[Suggestion] Nerf TR AA power

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by strikearrow, Jan 20, 2018.

1. strikearrow

So the TR have not only the best ESF, but also the best AA weapons by miles. The Striker has insane range and RoF. The Prowler has 2 1-hit-kill shots (against ESFs) unlike the other 2 MBTs. It just means that skill being equal, the TR will own the air. Not mention that their A2G Mosi nosegun is also a very good A2A nosegun, unlike the NC and to a lesser extent the VS.

On a sidenote, HIVE base AA turrets need a range nerf to equal that of normal base AA turrets. Either that or the normal base AA turrets need a buff. It's stupid that an automated AA turret with better aim than 99% of all players has 2+ Hex range.

I'd like to see the ranger nerfed too be about as deadly as a skyguard instead of stronger than a skyguard.
  2. Silkensmooth

The mosquito is not the best ESF, the Scythe is, by a large margin. That is why the scythe is about to be nerfed. In the wrong way of course, but still nerfed.

Otherwise i agree with you on everything.

Automated AA turrets are a terrible idea.

Automated turrets of any type are a terrible idea.

Flak is overpowered, and as you may have noticed the skies are fairly clear most of the time. On the rare occasion when i die to a ground pounding ESF i pull mine to kill him and then fly around in empty skies for several minutes before i just redeploy out of it and go back to infantry.

A ranger harrasser can give a lib a good go. 150 resources vs 450. It's broken, but probly selling like hotcakes.
    • Up x 1
  3. Oleker2

Banshee is really on the top on the noseguns for infantry farming yes, it's disgusting the damage and the lack of accuracy needed. Paired with the hit-run speed with extended afterburder tank... I don't know why it has not being nerfed already, but hey harassers still op AF as well.
    I only fly valks for c4 drop so can't relate to the Striker problem too much.
  4. Insignus

Hello! You've been issued a Heresy Citation for:

Class A (Promotion of ****tery)
    Sub 11 - Nerf Calls

Class A Citations are issued for specific heretical beliefs that are defined as promoting ****tery within the Planetside 2 Community, including, but not limited to, In-Game Actions, Statements of Belief in both Forum and Reddit, in ways that have been deemed injurious under the remit of the Falkyrate.

If you feel you have received this citation in error, please contact the Directorate of Ecumenical Relations & Protocols, at (ERROR: NUMBER OUT OF SERVICE).

Thank You,

Have a Nice Day!

ShadowInsignus, Fylkir, Connery
    • Up x 9
  5. strikearrow

How is the Scythe better? It has a larger hitbox than both the Mosi and Reaver; it is slower than the reaver; it is less maneuverable than the mosi. It does have better bullet tracking, but that's not hard to compensate for once you learn to shoot the other ESF noseguns.
  6. adamts01

Smallest front profile and better dps than the Mossy. The Mossy has an advantage when facing multiple attackers do to its better top profile, but the Scythe beats it nose to nose any day, and that's what most fights are. The Reaver has the best stock gun and rotary in the game, period. It's just that literally only a handful of pilots per server are good enough shots for that advantage to outweigh its terrible hitbox. And even then, they're better in one of the other 2 ESF.

I agree with the rest of your OP though. I never liked infantry because of all the zerging, and now I stopped flying because of AA. So I'm playing other games till/if this mess is fixed.
  7. zaspacer

When was the Prowler Primary adjusted to be a OHK on ESFs?
  8. JobiWan

Buff all AA against ESFs! Anything that drives away A2G farmers is a win IMO.
    • Up x 4
  9. Eternaloptimist

I can't comment on the other stuff but I can confirm that the Striker has astonishing range and, combined with the coyote mechanic, can inflict regular damage. I use it (of course) and compared to my NC and VS G2A launchers it is a nice change to be able to hit aircraft that would otherwise be able to shoot me and allies while remaining out of range. But I can see why it should be toned down in range at least. It is sick to be able to hit invisible aircraft by just aiming at their dorito even if I generally don't kill them (I did once but only because it just hovered in a stationary position and I was able to fire off three or four mags directly at it).

Whilst esfs in particular run like hell when Mr Striker opens up I can't say that a single user tends to kill a lot - at least I don't. But two or three together are a major force to be reckoned with. I would love it if my NC and VS toons had anything resembling the Striker although I know there would be huge grief from TR loyalists. Firing a spread of low power, unguided rockets is a lot more preferable for me as a counter than having to aim one unguided but powerful rocket at a time.

I'd be happy enough to lose lock-ons completely if all launchers had at least a reasonable chance of the average player with average aim being able to get get some hits against fast moving targets (that includes Harassers as well as aircraft). In fact, the lock on timer can be a disadvantage when vehicles are doing their fast fly-by or drive-by shooting runs.
  10. adamts01

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to believe it's a reasonable request that average players in a fps should have to aim. Lock-ons just need to go, they don't belong outside of a simulator with proper missile mechanics.
    • Up x 1
  11. Dualice

I'm of the opinion the Striker is in a pretty good place - it probably was OP before it got changed (i.e. lost the lock-on mechanic in favour of the Coyote mechanic). Even if it has good range, the missiles have to pass pretty close to their target to lock on, and if the target is moving at any considerable speed (i.e. anything more than stationary), in my experience, most missiles will usually miss.

The same could be said of the Lancer and the Phoenix. On their own they're nothing more than an annoyance/deterrant, but if you have multiple squad members/planetmans using them at once at a single target they're going to be a serious problem.

Can't speak from experience with the Phoenix but I've used the Lancer a lot on my VS toon and get very few kills with it, but if you get a fully-charged shot or two on an ESF they soon run for the hills. With the velocity of its projecticles it's not that hard to do either.
  12. DrPapaPenguin

Oh, you must be that one guy whom I shot down with the Striker. Kek, welcome to the club!..

.. Wait wait wait wait WAIT... Prowler counts as AA?.. Uninstalls game . I've played it all wrong!

On a serious note - Striker is good at close range or against hovering targets, or if you are flying directly for it. Banshee is usable as A2A - and that's about it. If you hit ESFs with Prowler - good on you. You deserve a kill.

But worst of all, you didn't mention MAX with lockdown/2xairburster combo.

Sounds like you were shot down :D
    • Up x 1
  13. TerminalT6

If you get shot down by tank cannons it's entirely your fault. One of the prices you have to pay for being in a nimble little death machine is that you have to be aware of what's in your massive jurisdiction. If you fly low and predictably among tanks, you will likely get hit. If you approach from behind and quickly fly above their cannon elevation, you will never get hit.
    • Up x 1
  14. zaspacer

I know it seems like that is the case, but it is not.

If you take two ally tanks and spread them out, they can each cover the air space around the other. At which point, an ESF can't engage the area without substantial risk.

Add in any coordination between the tanks, and the threat level ramps up more. Add in other threats, and it ramps up more. Add in terrain that obscures the ability to spot tanks, it goes up more. Add in spawn points for tanks, it goes up more. Add in mobile nearby other zergs you need to track, it goes up more. Add in compromised enter/exit approaches, it goes up more.

So you end up with ESFs instead being rewarded for going after softer targets. Farming. Which pushed the ESF away from formal objectives, and more toward the A2G on small battles, etc. that everyone hates.

The reason I rarely played ESF vs. NC armor heavy areas was because the Vanguard is an ESF sniper. It was far too lethal, so I stuck to battles vs. VS/TR or I cherry picked NC fights where the armor was low or the terrain/battlefield kept the armor from spreading out and covering each other.

I've been OHK picked off from the back landing pad of the Tower by a Vanguard on the rise by Snake Ravine lookout (2 hexes away). By the same Van player, at least twice.

In an ESF, especially if you play solo and aren't a skyknight, you have to play the death odds. Giving all tanks OHKs is pressure for ESFs to avoid the formal objective encounters that they're supposed to be at, and to target the encounters they are monstrously OP at.
  15. LodeTria

CAI. I think it only works with AP tho, same as the lightning.
    • Up x 1
  16. TerminalT6

Well, what your saying contradicts my experience and there's little more I can say about that. Obviously armor zergs on northern Indar are not good targets, but that doesn't mean you can never shoot things of importance.

I just can't remember the last time a tank shot my ESF while I was doing my standard procedures to avoid that.
  17. zaspacer

I'm not currently playing PS2. So my data/experience is very likely outdated.

Back when Oracle was still running (and I was playing), Vanguard was one of the higher killers among NC AA. I'm not saying Vanguard was great AA in terms of shots fired, but it was a lethal factor for ESFs in terms of numbers of ESFs downed, especially vs. Scythe. So, if you flew them and did lots of AA without being specifically careful about it, you generally ended experiencing that statistic.
  18. Pat22

-> complains about TR AA power
    -> does not mention Lockdown burster MAX, the most obvious example of superior TR AA.
    • Up x 3
  19. Icehole1999

Lockdown MAX with pretty much anything except Pounders is good for AA. Fracs are great, Mercys are great, Gorgons and Bursters are awesome.
  20. Liewec123

NO don't nerf striker, instead VS and NC be given decent AA options, not this "deterrent" nonsense.
    Lancer works well against libs, but even lancer has had a stupid range nerf.

TR is the only faction i can play infantry as and not feel like i'm at the mercy of any lolpodder who decides to come farming.
    • Up x 1