C4 feels like the new "lolpods"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by xMeserionx, Dec 3, 2017.

1. csvfr

I'm thinking, why should the tanker have an easy mode bailing his tank if rolling it up like a jack*** into enemy territory? Same goes when playing inf, if you straightforwardly sprint into a crowded room you don't get much of a warning then either. If the tanker is camping at approximately the same location for an extended duration of time, consider placing a spitfire there. Not only will it warn you seconds before, it will also point the direction to the enemy and kill/damage him automatically.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

A failure since everything else fails to actually kill without en-masse, inaction of target, or overwhelming the hell out of the driver.
    That's not a failure of C-4, that's a failure of AV, that they have these issues.

C-4, if made to mystically be ineffective more so, granting vehicles even more time, and ease of handling infantry AV...
    Would just empower vehicles to not give a damn about infantry AV.

But I can't even tell if that's a disagreement or acceptance with my post.
    But I agree on the whole AV issues listed in your reply.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dealman

I just recently got back to PS2 to check out the construction stuff. I mostly play Engineer as I like the vehicular combat and supporting teammates.

However last week I've been doing some LA and C4 and oh boy, once you unlock your 2nd C4, you will be a one-man army. You can alone turn the tide of the battle SIGNIFICANTLY by messing up vehicles and MAX suits.

There's just no risk to it and the rewards are skyhigh.

In all honesty, I really think C4 is overpowered. It's somewhat expensive to unlock but it's just too versatile and too easy to use. There has to be some risk added to it - getting killed in PS2 is not a risk. Just respawn and try again.

Not sure what would be the best way to balance it, maybe some kind of mechanic so it can't be spammed. Like in the old days where you had to pay to resupply them or something - can't really recall.

Maybe buff other AV equipment and nerf C4 as those equipment take some actual skill and planning to execute. Whereas C4 is just a mind-dead zerg tactic that even I can do :p
  4. BadCoding

@Dealman's post above:
    The actual fix to the weak infantry AV weapons would be to just increase infantry respawn time to 20s or even 30s. With that medics would suddenly become relevant in any infantry related combat to skip the long respawn times and also relevant to hold the lines. The requirement of medics and the increased respawn times would lower the amount of AV weapons vehicles have to deal with and to balance that out stronger AV weapons would be ok to get for infantry.

The only thing I'd buff at the moment would be AV mines, but only vs vehicles, not vs MAXes and the AV "Phalanx" turrets inside non-player-bases which overheat too fast and deal too little damage vs everything.
    Aside from the AV topic the Lightning's AA version also needs a buff to be capable of doing it's sole job. Either that or better survivability on that thing.

With the increased respawn times in place:
    Infils should also cause enemies that they perform headshots on to have increased respawn time, +5s on headshot kills with scout- or semi-auto sniper rifles, +10s on headshot kills with actual oneshot-capable sniper rifles. That'd allow them to really slow down enemy advance if they do their job well, which would be their tactical role. While at it I'd seperate the current infil into 2 seperate classes: an infil with pistol, knife, current stealth, hacking, motion spotter, the passive ability to run faster while a knife is equipped and the certable passive ability to get extra pistol mags and in a sniper with knife, pistol, scout rifle / semi-auto- or actual sniper rifle without hacking, with sensor darts and camouflage instead of stealth. Imo the SMGs should go to LAs only as those specialize in flanking, mobility, speed and exotic positions.
  5. Dealman

Sadly I think that would make it worse, spawn camping with vehicles would just become an even bigger and more prominent issue than it already is. The delayed spawning would play heavily in their favour and make a comeback a lot harder.

The problem with infantry AV weapons is that tanks in this game are very, very mobile and can very easily pop in and out of action to perform repairs(not to mention very fast repairs). This just makes it a stalemate battle. C4 remedy this to some extent, but it's poorly designed just becomes a suicide bomber sort of gadget.

Buffing AV weapons a bit, not all but some of the more basic ones would allow for a bigger chance of pushing back vehicles through variety and tactics - rather than having to rely on C4 spam.

This discussion is about C4 and not really overall class balance. I don't think re-designing the entire game is the way to go to balance one gadget.

The point is, C4 is the one gadget that can easily turn a losing battle around. No risks for something that can turn an entire battle around is gigantic design flaw if you ask me.

As for your infiltrator suggestion, while interesting on paper I think in practice it wouldn't work. I personally wouldn't want some hyper counter strike stealth knife running in Planetside 2, the whole idea of running faster just cause you have a knife equipped makes me feel sick. :p

I agree infiltrator needs some re-design to actually make it useful for something other than grinding certs. Maybe making them an alternative for anti aircraft, rewarding good aim and ability to lead fast moving targets.

I don't really play too much infiltrator so I don't feel very comfortable discussing their balance. :D
  6. Liewec123

i play all 3 factions, insta death within 30 seconds because of c4 sucks no matter what max you're playing.
    there are plenty of weapons that kill maxes in several shots, but nothing should insta kill them.
    especially not something that is hurled across the room by 4/5 infantry classes...
    • Up x 1