Gameing Performance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AeroS, Feb 11, 2018.

1. AeroS

Hay,

in the last days i picked up my old PC and PS2 to try it again, i've sudden fps drops with my setup to ~15-20frames and a sec later its back to normal. at the beginning (2012) my PC was new, and not updated till now.

I know my CPU is garbage for gaming and im not sure about my other components,
    I'd be thankful for any advice on PS2 setting or Upgrade tip to get a better performance.
    (I will replace my cooling unit, CPU got ~70°C last session)

I run:

AMD FX-8150 Eight Core
    Radeon Sapphire 7770 HD GHz Edition IG GDDR5 MINI DP OC Edition
    8GB RAM DDRIII 1333MHz

And PS2 Settings:

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    RenderQuality=0.900000
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=3037.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=60
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=0
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=0
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=2
    ParticleLOD=1
    MotionBlur=0
    ParticleDistance=0.650000
    FloralDistanceScale=0.650000
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    EffectsDistanceScale=0.65000
    VerticalFOV=65
    AO=0
    BloomEnabled=1

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0

Any Ideas to improve my Performance?

I tough to replace my CPU with an Intel i5 (change cpu +mainboard)
    Whats about my GPU ? not the worst but good enough to stay with?
    and RAM? 8 GB should be ok and ddrIII with 1333MHz seems ok.

Pls share your ideas and tips. I'd like to play ps2 with decent frames and not that much of an investment.
    Thx in advance
  2. HippoCryties

Hey, I don’t know whack about AMD but from what ppl tell me it is awful for Planetside 2
    On here https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core it says it’s a weak cpu though it has a good clock speed u still need an intel imo however don’t take my word on it. I’m not sure about the GPU maybe check a benchmark vs a GTX 1050 as the lowest. Remember ps2 is super CPu heavy so bear that in mind
  3. HippoCryties

As long as u have a strong cpu u can run ps2 with a weak gpu I know a guy with a 940m but i7 he gets 60fps in huge battles so...remember that
  4. HippoCryties

Also use render distance is huge that’s probs taking off about 20 FPS for no reason
  5. HippoCryties

500 is good for distance as infantry
  6. BamaRage

Try unlocking your cores, there is software that will help you to do this and it should help.
  7. AeroS

unlocking cores ? i'll try

what about a hardware change?

i5-7400
    nVidia Geforce 1050
    8Gb DDR4 RAM 2133MHz

will that spec run PS2 smooth?
  8. ArmorMan

I'm pretty sure that will get the job done on most occasions
  9. Iridar51

Your Graphics Card is much weaker than your CPU. It needs to be about twice as powerful to play PS2. Upgrade to GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti, and then we'll see if you need to replace your CPU. Just make sure to get a full-size version, none of this "mini" crap.

Your Render Distance is far too big, especially for your kind of machine, reduce it to 500-1000m.

I'm also confused your UserOptions.ini has options like FloraDistanceScale that I've never seen. That could be causing some issues. Backup your UserOptions.ini, and then delete it, and start the game. That will force the game to recreate it, and all your settings will be reset to default. Then you can reconfigure them from scratch. Basically set everything to Low, disable Flora and Shadows, and put Graphics Quality at Medium, and Textures on Ultra.

Replacing the CPU cooler is a good idea, though 70 degrees is not particularly too hot for an 8-core AMD CPU.

If you do decide to upgrade your CPU, I don't recommend going for anything below 8th generation. The most cost-efficient CPU for PlanetSide 2 right now is Core i5 8400. Anything lower wouldn't really be an upgrade for you. And upgrading to it would run you about ~$400, that's including CPU with a stock cooler, Motherboard and 8GB of DDR4 RAM.
  10. BamaRage

Oh yes, That will be more than adequate. I have helped outfit members with less get the performance they need. Also good CPU cooling is often overlooked but I have found it helps with smaller systems.
  11. BamaRage

Planetside 2 is a CPU intensive game and I have played with much less graphics card on low settings with render at 400 and did just fine.
  12. AeroS

i've no idea what programm i could use, would you like to share your choice?
  13. frozen north

I run an AMD FX 6300 processor at its default clock rate (though a slight voltage increase, cause why not have some wiggle room).
    Graphics wise, I have a GTX 1050 Ti installed, for 4GB of video ram.
    My current set up has a total of 8GB of ram storage, though I would probably be upgrading mine if ram wasn't so pricey right now. Still, 8GB should be plenty for planetside 2.

Looking at your specs, the only piece I would consider replacing is the graphics card. Mine can run the game rather well ( no noticeable performance drops, but I also dont really pay attention to that), and based on whats provided, my hardware is either equal or worse with the exception of the graphics card.

As mentioned, you may need to do something with your cores, but I would seriously consider swapping graphics cards if I were you. A lot of other games out there are going to need at least 2GB of video ram, which I believe is more then what your current graphics card has, so an upgrade would not be a bad long term investment.
  14. AeroS

thx for your advice

i set my graphics to "very low" and render dist to 900. i got ~50-60frames (seems limited to 60)
    and for no reason my frames drop to 10-20fps cpu limited.

what would you do to improve my cpu performance? OC?
    or is there a option / boost programm to force the multipiers at 19,5 and dont dropp to7 (maybe a problem)?
  15. Qu4d3

I noticed a drop in fps with the new patch... I was +100 fps an now never go over 100 and drop down to 30 fps in battles. I can't play this game anymore... I have a GTX 780 and I7-2800k overclocked to 4.4gigs. It really sucks to be playing at 100+ fps one week and next it's down to 30...
  16. allesneu2

Check your mouse Pollingrate set it from 1000Hz to 500Hz
  17. Iridar51

I know for a fact that PlanetSide 2 is not playable with a Graphics Card of the HD 7770 tier. What kind of card have you used?
  18. Iridar51

Sounds like thermal throttling. Basically, your CPU starts working at reduced frequency or even disables a few cores to prevent overheating and literally burning up. I'd expect that to kick-in later than 70 degrees, but maybe older CPUs were more sensitive to temperature. If this is the case, better cooling will improve the situation. At the very least you should thoroughly clean it and reapply the thermal compound.
  19. frozen north

The model listed in the initial post is said to have a recommended max temp of 61 degrees. At 70, it would definitely be thermal throttling.

Like you said, a good cleaning of the cooler at minimum, and a complete replacement of the cooler if possible would be ideal. Plus, the model of graphics card you mentioned planetside 2 not running on is the exact model that the original poster is using.

So that would explain a lot. CPU is likely having issues because of thermal throttling, and the graphics card is not an ideal model for the game. The only sure fire fix would be to replace both the graphics card, and the CPU cooler.
  20. Iridar51

LOL yeah why else would I mention that specific model :D