Why can't we have OP things?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Campagne

I call the validity and integrity of that video into question. I feel that it did not accurately depict a realistic engagement, nor did it reflect an optimized loadout for each of the three weapons.

The following is the recorded TTKs of each weapon in seconds:
    • Mjolnir -- Short range = 6.207s/6.2s, Long range A = 10.046s/10.0s, Long range B = 8.575s/8.6s, Average Long range TTK = 9.3105s/9.3s
    • Vulcan -- Short range = 7.871s/7.9s, Long range = 17.021s/17.0s
    • Aphelion -- Short range = 8.702s/8.7s, Long range A = 23.358s/23.4s, Long range B = 26.494s/26.5s, Average Long range TTK = 24.926s/24.9s, Long range (Burst) = 15.299s/15.3s
    First of all, it is very clear equal testing was not performed. Each of the three weapons was given one round from a short distance, but only the Mjolnir and Aphelion were given two rounds from longer range, while the Aphelion's wave attacks were tested merely once at long range.

Either a data point for the Vulcan was observed but not recorded or no second observation was made. Likewise for the wave-focused usage of the Aphelion. This is a very small sample size regardless.

Secondly, all three weapons are equipped with max rank extended mags, which grants an additional 8 rounds universally. This is somewhat illogical for the given weapons.

The Mjolnir did not require the additional 8 grenades, and the Vulcan & Aphelion both suffered a significant loss of DPS due to the need to reload and wind-up an additional time. Given the absolute minimal benefit of all of 8 more rounds per magazine in a chaingun, the much more logical choice for the two weapons would be an increase in reload speed. This would reduce their TTK while having literally no impact on the TTK of the Mjolnir.

Lastly, in an actual fight were both parties are moving a differing speeds in a rapidly changing X & Y distance between each other and likely the subject of attention of other third-party threats, ~100% accuracy is a practical impossibility.

Ultimately, I strongly contest the video as proof of anything other than the importance of proper research practice. :cool:
  2. raffa2

I call ******** on your post and say the Mjolnir, is dominating vehicle game, maxed or not.
  3. Tankalishious

I STRONGLY suggest you pay attention, and lift your nose up from what seems like a biased perspective of the mjolnir.
    I say its a comparison of UNDUELLED dmg, meaning RAW dmg where factors like engagement, terrain, skill etc does not come into play. What this means is, the data you see is THE POTENTIAL of the mjolnir, the 100% potential.

further, you dont understand the video nor weapons it seems.
    The mjolnir and aphelion were given two rounds at distance because THEY HAVE ALTERING CONE! Meaning, Mjolnir and aphelion have an increased cone of fire if you just smash that fire button.
    The first distance engagement of the mjolnir showes the bloom alowing to minimise between volleys to maximise accuracy. the second just hammers it.
    The second(hold fire button) is faster because the bloom is minimal at a distance mjolnir isnt supposed to be the top dog.

The Vulcan doesnt have a cone of fire that increases, meaning it will remain steady +- a few increments every time. Plastering 10 runs of it will not change anything

The aphelion is shown 3 runs from a distance.
    THE FIRST run has an accidential pulse fired on the first 7 shots, and thus was redone, so discard this.
    The second run was a full auto pew pew run.
    The third was a pulsed run.

I say again, THIS IS RAW DMG, nothing more. BUT, even though the data size is small, its RAW UN-DUELLED DMG. Meaning, its a pretty good measure of DPS POTENTIAL. At 100% potential, the mjolnir just is the top dog in both CQ and medium ranges.

The aphelion has a bloom so big on medium range engagements, that it far surpasses the tank rear edges. You will get bigger kill differences with aphelion than the other guns, as they dont bloom up way past the tank frame. But, it will not differ by several seconds. The aphelion is thus VERY pulse dependent to make efficient dmg cause bloom lets the non-pulse shots go all over the place.

Further, extended mags. No harasser crew in their right and sane mind run ANYTHING ELSE BUT mag size. Reason for this is simple. Oneclip capabilities. Their skill level and confidence is at at level where they rather use extended mags to have that capability, and risk the negotable few tenths of a sec reload time. Cause, one-clipping if you can do it, takes less time than reloading, meaning less exposure in the killing zone. And here is the significant disadvantage vulcan and aphelion has at medium ranges. THEY CANT ONE-CLIP, THEY HAVE TO RELOAD, THE MJOLNIR DOESNT, it doesn't even need all the 8 extra pellets.
    Seriously, reload time? I cant even.... Just ask around, ALL the good harasser crews run mag size, its the same for all the good ESF pilots.

Things changes abit when you put theory to practise as i said earlier. Engagement selections, terrain, distance, enemies around target paying attention, skill levels etc. BUT, as i said in the OP, the mjolnir skales INCREDIBLY well with skill. It has a flat dmg regardless of distance . If you can aim properly its a unsurpassed killer.
    Remember, i have auraxiumed harassers with all fraction spesific weapons. Harassing is what i do. We have extensive seat time in all fraction spesific guns. The mjolnir after the 20dmg per pellet buff has turned into an insane killing machine IN THE RIGHT HANDS. A good crew controls their engagements and play upwards of 100% potential, thats why its so deadly. Even if you would say that 100% potential is impossible, a 95% mjolnir crew who knows what theyre doing, have a clear dmg potential over the two other fractions. They will have a higher base killing potential before you add in terrain, speed, skill, engagement situations etc.

Also, aiming with the mjolnir in a duel is **** easy. Its beyond easy really. A bit different from other weapons cause arch, yes. But it is easy once you crack the code.
  4. Campagne

The potential, yes. However this is an unrealistic potential. In theory and in the VR absolutely everything is better than in practice. The Mjolnir cannot realistically be expected to achieve near perfect accuracy in an actual fight and needs to do good damage when it does hit. The thing is designed with the idea that it will not land every shot.

Ah, I see. My mistake. In my defence it's hard to see the difference in the CoF behind the "TechSmith" written in the center of the screen. :p

Regardless though, doing so with a Mjolnir is foolish given the weapon blooms mid-burst anyways, as replicated by your brother's data, hence why I kinda just assumed chance didn't favour the first attempt.

Point still stands however, only one trial for each weapon under each type of engagement isn't strong evidence for anything. As an example I suppose, but looking only at the recorded data we have no way of knowing if these numbers were higher or lower than the average.

Also if the first Aphelion round was a fluke, it shouldn't have been included in the video. Also statistical anomalies such as this are washed away with larger sample sizes. ( ;) )

No harasser crew in their right mind... would choose anything other than 8 more rounds per magazine? In the short range engagements, the Vulcan had extra rounds to spare over the additional 8 and the Aphelion seemed to have 6 rounds by the end. The Prowler would have simply burned if the two rounds actually even damaged it. (Or if we had more than one instance to compare it with.) The meager 8-round addition doesn't have a large chance of making the difference for either the Vulcan and to a slightly lessor extent the Aphelion. Maybe for the Mjolnir...

In the video it is obvious reload speed would have helped hand over fist over the increased magazine. The Mjolnir didn't need to reload because of its higher damage per mag.

The Mjolnir scales with skill, but the required skill to use the weapon to the fullest extent in a realistic engagement is impractically high.

Take for example the Pilot. It has the fastest non-instant headshot TTK in the entire game, yet since its post-release popularity died down I've seen one person using it -- myself. The weapon cannot be controlled well enough against a moving, strafing, and/or distant target to land all three consecutive headshots with its heavy recoil. --If you can aim properly its an unsurpassed killer. ;)

That's fair. You're not going to state why or how you disagree? :p
    • Up x 1
  5. raffa2

No, because that video is straightforward enough, and if you used a tank, sunderer or harasser, as other factions you'd have noticed already NC are abusing its power and doing Mjonir **** runs.