Lightnings Are just bad now

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DrumsMcaw, Oct 1, 2017.

1. DrumsMcaw

I scored a direct hit on someone the other day with the heat cannon and they survived. True Story..
    it also took me like 3 indirect hits of splash damage to kill a light assault..Like wtf?
    The added survivability to most of the armor was a nice touch, god knows they needed it, but the damage output was pretty fine as it was. As someone who was always fond of jumping into a lighting, I find myself avoiding it more often than not. I can't be the only one who thinks this..
  2. Celtin

Use HESH, Heat is only ok against infantry and AP is mainly armor so HESH is the answer.
  3. Kristan

Welcome to Combined Arms. You should have checked the test server updates. At least read the patch notes. Wouldn't be such a surprise for you.

HEAT is sort of allround gun now, capable of everything, but not too good as specific gun. If you wish to farm infantry pick HESH. But still, HEAT has the fastest reload now, so it's still possible to kill infantry with it.
  4. ColonelChingles

Because a 100mm shell that can either penetrate MBT armour with a "molten" jet or pierce it with a superdense rod can't kill an infantryman. :rolleyes:

It would have been a surprise for anyone who had an inkling of what "combined arms" really means.
  5. Pikachu

No. Hesh is useless since the nerf against 60 deg sloped armor and change in spall direction.. ops wrong game. Anyway lightning should be given a coaxial kobalt machine gun.
    • Up x 1
  6. Kristan

AP still kills infantry on a direct hit.
  7. Halkesh

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. MuggieWara

Im about to auraxium my HESH..

As farmy as ever :D !Plus the extra ammo doesnt hurt! :D
  9. Moisture

HE farming lightning is literally just better then before.
    You get instant kills pretty much as often as before but a substantially larger ammo pool.

Im not sure what the hell is going on. Spear turrets dont instant kill with direct hits but the dedicated infantry day ruining light tank of doom is better then ever.

There is no logic to this.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pikachu

Because one gun is meant for shooting infantry, the other for tanks.
  11. Moisture

Thats not a augment.

People didn't dominate infantry with or stop bases from being over run with spear turrets.
    People didnt farm infantry with Halberds.
    HEAT hardly was ever used for anything.

These are all direct fire slow ROF weapons that rely alpha damage over sustained fire. But one is allowed farm infantry with reckless abandon while the other started bad as anti infantry then became dramatically worse.
  12. Moisture

Really the unintended side effect is its Harder to kill tanks but easier to far easier to farm infantry.
    I am now even more heavily incentivized to ignore armour when I can and just kill easier to fight targets and make more XP per hour doing it.

If they want to make well rounded vehicle gameplay weaker and less profitable/fun to run dedicated anti tank then I'm happy to stick to farming infantry with my improved tools get to deal with less vehicle born threats overall to stop me.
  13. MuggieWara

The thing is,that before the update it was quite risky to pull a HESH lightning because it was really weak against armor.

Now HESH has no real drawback dealing almost 90% of APs damage to armor while still able to massacre infantry.

This is obviously imbalanced right now and while im taking advantage of it,it needs to be adressed.

But NOT adressed in an infantry friendly manner!Raise armor resistance to HESH or APs damage to armor.Dont nerf HESH.

HESH should be able to obliterate infantry but at the same time be particularly weak against antiarmor equipped vehicles.
  14. Pikachu

It's not about dominating stuff. It's about perfering a game with minimum overlap in roles. The devs likes the idea of rock/paper/scissors and thinks it makes good combined arms. Use anti-infantry weapons to fight infantry just as you do the inverse.
    • Up x 2
  15. Zuprize

My opinion is that HEAT works really well on prowlers, HE on Lightings and maybe AP more on vans and magriders since they have ability's that don't stick them to the ground to get an advantage.

I only played a little since the patch so I can't really tell if the patch is actually good or bad thou, extra ammo on my HE lighting is welcomed thou, har har.
  16. LodeTria

Didn't you know? This CAI is the "no-one should feel at a dis-advantage" update. Well unless you can do skill-shots, in which case please stop killing casuls who could potentially become whales for us to milk. kthxbai - DBG.
  17. Oleker2

"Lightnings are bad" and no one is speaking about skyguard over-nerf to uselessness... Currently walkers and rangers are better AA than skyguard and busters.
    • Up x 1
  18. Moisture

Given the reigning in of the Liberator as a skyguard busting machine it takes the edge off the nerf a fair bit.

But I really don't understand why they couldn't have dont less then a dramatic change to its damage value.

Why does every change always have to be dramatic? Cant things only be slightly too good or bad? does every tool we have need massive reworks all the time?
  19. Oleker2

Few days ago we ware assaulting crossroads in a 96+ fight with about 10~12 skyguards and that was not enough to keep the sky enemy free. A lib did a low attack on a magrider and got about 7 skyguards on him... He lasted like 10 secons with all that flak fire on... It was ridiculous.