Performance Issues/FPS drops

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OminousZ, Oct 19, 2017.

1. OminousZ

Just a little history...I haven't played this game in like in 6 months and prior I used to be able to run it on full Ultra settings, Vsync On, with some minor graphic adjustments like shadows and stuff with 70-80 FPS in large battles and of course 100-110 in regular gameplay about 2-3 months ago. But now, I get 40-50, sometimes dropping to 35 in large battles, and 70-90 in none. I haven't touch any settings or made any adjustments as there was no need. Furthermore, my PC is strictly for gaming, no internet suffering, no work, only gaming. All other games have seen no performance drops or issues.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue? Hopefully in today's patch, this will be fixed.

PC Specs:

Intel i7 3770k
    32g SDRAM 1866mhz RAM
    EVGA 980TI Classified GPU
    SSD drives
  2. DeathRaven

Hi,
    I hate it when others give the advice I am about to give you but this actually worked for me (it NEVER does normally but they made quite a few changes it seems to how the game runs in last patch it seems. I am seeing better FPS overall):

- Completely uninstall and delete the game. I actually had trouble uninstalling my years old installation and had to manually delete the folders (remember to remove from programs list in control panel if you need to do this).
    - Do a clean install of Nvidia drivers and related software. The driver package has an option to do this if you customise installation.
    - Finally re-download and install the game.
  3. OminousZ

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it
  4. Pat22

I have the same problem. Let me know how the suggested solution works out and I'll give it a go too.
    • Up x 1
  5. ObiVanuKenobi

• Up x 1
  6. SammyStoner

I've been having issues as well, I went from 60-120 fps most places with it dropping to the 40's in big battles to now getting 15-60 fps. Played for a few days, played another game for a day and planetside 2 was broken when I came back, noticed some little download in the launcher when I opened planetside 2 so not sure if that's what broke it or not. Seen a few people all having similar issues as me, so doesn't seem os or driver related(I'm running Windows 7 and amd, others had Windows 10 and nvidia). So far tried verifying files, deleting some certain files and verifying, deleting ini file and verifying(which both broke the game), and reinstalling the game and it's still broke.
    Launch planetside 2 and suddenly cpu spikes to 90% and gpu sits around 15%, yet temps are a couple degrees above idle.
  7. OminousZ

Well, I tried what @DeathRaven advised and it didn't work; I uninstalled the game, rolled back the drivers, did a clean re-install of them, re-installed PS2 and same issues. I've tested the card with other games just incase it was a hardware issue and I have no FPS problems; same great performance. So, I guess we have to wait until DB fixes whatever was done to cause these issues.

I also wanted to add, adjusting the graphics settings only changes the look of the game and doesn't seem to have a positive impact on performance at this time. I shut down shadows, fog shadows, ambient, and still same issues.
  8. Lucidius134

Are your cores still unparked? Starting to sound more like CPU related issues than GPU.
  9. OminousZ

I
    I will try and unpark them. But the game always ran great for me, like i described in my first post. I've played for several years without issue. I didn't even have to OC my CPU or GPU. But I will try this and report back.
  10. oTec

I've been having similiar fps drops. I have a custom .ini file for my graphics settings wich have always worked great, but recently preformance got worse. I refreshed the settings with the default text file i had but no effect. It's game/update related.
  11. OminousZ

Yes, I believe this to be true. I had a custom ini file for sometime now and worked great, but not anymore. I've even reverted back to default user ini file and still no difference. I've tried the nvidia control panel tweaks..nothing.
  12. oTec

My normal warpgate fps is around 140 with some ultra/high settings and some low/off. This remained the same but in big battles it really struggles to stay 60+. Sometimes dips to like 50. Wich is still "good" but not normal for me, hate it. Maybe next patch it will improve but i wouldn't count on it.
    • Up x 1
  13. OminousZ

Well, if DBG wants to continue making money, they better get this fixed quickly. I've spent a lot of time & money on this game to support it. But if they don't support it, I no longer will.
  14. RockPlanetSide2

Yes you will, and they know it.
  15. OminousZ

Lol, this may be true for some players, but as you can see, I'm not an access member anymore. I always was. I will again if they fix the performance issues.