ISO Recycler is garbage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Carnage, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Carnage

Hey all,
    I was just talking to a friend about the ISO recycler. He said its the best way to get rare implants, I disagreed and to prove a point I purchased 11 at a time. Guess what happened? not one of them was rare.
    This is messed up on so many levels
    1) If a player with no boosts or memberships had this much ISO he/she would have had to play at least 2k hours to get it. (maybe more) And that player is rewarded with no special implants out of 11, so essentially you wasted thousands of hours working towards getting an upgrade that you possibly never will get. I personally have gotten around 20 of these without one rare whatsoever.
    2) If you are paying for this you just wasted $10+ on nothing, so again wasted money which is also time.
    3) I could have maxed out multiple implants with that ISO but its now wasted on nothing.
    • Up x 1
  2. Prudentia

i bought a single iso booster and got carapace
    RNGesus smiled upon me
    • Up x 2
  3. ExRedux

Whoa... 11 whole purchases? With such a huge sample size it couldn't possibly be RNG and their algorithms must be wrong.

Except the part where your friend is right as far as anyone knows:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. FateJH

So why didn't you?
    • Up x 2
  5. RumpelAusDerTonne

Its called gambling for a reason. In Germany lootboxes will probably get banned in March. It will be interesting to see how this will turn out for games like Planetside 2, CS:GO, Hearthstone etc...
  6. Metalsheep

It is true. I literally got 3 Infravisions in a row once from recycler plays. And i recently got Carapace out of one. Never had an exceptional drop from all the deluxe packs i have gotten.
  7. ExRedux

3) I could have bought food or paid my rent with that money I spent on slot machines but its now wasted on nothing.

FTFY.
  8. RumpelAusDerTonne

nice. I used close to 20k ISO and only got 2 rare implant, 2 class-specific and no exceptional. I personally am not a fan of gambling at all, but as long as i dont have to gamble eith real money to stay competitive in this game, it's ok i guess
  9. Blam320

He spent ISO, not real money. You can't buy the ISO Recycler with DBC. And I highly doubt lootboxes will be banned. Games like Hearthstone are digital TCGs, and TCGs haven't been investigated. Overwatch everything is cosmetic, and can be earned for free in-game.
  10. Cyropaedia

I've received Carapace, Counterintelligence (2 duplicates), Infavision, and almost all class implants (except for Aerial Combat and Robotics Tech) + 2 rares from ISO Recyclers. I've probably spent 50-75k+ ISO though (bank 30k ISO from old implant system and 30k+ ISO from alert wins). Not to mention left over ISO to upgrade key implants such as Combat Surgeon to level 5.

I think the trick is to stay loyal to your main character with more opportunity to earn alert ISO rather than hopping factions with harder to measure victories with each alt at 1 or 2 rares or 1 exceptional.
    • Up x 1
  11. Halkesh

The deluxe implant drop rate is per crate or per implant ? That's a huge difference.
  12. Moz

The % chance from the ISO recycler is higher... Therefore its the best way to get the rare implants. Its that simple! Your friend was 100% correct, your disagreement was 100% incorrect!

This is interesting to me.

Are they also going to ban sticker books / albums (think football stickers you got as a kid), because they are the exact same thing right?
    • Up x 1
  13. Ziggurat8

2000 hours to get 5500 ISO? It takes the average non paying player 22 minutes of play time to earn 1 ISO?

I'm gonna have to call ******** on that.
  14. Icehole1999

I got Deep Operative, Battle Hardened, Sweeper, and Catlike off the 4 recyclers I’ve bought. With ISO so zero cost to me.

As to the rate of ISO earned, don’t you get 50 even if you lose an alert? There’s an alert going on every hour so that’s nearly 1 ISO per minute even if you lose.
  15. Halkesh

As a VS on cobalt (we win most of the alert) I'm not even close to 1 ISO per min because most alert my faction win happens when i'm not here.
  16. FieldMarshall

I recycled 6 times and got 2 rares
  17. Smoo

Exact same.

RNG is a terrible mechanic, and DBG should feel bad. There should simply be a shop that takes ISO, and the rares should cost 1000 each, and standards 500 each.
    • Up x 1
  18. Pelojian

but then how would they get easy money for providing RNG results that net them more money then just directly selling the most desired items directly?

the issue isn't just about gambling, it's also about targeting children in games and making gambling systems of RL money accessible to them, games make it easy to reach a significant portion of the population, just like smartphones.

it doesn't matter if the items are only cosmetic, it's about preventing children from getting addicted to gambling and preventing them from being exploited.

i agree with you that TCG probably won't be targeted and one of the reasons why i think so is because the cards are tradable, if you don't get what you want you can try to trade for it rather then a closed system where you can only pay for a chance at getting what you want.
  19. Blam320

Don't lie. Don't sugar-coat it. The issue is still about gambling, or the use of gambling mechanics. By the way, the whole "but what about the children" argument breaks down as soon as you realize the game's target audience isn't children; children shouldn't be playing this game, and that's the responsibility of the parents or guardians of those children. I'd be nice if implants could be unlocked directly, but I'd rather they flesh out implants a bit more, such as adding more class-specifics and the rumored faction-specifics, and make every one unlockable with ISO or certs as well as DBC.

Your "trade for it" argument is BS; I've played Magic: the Gathering for years, and anybody with experience in the TCG scene will know that every card has a real-world monetary value, based on a combination of many factors including rarity, power, card type, whether or not it's foil, etc. For instance, a rare, non-foil two-color land could be worth more than $50, simply because every deck in those colors runs the full four copies. Any and all trading done is based on the RL value of a card, unless it's two friends who don't know better. In fact, some cards are so prohibitively expensive you're better off just buying packs and hoping you get it via random chance.

Because every card has an RL value, every time you spend the $4 on a pack you're taking a real gamble. You could get lucky and pull out a card that, if sold or traded, easily recoups the cost of the pack, or you could get a trashy 50 cent rare that sits in a binder hogging space.

Not only that, but implant packs in PS2 are technically free; you can buy the Recycler with ISO and the other two with certs. Both of which you earn by playing the game. ISO needs to be a little more easily accessible, but that could easily be solved by adding in new, non-locking alert types that happen every other hour or so.
  20. Pelojian

except we aren't just talking about PS2 are we in regards to general backlash about gambling in games, it doesn't matter what age rating a game is intended for, somewhere there will be kids that have access to games intended for mature players. that's where the protecting children from becoming addicted to gambling comes in, in addition to the general undesirability of them using gambling mechanics to sqeeze as much profit from the least amount of effort.

It's not BS you can trade the cards without needing to pay the company directly more money, it's still gambling but it's not a closed system where the company has exclusive control over how you obtain the cards/items.

being able to trade in a gambling system only mitigates part of the problem with such systems, would you rather be stuck to only being able to obtain cards directly from the company? or would you rather being able to trade for ones you want outside their control?. both are generally bad, but one is better then the other.
    • Up x 1