[Suggestion] Implant to counter Wraith Flash

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Icehole1999, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Icehole1999

Out of everything in the game nothing kills the fun like some scrub with no skill roadkilling everyone with an invisible ATV that has no effective counter.

So why not release an implant like Sweeper or Infravision that’s always on and sees through the cloak on the Wraith Flash?

Make each level effective to a further range and at level 5 make a successful spot by the implant user highlight the flash to everyone inside the range of the implant.

As an aside I’d like to find the dev who thought the Wraith Flash was a good idea and kick him square in the nuts with a size 13 steel toe Redwing.
    • Up x 1
  2. Eternaloptimist

Infils shooting with Wraith weapon have to decloak first (and the Flash engine sound tend to give away their approach). I have no problem with this but it seems a bit harsh that you can be killed by a cloaked Flash running you over. At the very least the collision should short out the cloak or something to give you or your surviving allies a chance to hit back...........not sure I'd run an implant to counter wraith cloaked flashes though as they are just an occasional hazard for me and other implants are more widely useful
    • Up x 4
  3. LordKrelas

I mostly have an issue with the cloaked flash with a shotgun.
    Running full stealth.
    In a battlefield - those are annoying. (Battlefield = lots of sound)

Not something common enough to waste my implant slot on.
    But yes, those damn things are annoying.
    • Up x 4
  4. Tankalishious

Cloaked wraith flashes are easily spotted a hex away just by running something better than potato graphics
  5. Dargadon

Enviromental awarness + dumbfire RL or Archer. Works like a clock.
    /thread
  6. Okjoek

When you're so biased towards infantry that not even the humble Flash can escape your rants about things that are supposedly imbalanced.

Thanks to the dude that showed me this yesterday:
    • Up x 1
  7. adamts01

I say no to a new implant, but Flash mechanics should be looked in to. They should take damage from all collisions, especially collisions with Maxes. The cloak should also temporarily be knocked out after ramming something, or at least shimmer like the infil cloak does when shot. A 1 or 2 second weapons lock after decloaking would also be nice, at least to somewhat counter latency. It's too gimmicky and trollish of a vehicle as it is. Make these changes and it could be buffed in other ways to push it towards covert transport, like a permanent cloak with no weapon mounted, or even let it stay cloaked when you dismount to snipe.
  8. Doc Jim

I'd prefer the wraith cloak to be treated like the stalker cloak - stealth module makes it impossible to equip the vehicle with a weapon. That way the cloaked Flash can stealthily roadkill all day long, but it can't shoot people.
    • Up x 1
  9. Luicanus

I had a similar idea I had suggested Darklight Eyes as a plausible new implant it would be similar to Thermal Vision. It was not specifically geared to counter Wraith Flashes however the effect would greatly improve your odds. As I recall I imagined around a 25-35m range on the effect. Much more than a Darklight Flashlight would provide but not so far as to render all infiltrators vulnerable. It would also not render the cloaked enemies visible to allies.
    • Up x 1
  10. Icehole1999

That’s a way better idea than mine.
  11. Luicanus

It's actually quite similar to aspects of what you had suggested. You'd mentioned Infravision already, I was just trying to consider the balance of it.
    I've generally observed that an implant is only directly valuable to the person using it. Counter-Intelligence and perhaps EOD Hud being the exceptions.
    • Up x 1
  12. Magma52

You don't need an implant to see them. I have no trouble picking them off while they are cloaked.
  13. Icehole1999

It’s odd. On my 55” 60hz tv and old ps4I can see cloaked Infiltrators all over the place, but not a cloaked Flash.

On my kids new ps4 with a 120hz 50” you can see everything. I can’t imagine what a PS4 pro hooked to a 4K tv would be like.
  14. FateJH

Are you suggesting I equip you?
    • Up x 5
  15. BadCoding

I'd just increase the nanite price of a Flash depending on it's equipped weapon
    -or-
    scrap the concept of them being able to equip weapons altogether.

Imo: A Flash shouldn't be capable of harassing Sunderers better than an actual Harasser due to their mix of stealth, effective anti infantry weaponry, small size and high speed while also only costing one third of a Harasser and not requiring a 2nd player, which is the design concept the Harasser has for a reason but Flashes somehow aren't affected by. The only actual downsides to a Flash are to be forced into an infiltrator as role (unable to repair) and the vulnerability of both the pilot and the vehicle. Road kills alone would be okay when you consider a Flash merely costs as much as a generic grenade.

With words about Flash visibility I'd be rather careful. They're clearly not always visible at the same range at all times while in stealth. I've had huge differences in this and I don't know what caused them.
    • Up x 2
  16. Campagne

Most dumbfires no longer OHK flashes with direct hits, thanks CAI.

Archer must be a joke. :p
  17. Sazukata

I'd be fine with armed Flashes costing 100 nanites.

It'd also help with their annoying levels if they didn't practically cease to exist past ~25m. The Wraith cloak doesn't seem to be as visible as a sprinting Infiltrator at medium range, which it should be.
    • Up x 1
  18. Icehole1999

It’s not so bad. 3 or 4 shots I think. The Archer is the only primary I’ve been using lately.
    • Up x 1
  19. Doc Jim

Actually, the Archer feels more reliable to me than launchers when trying to take out a wraith flash.
    The high muzzle velocity, low drop, good accuracy and decent rate of fire with the bolt mod make it an acceptable supporting AV weapon.
  20. Moz

It already exists.... Its called Safe Fall.

Normal fall damage now starts at 75 meters, lethal fall damage starts near 230 meters, and you take 50% less damage from vehicles that collide with you. MAX units can equip.

If you really cant manage to see / avoid them (really easy to avoid) run safe fall. Either that or you.... SHOOT EM!