  8. adamts01

That's true if they see each other at render range. But you're worried about AI ESF, who are looking at the ground half the time and prone to getting jumped. The Reaver would have a good chance with extended pods. But if pods were such a savior you wouldn't see noobs with AI guns without a chance in a dogfight mounting Coyotes/Tomcats.
  9. _Kettenblatt_

Mosquitto has the best agility and smallest hitbox. Skyguard needs for ESF 5 sec (if every bullet hits) Walker needs 7 sec and Ranger 8 sec. Looks all fine
  10. strikearrow

That's why the Mosi is the best ESF.

As for the ranger, the main reason it's OP is because it can be put on a harasser that can actually chase aircraft for a good 200m and re-position a lot faster than a skyguard. Thus, a ranger harasser is a better AA killer than a skyguard by at least 25%. Plus the ranger can be mounted on MBTs and sunderers. In point of fact, a 2 man duel ranger sunderer is way more powerful of an A2A platform than a single skyguard. Still a 2 man single ranger harasser is more dangerous to ESFs than a 2 man duel ranger sunderer.
    • Up x 1
  11. frozen north

In my experience, the scythe is the best dog fighting ESF. Its got superior air to air fire power when compared to the mosquito, and it has the best turning of any ESF. Plus with its unusually slow fall speed, the Scythe is amazing at loitering around and harassing tanks. It also means that it can pull maneuvers that would crash a mosquito or a reaver and be completely fine.
  12. strikearrow

Nope, the mosi is better simply because it's a lot harder to hit with it's small hitbox and better vertical thrust. A mosi can get above a Scythe and shoot down on the massive Scythe hitbox very easy. Plus A2G Scythe's are easy to OHK with Decimators, MBTs and Lightings again because of their huge hitbox. Of course, a good Scythe A2G pilot will not give tanks that angle, but it's still easier for maxes, rangers and skyguards to hit them.

I would actually give the reaver rotary an edge on firepower over the scythe, but then I don't know for sure.
    • Up x 1
  13. frozen north

True, mosi does have the small hit box, though any good scythe pilot will just keep their insanely small frontal cross section looking at a target at all times.

Also, yes the reaver vortex rotary beats the scythe maelstrom. It beats all other air to air guns in terms of burst damage.
    • Up x 1
  14. strikearrow

It takes a very good Scythe pilot to keep that front facing a Mosi that can get above it - at least for several maybe 5-10 rounds the Mosi can normally shoot down on the Scythe and it's only smaller vertically, not horizontally. Actually, it's a lot wider - and after a bit of practice, that extra width can make certain mosi maneuvers easier against scythes.
  15. Silkensmooth

Only bad pilots die to A2G noseguns. If you got beat by an A2G nosegun it was because the pilot with the A2G nosegun was MUCH better than you.

If we have 2 pilots with equal skill, the one with the A2G gun will lose every single time.
  16. Silkensmooth

You are forgetting the holes in tthe scythe and not taking into account how fights actually work. Unless you are attacking a scythe who is engaged with something else, you are going to be shooting front to back not side to side. The scythe is actually harder to hit because its shape is so odd and the holes are actually holes that can make you miss. The longest front to back line on a scythe is shorter and less wide than the longest front to back line on either of the other planes.

A good pilot gets behind his opponent. You dont come in from the side. the reasons for this are probably mutiple, but there are a few important reasons, he cant see you and so he cant shoot you ar try to flee before you attack, if you kill your engine sound a bit. But its also important because it minimizes the amount you have to re-aim when he does move, and provides you the longest line to shoot at.

If you attack from the side then he afterburns, thats a huge aim adjustment for you to keep up, but if you are directly behind him, the change is much less.

All of this means that the straightest longest line is where you are trying to aim.

This makes the scythe harder to hit from all angles, except the side which is the worst angle of attack.
  17. CNR4806

Oh dear, calling for more nerfs, in a game that has seen almost nothing but nerfs in its entire lifespan.

Do you really want to fight with nerf guns that much?