5 Things:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BadCoding, Dec 7, 2017.

1. BadCoding

1) Remove the spotting mechanic:
    The mechanic is unreliable anyways. Sometimes it works, sometimes it refuses to work for multiple seconds, getting you killed. Whatever is highlighted is focussed to be shot, everything else may do whatever in the meantime.
    There's no way of avoiding combat and killing single enemies, except for infils, even if using silencers if being spot-marked by anyone just once. I'd have a one week test run with that turned off and see how that plays out (shhh).

2) Lock-on stupidity:
    a) Vehicles with just their turrets exposed get line of sight + attack option towards a lock-on weapon user while they lock-on weapon user doesn't because the target bone of the vehicle is it's body, not the turret. That needs to be fixed as it's ******** this way.

b) Line of sight interruption:
    If lock-on was stopped by brief line of sight interruption, be it an ally of the branch of a tree, it starts all over at 0 seconds, counting up again.
    How about valueing the time lost vs the time already invested so that the time required to lock on the same target doesn't start at 0s again just because I got not even line of sight but just line of target bone blocked for like 0.1s ?

c) Actually lock on targets:
    The lock on doesn't lock on. If there's a bunch of vehicles tight together on a bridge and I'm trying to use a lock-on launcher to target any specific vehicle it'll often jump around between targets because I can't make it lock onto a specific target to only try to aquire that and ignore all other targets unless leaving zoom mode by either canceling it or reloading. If I could make it lock on a specific target I'd actually be able to use the weapon opposed to not being able to while the enemies move a lot close to another.

3) Not combat relevant screen clutter & audio garbage:
    Could we get an option that REMOVES all non-combat screen clutter and audio garbage:
    a) Facility captured / lost popup + audio dialogue
    b) taunts (also for allies), thanks
    c) contintent captured popup
    d) Alert popups (there already exist multiple screen notifications; I hate popups)

4) Spawn autoselection:
    I'm pretty damn sick and tired of my spawn point being autoselected over and over by the system, having to correct that garbage over and over again whenever it tries to do so. The system should simply never select anything on it's own. I'm perfectly fine and capable of doing so manually but annoyed of having to constantly fix the spawn autoselections f*ck ups.

5) Spawn queue:
    If I select to autospawn I get a timer and am spawned automatically.
    If I select to manually spawn I get a timer and need to wait for being allowed to click it. Rétarded design. Just allow me to click it right away and spawn when ready ! Why the hell would I need to watch a timer to be allowed to click a button ? Whose brilliant idea was that ?
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

That's a pretty decent idea, actually.
    There's an option to turn the HUD off. Additionally, UserOptions.ini has other options under the UI section to remove various onscreen elements.
    There's not too much in the way of audio that i know but you can set "Sound / MaxVoices" to a low number and it will begin cutting out different sounds. (Note: not voice chat, I don't think, but other in-game vocal cues.) Be careful with this one because it may also cut into normal game audio after a point and not just voices.
    Are you talking about Elysium binding? If you're talking about the just-died-quick-spawn option, then you're expecting something different than what it was intended to do.
    Old system, meet new system. Also, auto-spawn has always been a snap decision. The manual deployment selection list is open to changing, having entries added or removed, even while the timers are counting so it probably seemed safer to withhold the ability to choose than to have to do cleanup afterwards if the option that previously selected goes away.
  3. BadCoding

No. I mean that I spawn somewhere, let's say a biolab, die there and next time I get to the map screen another spawn has been auto-selected, typically a Sunderer deployed anywhere unrelated to the current battle. And the system won't stop doing that. On top of that each time I reselect my actually user-decided spawn point I receive +5s increased waiting time before being allowed to spawn because of selecting a different spawn point while it wasn't me that changed that in the first place.
  4. LordKrelas

So basically, that sniper, or hard-spot-opponent, or anyone in smoke, can't be spotted.
    So every single ally \ enemy has to personally spot & adjust to a target at an increasing distance, and no one can show enemy positions, everything is completely visual, just so the spotting-mechanic doesn't get you killed, for I'd assume sitting still for ages, trying to spot a target?

And you have an issue with focused-fire on spotted targets?

Isn't that the point of spotting them? So they don't have free-rein on anything that doesn't have them directly & visually in LOS?
    Amplifying inability failure to use terrain, cover to being able to be stealthy, by removing all but Vocal spotting of targets, let alone long-range targets..

Have you ever had enemies on a mountain top, that are not the simplest to see, and tried to pin-point their location by voice?
    Like dear lord, getting them to fire on the spotted *****, is hard enough.

I get you get spotted, and can't manage to take that into consideration, let alone that a silencer blocks the minimap pop-up not being spotted by the enemy, which something you can't wave away with a gun modification...
    But yeah means you actually have to be stealthy to not be spotted by the enemy, and not have them literally need to vocally state your position in a play-by-play, over anything else..
    You know, not just "I shot him, they saw me, but unless they give the exact coordinates to allies in the area, each area, no one else will even know I'm here, since everything is voice-only"
  5. BadCoding

You could've just written that you're reeeally angry about that interest of me wanting to try it without spotting for 1 week.
    All that text was pointless.
  6. Eternaloptimist

IDK why spotting can be erratic but it is sometimes. IIRC the only way it ought to draw unwelcome attention is because it highlights you on the minimap when you call out a spot report. I never Q spot when cloaked or trying to sneak up on a target myself. Otherwise, hitting Q is just a reflex that doesn't interrupt what I am doing or distract me from what is going on around me. And the whole purpose of Q spotting others is so that they get shot more - or so that you can warn allies of a threat approaching - if you don't have recon darts or motion sensors. Can't see anything wrong with that mayself

To get a lock on requires a certain amount of reflective target mass to return a decent ping from the lock on sensor I guess - and that seems fair enough. So does the tendency of things getting in the way causing an interruption. I have occasionally been able to hold a lock for a short time if a target has popped in and out of distant cover but that Max who thinks he is the only person playing and walks right into your line of sight from 1 meter away (sometimes straight through your toon) kills the lock every time.

I never select auto spawn myself, I always go for manual 'Change Spawn' button so if I end up in the wrong battle it's my fault. I've never experienced a delay in being able to select Change Spawn so IDK what triggers that.

Yes, the spawn queue can be awful from what I've heard. I've been lucky to avoid long waits so far as I pay to play and get queue priority as well as being happy to play the underpop faction (also, on EU servers I am not plagued by some of the reported player behaviours on other servers). But IDK what can be done about it.
  7. stalkish

Hear hear!
    Spotting mechanic is ********.
    All stealth, all flanking, all suit slots or chassis options for stealth, sensor shield; all of it is countered instantly by some1 pressing 1 button.....
    Pretty pathetic imo.
    But, you wont find support for your idea, planetside is made up of slowbrained individuals, without such aids they would be too confused to play the game and would quit. The original devs did not cater to an intelligent playerbase, wed end up with 30 players on each side for the entire game... Just look at the minimap for any infantry fight, motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter motion spotter. They simply cant play without legit wall hacks.

Also there are implants designed around it, and we all know the devs will happily re-balance the entire game to make their cash grab more appealing, so it wont ever happen.

Id settle for a personal or squad only spotting mechnic tbh, not magically telling the entire empire where someone is.
    Perhaps friendlies will still hear the callout, 'enemy heavy spotted' or whatever but not be given a dorito and map location instantly, theyd then have to either ask for a compass direction, or watch where you shoot and aquire the target themself. So they still get alerted to the enemy presence, they just have to actualy do something to find them, not follow a triangle and a dot...
  8. LordKrelas

Bah.
    I felt better about being very specific on why I would be annoyed with being unable to rally people to engage the pixel-sized target on a mountain, without literally spending more time explaining & estimating distance vocally, as text would be murderously worse.

Stealth: Auto-detect gone.
    Flanking; if it's entirely dependent on the enemy being unable to communicate past verbal proxmity, or text-based communication of your position, your flank is dependent on a blind & unreactive opponent.

Sensor Shield: Prevents your *** from being detected automatically by sensor systems.
    If it also blocked you from being spotted, every single possible way of identifying or coordinating an attack would be literally reduced to proximity chat & text, in the middle of battle, as if marking systems weren't a thing.
    He has a passive implant: This counters all possible actions, past vocal coordinate positioning of a moving threat.

So slow brained, that spotting is a plague to people who can't handle it, or need there to be no possible way to quickly communicate an enemy's position... let alone due to a passive item, countering an active action.

Motion-Spotter: Does what it should.
    Sensor Shield, EMP's, learning that there is a defense against ambushes' stealth aspect...
    If you can't manage to properly flank or ambush for any result, due to a sensor, or being seen...

What the hell was the point of the flank? How well was it planned, if being seen or detected rendered you unable to do anything?

With the automated verbal; And this is useful how?
    "Light Assault Spotted" , okay, and let me see what direction that guy was facing..
    Oh there's 15 instances of this.

Let's reduce any device's imput to verbal requirements to bicker about "north facing, 10-15 meters past that landmark" as if we were trying to spot an artillery shell's arc, for identifying an enemy combatant with mountains of technology capable of reviving the dead.

We might as well remove squad & voice chat: The range is far past a damn basic radio, without easy blocking.
    Than have the inability to rapidly identify an enemy of the empire to an ally sitting 5 meters away, without having a massive discussion just to determine the spot they were seen once upon a time.

After all: Detection being a thing, is equal to wall hacks.
    Heaven forbid we are able to identify a target without verbal translation of targeting data.
    Recon is God.

Fighting Blind is for fools.
  9. stalkish

I guess well have to agree to disagree, i think its dimwitted slow brained individuals who have to rely on spotting an motion sensors personally.

Stealth is instantly countered with Q, thats a whole slot useless the minute some1 presses Q. So awesome flanking is not rewarded as the entire army is aware as soon as some1 presses Q, 1 ******* button........excellent gameplay.
    Everyone can type, everyone can use voice, i dont see why the game needs to show to 100% accuracy where the enemy is just because some1 pressed Q once, even if i then make efforts to hide myself im still visible for 10 seconds on the radar, thats a lot of time that could be used to change direction, move to another piece of cover, or fall back but cannot be used that way as the enemy, without being able to see me now, can still track my exact location, again just because some1 pressed Q....once....

Sensor shield is crap, you clearly havent tried to use it have you......
    It clears your detection down to 20m from the detector, and thats at max rank, ever seen infiltrators shooting motion spotters? i mean quality infils not random **** players? They cover the entire area surrounding a base, there is no point where your 20m away from a spotter.
    Seriously do you play the game?
    Also i like how you made up something i said, when did i ask for sensor shield to remove personal spotting? Go back and re-read, concentrate this time. I said personal spotting is fine, i.e you see some1, press Q and its the same as now, just not magically sent to the whole faction.
    Seroiusly saying 'hurr durr, use sensor shield' is nonsens considering the way you have to get it. I might never get it since its random chance...

So i have to spend 75 res to counter free, ammo pack resupplied spotter, ok that makes sense......
    What this means is i can counter 10 motion spotters, then im done, and the infil is free to provide radar with no way to destroy the spotter, nice.
    Also please tell me where i could possible flank a point and not be seen by a spotter.
    Players sit inside a room waiting for the dot to enter, they even pre-fire before you enter sometimes, and as a bonus since theyre camping a room there could be 50 of them and id not know it since motion spotters dont help me because they dont have to move....

Please just stop with the personal attacks, or come and play with or against me if you think im ****.
    Seriously its reaching pathetic now, evey time some1 makes a point about anything the instant response is 'git gud scrub' 'you must be ****' bla bla bla bla bla.
    Not instersted in ad-hominen, attack my point or dont bother posting, you just make yourself look like a disgruntled fanboi, which im sure isnt you intent.

It was perfectly fine in PS1, you heard 'cloaked enemy detected' and you were aware of a cloaker.
    You heard 'incoming enemy aircraft' and you took cover.
    You heard 'warning sniper!' and you took cover.
    You dont need to know exactly where everything is at all times, just that there is a threat and to watch for it.
    How much of the game do you want to be played for you?
    Pretty sure when some1 calls out its listed in the chat window, it takes less than half a second to have a look who called it out.

Uhhg, its not about realism...........something you echo when it suits you agenda. Its about having fun.
    Fun in a sandbox MMO like this is about having lots and lots of things to do, i feel spotting almost removes an entire aspect of gameplay, and without the infiltrator cloak removing spotting it would be even worse.
    By your logic, its unfair for cloakers to avoid being spotted, so we should allow cloaked infils to be spotted then, dorito and all. Because afterall, its the skill of the infil isnt it? They should be able to flank and stealth without the crutch of removing a spot, infact they should never get seen by any enemies ever....right?

Remove voice?
    What, i said remove spotting in favour of voice, why are you talking about removing voice?
    Jumping at the bit are you slightly?

Well in many many many FPS game ive played over 20+ years of online gaming, such motion detection devices are actualy considered cheating as the game doesnt have such items. Its only really, with maybe a few exceptions, the new games that have such crutch mechanisms, older gamers are more than willing to actualy communicate with people, might aswel just play single players with lots and lots of bots otherwise.

Again this is all just preference, opinion, thoughts.
    There really is no need for snarky personal attacks, if you do that again ill just add you to ignore and be done with it, cba with that **** at my age, too much actual **** to be concerned with.
    Have a conversation or dont bother at all.
  10. JibbaJabba

Spotting is just fine.

If you get spotted it's because you got spotted. In the real world someone would holler to their buddies and point at you. This isn't entirely practical in a video game so you get the spot mechanic.

Want to not be spotted? Don't get spotted. Dead men don't spot (without an implant :p )
    • Up x 1
  11. LordKrelas

You mean the motion sensors, designed to get recon, that can be avoided entirely by crouch-walking?
    You mean so people aren't having to look 360 degrees, and personally identify every single possible object?

Q-Spotting is instantly countered by: Not being visible \ in-sight of the enemy, or simply reducing exposure to that risk.
    If Stealth was literally impossible to counter, by sounding the alarm, what exactly did you do in stealth?
    Run through a field?
    Run in-front of the enemy?

Why exactly must every solider by identified by voice, like artillery operators sighting a shot?
    That's not stealth that each soilder needs to personally translate targeting data from their screen to anothers', that's a extra-complication for a low-level action, in the middle of a fire-fight pointlessly, when there is no logical reason for this.

Sensor-Shield is crap?
    Only if you run in sensor-fields, as in lots of them.
    Those Sensors aren't put there by the brain-dead - they logically set-up a detection grid.
    Rather than send out soldiers to personally scan every inch of terrain, they fire sensors out, to scan for moving opponents.
    If it's a motion-sensor, you crouch, and if you were noticed for a moment, change position, and re-enter crouched.
    That's assuming it's that close by - if not, you can literally run full-speed, and not be seen by the defensive sensor.
    IE your enemy's recon data, can be countered easily. Sensors are not the God's eye, they have simplistic counter-measures.

As well, if it wasn't sent to nearby allies (Spotting has limits btw), then it's barely useful.
    Here focus fire, here enemy threat incoming.

As well, I actually haven't done a single personal attack.
    [IMG]
    You start off with the slow-brained bit, I simply re-used your own phrase in the reverse light.
    Welcome to the world.

As well, asking how effective that flanking was, if being spotted ruins it entirely, isn't a personal attack.
    It's asking how exactly that flank was meant to work, if being seen ruins it completely.
    Seems basically reliant on the enemy being blind.

Asking how to pick the direction from the dozen people spotting, in a perfect situation is horrid.
    In a fight-fight - yeah good luck.

- Which is when the comments about how such communication in voice as text would easily kill you, would boil down to.
    After all, how exactly are you telling your ally, past "ENEMY SOMEWHERE", of their position?
    A lengthy description, or bickering talk from the numerous people doing the exact same thing...

The next about why to "remove voice" isn't you, it's related however to your arguments on why spotting removes stealth, and is for slow-brains.
    As to actually inform an ally next to you, that a target whom isn't directly in-front or even is, basically requires you to proximity-chat or use the fatal text-box in combat, to translate everything from your screen to theirs.
    IE lining up a shot for an artillery shell, while not being able to share the same sight.

And the last bits:
    Wall hacking = Recon data , being laughable.
    This isn't a match-game, with surprise use of the fixed-terrain being important, for kills to win the match.
    This is a proper game where Information is golden.
    Infils have a few enough tools to actually help their allies: providing intelligence (recon data, not saying you're an idiot) to them of the enemy's positions.

All of which assumes the enemy doesn't remember the simplistic trick to dodging sensors.
    Crouching, Sensor-Shields, positioning where detection doesn't matter, to disabling the sensors.

Like dear lord.
    When I insult you, I'll actually make it clear.
    • Up x 1
  12. JibbaJabba

Shenanigans.

Stealth isn't countered by Q. Go try it. Q spot a cloaked infiltrator and see what happens.
    • Up x 2
  13. Razeel

sht ton of ppl actually using emp grenades to counter spotters and btw for some reason 90% won't shoot glowing darts even when they under their feet so...
    PS. I agree it's to much and spotting should be reduced in time and range, but not removed completely thats for sure.
  14. Halkesh

Sotting go on cooldown because of game mechanic introduced in that update : http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Update_Number_2

I agree with you, if something has to change, it should be the range (the alert range, you should still be able to spot enemy at any range) and the duration.
    Maybe give counter intelligence to everyone by default ?
  15. BadCoding

We all know pretty well that spotting sometimes refuses to work even if it hasn't been used for multiple minutes. This has nothing to do with spamming the button. The issue will happen randomly even if not having spotted anything for multiple minutes.

----------

The current spotting is crap because it sometimes refuses to work, gives everyone the exact position of the enemy on their screen with a nice little marker showing the exact position of the enemy and it's basically live-tracking of any enemy, even after losing line of sight to it, with the view direction, for multiple seconds. A "last known position" spotting system, showing just the enemy type and facing direction for some seconds, without updating position and facing direction on the radar until that enemy ID is spotted again and without on-screen indicator for everybody, showing exactly where to shoot at - that'd be okay. That would even allow to finally spot infiltrators despite their stealth as it wouldn't matter whether they use stealth or not, as it's no live-update anymore.

Regarding the crouching: This is just bad advice to win an argument. Moving slower means a higher chance of randomly encountering enemy infantry or getting shot by a sniper. Yeah, the sensor doesn't detect the player anymore but that's only one possible way of how things could go wrong. Speed is key as well as being able to make use of unusual spots and cover to not be seen. Also the issue with sensors is the delay: if you realize they've just been used in your area or that you've walked in range of a motion spotter you've already pinged on the map, so enemies know you're there. I'd use the distance as tick frequency limiter, much like in the Alien movies: Nearby = fast radar ticks, further out = slow updates on the radar. The further away an enemy is the harder it'd be to actually figure out where that enemy is moving. The motion spotter should eventually become a directional tool (partial sphere) instead of a full sphere, covering everything in range and with a range within which it shows up on the map that lies a little outside it's detection range so that players who pay attention can actually react to it instead of being insta-f*cked. The darts are so easy to use that their uptime and max ammo should be reduced, the range a little too, maybe, but mainly their high uptime.
  16. LordKrelas

I admit the perfect live-tracking can be overkill.

However, crouching or using the Sensor-Shield, removes your signature - and if you pop into it: Well, re-position
    - if it managed to catch you unaware, or even for a milisecond register at all, is that a fluke, or proper placement of the sensor?

If you aren't able to crouch, or re-position, relying entirely on speed... why exactly should you be immune or not at risk for detection?
    As well, aren't these sensors meant to complicate the ability to blitz in silently?
    What are they for? Detecting the direction of the Enemy barely if at all?

The darts sure as simple: As is noticing their loud pings on the map.
    Unlike the deployed Motion-Sensor, which you only see when you triggered it: A sensor-trap.
    A defensive deploy-able more often than not.

To counter properly deployed sensor nets, you... use Sensor-Shield, adapt to the not-blind-enemy, and perhaps realize if you wish to be fast, that you risk detection to the enemy?
    If you are sneaking into an alarmed compound, do you sneak in quietly & slowly, or jump in & running around as fast as possible?
    Which do you think triggers the alarms? If you answered Speed, you are correct.
    After all, why exactly is moving as fast as possible, which minimizes exposure time, and reduces enemy reaction time, which is constant (the rushing) also countering Sensors set-up to alert the enemy of your rushing?

Think about it.
    The enemy creeps in, or uses sensor-shield, and unless you have motion-sensors set-up everywhere close-range not just covering the place but overlapping hard, the enemy actually has countered the sensor-defenses.
    But if speed countered both the sensors, and the reaction time for allied forces to intercept..
    What would be the point in ever using Sensor-Shield or slowing down?
    Speed beats sensors, and lets you engage the enemy without warning better than actually sneaking in?

IE, I set sensors up, to ensure if the enemy can't blitz in IE has the firepower in their rush to succeed, they die.
    The Smart ones, creep in, either during this, or do so slowly if need be, to actually surprise attack.

If the speed-run is able to not care about the threat of detection entirely, what exactly is going to?
    Like seriously.
    If you can rush in full speed, and not be detected, without even any prep, what exactly is that Sensor going to be useful for?
    Detecting Stalkers?
    The mili-second before the Full sprint hits?
  17. adamts01

The spot mechanic is pretty crappy, one of the reasons I was grinding ISO to get counter intelligence back, used to have it on all my characters with the old implants. Thanks rng.

It is a pretty lame mechanic, that you can spot infantry and then everyone can track his movement for a couple seconds regardless of cover, add to that how unreliable it is. I'd actually prefer that it be removed all together or at least replaced with an audio call out "HA, north east, 150m". Or even a spot hat encompasses 10 degrees of vision "Multiple infantry and vehicles, south west".
  18. FateJH

Shortening the "spotted" time would be much easier and cheaper. That's a considerable amount of voice-acting work you'd be requesting.
  19. BadCoding

Somehow you formed the false thought in your head that I asked for the ability to move fast and stay undetected and made a whole post about it.

Just for you to clarify:
    Mentioning that speed, the usage of unusual spots and cover increases the chance to avoid (visual) detection is just common sense.
    The counterpart would be: Being slow, using obvious spots and no cover reduces the chance to avoid (visual) detection.

I know you thought that this was all about radar detection but I'm merely pointing out that if you're moving so slow (crouching) then you're just increasing the chance of being found by all the guys running around. Simple as that. It's an anti radar argument winner but not any more beyond that. In the game, despite being an implemented mechanic, it just doesn't work. The movespeed difference between crouching and running is too high to make it an option, which is why the other mentioned things are what actually works, even when being a ping on the radar. Good infils know this.