[Suggestion] Toggle mining laser.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by r1po, Oct 18, 2017.

1. r1po

Keeping the mousebutton pressed to get 8k into the ant is annoying.
    Pls think about implementing a toggle option.

thx
    • Up x 7
  2. Kristan

Buy Howler mining laser. Spice up your cortium harvestring!
  3. Jac70

Was thinking the same thing today - good QoL change. I'd also like to be able to drain a silo as well as fill one.
    • Up x 2
  4. TR5L4Y3R

Cool
    what about those that rather want to spent the thousand certs on stuff they need more immidiately though?
  5. FateJH

Then buy that instead and save up for later.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mr. Thoughtful

Is it worth it though? Seriously, cause I couldn't even test it, which is why i'm asking.
  7. Kristan

No it's not, save your certs. It mines fast, but overheats after 2400 units of cortium and cooldown is quite slow. I've just tried to compare those two and it happened that Howler is slower than default miner. It takes 5 more seconds to mine a 6000 node.
    • Up x 2
  8. TR5L4Y3R

so basicaly never ..
  9. FateJH

Then you don't really want it, I guess? The position you are trying to take seems unreasonable.
  10. Purp

The Howling Laser is definitely worth it. On a large node, it is slightly slower than a regular laser (~2 seconds per 10k load), otherwise on small nodes it is twice as fast. Unloading is 25% faster (Unload 50% of your tank, wait on cooldown, unload 50%... it ends up that you take 75% of the time to unload as per regular laser).
    But you really shouldn't think of it as just speed.

Think of it more as total time spent.

You roll up to a small node- drain it in 50% of the time of a regular laser- then you are spending the other 50% of your time already moving to the next node... no time wasted.

You unload 50% of your tank at the silo- hop out and grab or place an item- hop back in and unload the second half of your tank... no time wasted.

Ripplist and I did several tests and watched our score per minute, and Howling Laser was allowing me to hit 50,000 whereas the normal laser was keeping him at 29,000 (during double XP). We were mining the same area, but I was constantly moving.

Plus- Howling Laser allows you to mine the node- then look for enemies- mine the node- then look for enemies... Where the regular laser just keeps you focused on the node.
  11. stalkish

Blob a blue tak to stick your mouse button down in the mean time :p
    [IMG]
  12. TR5L4Y3R

pretty simple
    constantly to having keep clicking the button for a task that simply isn't fun to do is annoying

and spending what is iirc a 1000 certs which for some people takes 2 and a half weeks to get ( you know work and RL stuff)
    for just a minor ease of use tool when there are more gameplayimpacting tools than that just isn't worth it
  13. adamts01

The thing to do apparently is use the top laser while the Howler is cooling off. So you can bump up your solo harvesting at the cost of a top gun. It's all lame, everything about construction is lame.
  14. TR5L4Y3R

"everything about construction is lame"

.... yea i disagree
  15. Kristan

Give up Basilisk for pure mining? Naaaah! Nah.

You have no idea how many times I have saved the bases, because I just passed by and stumbled at the enemy sunderer parked near our empty base and bunch of ghostcappers are trying to get a hold of it. Free exp!
    • Up x 1
  16. adamts01

Well, it's a chore that most of the community would rather not do, even if it means never winning an alert. You basically drive around, shoot rocks, build a base in some annoying crevice, then fly back to it every 5 minutes to kill a solo infil. Until it gets helplessly crushed by a gal drop. It could be cool, and I bought everything for the base with real money because I saw the potential, but it's not cool, it's absolutely lame.
  17. Blam320

The point of base building is to provide a meta for outfits. You need a lot of people to get one up and running, let alone to defend it.
  18. TR5L4Y3R

then you build that base for the wrong reason .. hive's are not the sole reason to build pmb's .. i build bases as staging areas for when a sunderer isn't enough or as occasional firebase that
    weakens another pmb's defenses
    • Up x 1