[Suggestion] Underbarrel weapon update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Demigan

Underbarrel weapons are available on few weapons and very rarely used. Most use is seen by farmers who lob underbarrel grenades from biolab teleporters and not much else. With a few changes, underbarrel weapons could improve class diversity and create a more varied choice of options during combat.

1: allow UB weapons to be fired with a single button (x for example, not many people using burst or semi-auto) even if you are already firing your weapon. COF is obviously increased when firing. To reload, press the button again.

2: because the current UB grenade and shotgun are too powerful to be fired so easily mid-combat, their damage is reduced. This makes the UB grenade a weapon to flush out ot finish enemies behind cover and the UB shotgun a weapon for finishing or starting a fight after closing in.

3: add more weapons with UB capabilities and focus on class-specifics. For example, the 25% worst performing Carbines get access to an underbarrel shotgun to increase their CQC abilitues. The 25% worst performing LMG's get access to underbarrel solid-slug launchers to enhance their Mid range power. AR's get access to a healing dart to apply healing over time effects on friendlies from a distance etc.
    Some UB weapons could have small magazines to give them more staying power and allow multiple shots in a single battle without having to reload.

Some extra idea's, not sure how to keep some of these class specific such as the one's on a Carbine which the Engineer and LA Share:
    Micro flashbang. 0,5m range AOE. Carbine only.
    Dart launcher. Fires small accurate projectiles for added DPS, small magazine.
    Micro-missile. Fires a single high velocity missile for very light AV, deals moderate damage against lightly armored vehicles like MAX's, Harassers and aircraft.
    • Up x 3
  2. LtBomber

(Tip: Skip your suggestion, get a gamer mouse/keybord, use a macro have it all...)
  3. Demigan

That's not even close to what I'm asking.
    If you use a Macro, then you still have to use a Macro to switch to your UB weapon (press 1) and then fire it, but that takes +/-0,5 seconds before you've switched, then you have to switch back. So all in all you would lose a second for a single shot weapon in the middle of a firefight. That's not a good system, and it would only help people with a Macro.
    Do you really think that that's how you should win? By buying a Macro mouse/keyboard? A game should damn well give all the tools necessary for everyone to be able to play on a fair and balanced battlefield. Having one set of player beat the rest because they have access to Macro's is fornicated up.
    • Up x 2
  4. AllRoundGoodGuy

I absolutely love this idea. The main problem that I've had is switching back and forth between the UB and the main weapon. Typically, for the most part, I only use the UB in order to be THAT guy who spams the UB smoke grenade as an engineer to give both friend and foe a 20 fps drop.
  5. LtBomber1

It was meant to be ironic.
    Still, seeing the current options you would either use the underbarrel attachments as opener/finisher, and not in the middle of the fight.
    The switch time is needed for the weapons to stay in line. The guns would be owerpowered if they just can add a huge alpha damage chunk without the danger of loosing dps. For shotgun, it takes 0.5 sec to equip a insta kill at close range, nade launcher same for 10+m.

Hardware is allways an issue: Does the guy do better with 60++ fps than the guy with < 10 fps and shuttering? Thats unfair!? Realy, equipment does matter in the same way as game-balance and skill does, even no one says it proudly.
  6. Doc Jim

If I could switch to the UBGL using the same key that I use to switch fire modes, I would welcome that.
    Other than that, I'm happy with the current situation.
  7. Liewec123

agreed, it would be cool being able to pump out the Brawler UBSG before cleaning up whatever is left with the regular SG
    without the usual delay while swapping.
    its still my go-to shotgun, but it would be awesome to press the modeswitch button and have it fire the underbarrel without delay.
    :D
  8. stalkish

I disagree and tbh feel thats a strawman argument, the game is intended to be played at a decent FPS, anyone with sub 10 FPS shouldnt be playing at all, and that goes for all games.

Buying (or building) a PC is buying a PC, you cant play the game without it, you cant use a PC without a PC.
    That does not compare to buying a cheat piece of hardware, because it really is cheating to use any type of macro to assist you in-game.
    Its in the EULA also if you care to look:
    https://www.planetside2.com/eula
    Specifically:
    2.3 Responsibilities of End User
    You agree that you shall not, under any circumstances: ...... (f) use, post, host or distribute macros, "bots" or other programs which would allow unattended game play or which otherwise impact game play, including without limitation any program which enables or facilitates character kills or level increases.

Seems pretty clear to me, macro mouse = no.
    Whether they can even detect it or not is another question but personally, i play by the rules or i dont play at all.
    • Up x 1
  9. Prudentia

the offical stance is: no macros that move the mouse, key presses are ok
  10. Demigan

wasn't clear.

The current options are used as an opener and in the case of the UBSG doubles as a finisher, but they aren't used as a finisher solely. For example, have you ever, ever seen anyone switch to their UBGL when someone goes behind cover to try and finish them? Or switch to their UBGL instead of reloading?

With easier access you can start using them. An opener to soften up a small group of close players, something to flush someone out of cover or if he's already damaged to finish them. You have to be careful ofcourse, as the COF increase would be substantial (with perhaps a longer refire time to increase the time the COF stays large) and an enemy who immediately jumps out would be able to use your worse accuracy to his/her advantage. The UBSG can be used at the start or finish of a battle, assuming you have done enough damage to finish the battle. Or in the case of attacking multiple enemies you have to calculate what target you use it for as using it ASAP would ruin your COF for the rest of your clip unless you can find a place to recover, but since you are within UBSG range that's going to be hard to pull off.
    Then there's the more utilitarian UB weapons that would enhance class specificity. mini flashbangs, EMP's, concussions, healing darts etc. Since my proposition is to plant these on all of the currently worst performing weapons it would give these weapons a trade-off: An arguably worse weapon for a higher versatility during battle, but you are going to have to use that versatility to get some use out of the weapon.

It's gotten there already hasn't it? I specifically mention that the current UB weapons would need to be toned down because they would be OP if they kept their current strenght and that there should be penalties in the form of COF increase. And here's LtBomber1 saying "but the current weapons would OP!". Good job man! Good job!
    And really, a 0,5 sec equip time and then 0,5 sec unequip time is far too big a disadvantage to trade-off the advantage of having it. I've never, ever seen anyone switch mid-battle to fire one. Hell I've never even seen someone jump behind cover to switch to one, fire, get back into cover and switch back, and I've been playing when UBGL's could OHK people with their splash. Hell even I didn't do it, and I used that UBGL a lot.

No it isn't. As Stalkish said if your PC is under par you shouldn't be playing, and you should know you shouldn't be playing. You don't expect a PC from the 2000 to handle a game from the 2010's. And the developers even meet the players in their demand: They offer alternative graphic settings so a larger portion of the people's PC's are capable of running it. The problem arises from non-standard Hardware that not everyone will have. Everyone will have a PC, a keyboard, a mouse and a sound system. Not everyone will have a Macro keyboard, Macro mouse, a VR set, a Microphone or whatever. So building a game that gives massive advantages to players who have it over players who don't is a terrible move, it is the epitome of P2W only not as a business model so you only get the disadvantages and not the advantages (more money for development and keeping those servers running). And the developers give players tools to make sure the playingfield is relatively fair. Players without a Microphone can use typed messages (which can reach more people than voice can) and quick-commands like asking for ammo for example, creating less of a divide between people who have the hardware and those who don't.
  11. DrPapaPenguin

I'm actually happy with the current setup, and I use the UBSG quite a lot. Would be nice if the reload speed of it got buffed, but the switching to and from attachment is fine IMHO.
  12. Moz

Seems like a good idea to me.

Only thing i would say is that the damage from UB nade and launcher is already so lackluster its laughable. No need to nerf them again! With the changes you suggest to the firing mechanism this would bring them back into the semi useful category without any nerf required IMO?
  13. Demigan

The UBSG can OHK with a good hit. Its a bit OP to have a weapon capable of doing a OHK and still hose you down normally because in CQC a large COF increase isnt as much of a problem. As a weapon to add damage, especially on the 25% worst performing weapons, it would do its Job.
    The UBGL is also capable of a OHK if you hit directly. Its a bit cheap if a player can just run from cover to cover while approaching the enemies and can try to get a Lucky OHK. Thats why it should be relegated to a more AOE based weapon that deals less but more consistent damage. For ranged direct attack you would equip a solid-slug or dart UB weapon. Which is another thing: if the UBGL and UBSG remain as powerful as now, other options wouldnt be as good.

Another UB idea I had: class-based UB module. Its ability depends on the class ability and only recharges when the class ability is full. An LA will be able to Pump its jumpjet fuel into the UB module and let loose a small conical explosion, it only regenerates while your fuel bar is full. The HA could perhaps generate a small short-lived shield in the air, providing partial cover for a few seconds (does not block infantry or vehicles). Medics could charge up a healing wave that instantly heals 250 health of anyone in range (friendlies only, a damaging version could also exist) etc.
  14. Naskoni

My beef with UBGL weapons in general is why we get the option to use such on exactly ONE weapon per class per faction (with maybe the exception of directive weapon, of which I have none so I cannot confirm either way). UBGL are objectively the rarest of weapon attachments in the game. On top of that they are valued SO high that the weapons that do get them have to be a worse version of the starter weapons AND you have to sacrifice the forward grip to use them on top of that.

Another thing I actually dislike - the fact that you need to use the same key for your primary to change to the UBGL in the first place - the number of times I changed to the UBGL by accident and got killed and thus got pissed... Would prefer the option to use a separate key for that and disable the current overloaded behavior of the 1 key instead.

And while on the topic - has anyone seen the reloading animation for the battle rifle UBGLs? Because on NC and TR currently we reload invisible grenades and on VS not only is the grenade invisible, the place it needs to be put in so far off from the (obviously reused carbine) animation that it is almost comical. The VS medic assault rifle UBGL also has a mismatched reload animation but at least there it's not as bad. Oh, and the TR battle rifle's UBGL clips rather badly into the weapon's magazine on the weapon model just to highlight how rushed and sloppy the addition of UBGLs to the battle rifles was... I did make a bug ticket about the VS assault rifle UBGL's reload animation, as I use it nowadays a lot, but was told that it's "not a gamebreaking bug" thus status changed to "won't do" (totally how bugs should be handled DBG). I mean it couldn't be any clearer that currently UBGLs are a complete afterthought.

In summary - I'd like to see more weapons have the UBGL as an available attachment, would like the option to change the mechanic to changing to it and would be really nice if the reload animations, especially for VS, get looked at sometime in the future.
  15. Moz

Oh, i thought the OHK ability of the nade launcher had been removed? Thought you need 2 direct hits now?

The shotgun can defo one shot things though, as long as you don't get screwed by hit reg hahaha :D

But yeah, still like this idea however it is iterated.
  16. stalkish

Please show me where it states this in the EULA.

Its not that i dis-believe you, its that i clearly showed evidence of what i said, your claim is worth nothing if i get banned for a macro is it.
    LOL i can imagine it now:
    Player X gets banned for using a macro
    Dev: You used a macro, thats against the EULA
    Player: But Prudentia told me it was ok on the forums
    Dev: Prudentia doesnt make the rules
  17. Dualice

Yeah, I was under this impression too. Can't remember the last time I used an UBGL, but last time I did, seem to recall it couldn't OHK anyone from full health/shields. In terms of light assault gameplay it's arguably been rendered obsolete by the rocklet rifle, in any case.

I kind of like the unerbarrel shotties the way they are now. Slow equip speed but with the stopping power of a pump-action. Can be pretty nice for an in-and-out ambush. That being said only thing I use it on is the TRAC-SHOT... wouldn't use the TRAC-5S if you paid me :p

Still, good suggestions, Demigan.
  18. LtBomber

#on underbarrel attachments:
    I can only speak for myself ofc, and i use them regular. I think Solstice SF is my "most kills" weapon. I use it as opener when i can hurry to cover, playing peek-a-boo at best. After first salvo just switch back to normal mode. If people use it "wrong" like in midfight or loosing valueable engagement time while switching, well their bad. Use the right tool in the right situation, like switching between sidearm and shotgun depending on range.
    Next HA players want to press a key and fire a rocket while using LMG, beacuse RL is allready weaker than nade launcher vs infantry...

All in all i like your ideas, but i deem them not needed nor worth developement time

#on hardware:
    Sure you are right here saying that there are minimum requirements etc. Still, one can not deny that a performance difference exists. That faster connection, better fps, better dpi in mouse or refresh rate of keyboard play a role. In special regard to hardware sided makros, they offer an advantage for sure. They are legal for keypress (key=key, but you can easy write a key alternate key script, so hammering the same key twice results in different output each time). They are not detectable since they run hardware sided, simulating real keystrokes, with delays and all what comes with it.
  19. Demigan

The last time I got into contact with the UBGL was when people were shooting out of the Biolab shielded area to the Biolab spawn, and they definitely did OHK's there.
  20. OldMaster80

Same here. UB attachments are not that bad, but switching to them is really user unfriendly.
    The best buff they can make to this kind of attachments is a dedicated button.