(Suggestion) The great big Suggestion thread!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celtin, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Celtin

So since I've been in Planetside 2 for six or so years now and the game looks to finally be turning for the better after many pitfalls I think its fair to help out the devs and bring together all the community suggestions in one place. This thread will be that place so feel free to comment a suggestion with supporting details and I'll do my best to compile them all. Other than that the list begins with some stuff I noticed and others on the forums have posted. For the ease of the reader the suggestions will be put into categories to include general, vehicles, infantry and so on.

Suggestions: General
    1. Create an incentive for players to attack the winning faction during lock down alerts
    -Currently the two non-triggering factions still focus on each other the same during alerts most of the time
    - This makes it damn near impossible to defeat the aggressor as people just don't care
    - Possible XP boost vs the winning faction to sway players into attacking?
    2. Better represent the land needed to win an alert after it is started
    - I know the number is 36% but it doesn't say it as far as I can tell
    3. Add some dynamics to the resource system other than 50 nanites every minute
    - The original resource system should be looked at for inspiration, it made bases and resources matter
    - Consider nanites specific to consumables, ground vehicles, and air vehicles or a mix
    - This would be very similar to the original Planetside 2 setup but better executed
    4. Allow spawning at any front line base owned by your faction no matter where you are.
    - Currently have to redeploy three or more times to get to your own base across the map
    5. Overhead displays above players who do large amounts of damage to teammates.
    - This will let everyone know who is guilty and avoid or maybe get revenge on them
    6. Server switch tokens for players who are moving to a new region in real life
    7. The warp-gate capturing mechanics that SOE had planned with battle islands
    - If you have been around here for awhile you know what this is

Suggestions: Vehicles
    1. Increase the nanite cost of harassers to 250-300 as they are to cheap for how effective they are at killing
    - The current price allows players to spam these hard hitting vehicles over and over or swarm with them.
    2. Tank shells hitting an infantry unit directly should kill them
    - This is of course if they are aptly powerful enough to do so and no flak armor or extra shielding is present
    3. Inclusion of faction specific Lightnings and flashes if not even more vehicles
    - This just plays into the character of the game and would help give players pride in their faction

Suggestions: Weapons
    1. Increase the locking radius of lock-on launchers or increase the lock-on speed or both
    - Currently they are next to worthless as you either have to foot chase air all day and pray they stay still or hope a tank wont shoot you as you run up to high five it so your close enough to lock-on
    2. Possible 50-100m increase to engineer AV turret range as it falls short by mere feet on many occasions

Suggestions: Social
    1. Personal message(PM) tab on chat to contain any messages sent directly to you
    - This will ensure you never miss one in the ocean of yell chat and updates
    2. Voice channel dedicated to vehicles as a way for a factions armor to work closer
    - This could be all faction in an area or locked to platoons
  2. Halkesh

General :
    1) Make attacking a base more rewarding and remove cheesy mechanic for defender.
    -Remove the +5/+10/+15% bonus xp for defending a base and give it to attacker.
    -Add non-deploy zone for defender's AMS and make every base's non-deploy zone specific instead a of a standard circle of X meter radius that potentially remove good spots.
    -Add a indestructible corium silo on every permanent bases, the silo have less OP variant of constructions that can be build inside bases to reinforce them. When the base is captured, every construction are destroyed and the silo is captured.
    2) Increase death penalty and make newly spawned soldier more effective
    -Remove fast respawn
    -All spawn except warpgate have a minimum 15 sec timer
    -All spawn room adjacent to enemy territory and AMS have a inner 5 sec timer, independent of players. People spawning are in queue for 1-5 sec. When the spawn timer hit 0, every player in queue spawn at the same time. (resulting of more organised infantry instead of randoms going outside one by one). Effective respawn time is 16-20 sec

Vehicle :
    1) Improve harasser 3rd seat
    -no longer rumble, allow to shot on 360° angle and when the 3rd is killed, he stay on the seat (so he can be revived on the seat).
    -harasser now cost 350 nanites (with the recent changes and that 3rd seat change, it will worth it)

Engineer turret :
    1) Change AV mines so they'll works on fast vehicle
    -When triggered, AV mines now lock ground vehicle like a heat-guided rocket that have 100m/s velocity, dealing maximum damage. Vehicles can use IR smoke to counter AV mines (they won't trigger) Immobile and deployed vehicle can't trigger AV mines.
    2) make AV mana turret worth it
    -now has 180° gun arc, +60° gun elevation and -60° gun depression
    -Now have a default 300m thermal vision scope
    -Auto-spot mechanic removed
    -Fire faster when the engineer stay on the turret
    -If the turret is deploy inside or on a construction wall/bunker/pillbox/tower, the AV mana turret will fuse with said construction. This allow a greater vision when using the turret than currently because of the arrowslit/windows are blocking vision. A turret fuse with a construction will profit of shield and repair modules.
    3) make AI mana turret worth it
    -engineer have a 35% frontal armor while on this turret (it give them 1538/1615 effective HP (without/with auxiliary shield)
    -the turret can be fused inside a construction wall/bunker/pullbox/tower.

Medic :
    Giving them more combat and support specialized option and make regeneration implant less mandatory on the healer class.
    1) Triage also regenerate the medic's health when he's not in a vehicle and outside of combat for 10 sec
    2) Add a few medic applicator
    -Default medic applicator is now a hybrid between combat and support medic. It can be equipped / unequipped faster and restore the shield once the target's health is full
    -Combat dedicated medical tool is integrated inside the medic "healmet", allowing him to keep his weapons in the hands and stay focused on combat at the cost of having a cooldown and a limited range on his medical applicator
    -Support dedicated medical applicator made to improve target durability. Doubled heal rate and can restore shield once health is full. Target take 35% less damage from small weapon headshot. This tool have the longer revive time but it revive the guy at full shield.
  3. Demigan

I like the idea, but I think it would be better to actually reward people for winning from the other forces more.
    If you win as the alert triggering faction, you get a huge reward.
    If you win as the non-triggering faction, you don't get such a huge reward.

Why?

Give the faction that takes the most territory of the triggering faction the alert win, and give them almost as big a reward as the triggering faction upon doing so. This will encourage players to actually start fighting the triggering faction, rather than sit back and say "well, I can farm my XP here and get an ISO bonus anyway or I can move my fight somewhere else for the option of an only slightly bigger reward..."

Yes please.

Oh nooooooeeees don't do that! The "meaningful" resources system meant snowballing of the faction with the largest land. Good luck trying to take back your territory with only half the force multipliers your enemy has simply because he's got the land right now.

If you want to make it meaningful, it has to be indirectly meaningful or only meaningful for a certain area, not the entire map. For example by giving a single base the bottleneck of almost all vehicular forces in the area makes that base important for the area to take. Or adding a local bonus such as extending the autospot range of enemy aircraft within the region (Indar comms for example) or allowing players to spawn vehicles faster at a few bases if a certain group of bases is all under your control.

It's called "redeployside" and it says hellohellohello!! Redeployside is a platoon that uses the "coordination" of "that base is under attack, let's throw +/-48 extra players at it and see what it does to the population". Almost invariably the platoon then outzergs the attackers, takes everything back, wrecks any spawn options and then moves to the next base under attack. It's pretty much the only time a Zerg is used in favor of the defenders, but it's minimalistic teamwork with far too powerful effects. You would expect this much to be possible from a full squad of the top of the top players with full teamcoms and whatnot vs a large group of below average players without coordination, but not from a random bunch of people who are "coordinated" by the exhaustive order of "spawn there, move to point".

Nope, nope, nope.
    I can see it now: I'm sitting in a bottleneck with a tank, holding back the enemy infantry advances. Some allied infantry comes along and thinks "that tank can handle it but I want some piece of that action!". Subsequently people will be hiding behind me while I back up for repairs or jumping in front of my gun.
    Soon after someone who I never even hurt C4r's me ans says "You teamkiller! Preventative action!". While all the "teamkilling" was allied infantry suiciding themselves by jumping beneath my treats/shells. I don't want to be punished for that, and I sure as hell don't want some justice warrior who thinks I'm the badguy blowing me up because some idiot commited suicided on me.

Sure, why not.

Yes, but with some additions like swapping out the continents and what warpgate is the "primary" warpgate, so that for example Hossin isn't the middle-ground continent all the time.
    Also, you need to come up with a solid plan to handle population and primetime/lowtime. You can't have a 3-continent front open during a low-pop time that can hardly fill a single continent, it would mostly depend on who ghost-capped the most during the off-hours who wins each match.

Yes please.

There's no reason they "should". Although I would prefer a system where they can but infantry can make it hard to get hit (smoke, illusions when at range, distortions of player model/position and other vision obstructing methods). But if for the sake of balance of vehicle loadouts and/or infantry vs vehicle balance it's required to make tank shells not OHK, then they shouldn't OHK. There's no reason to make it "but in real-life it would/should!" arguments in PS2.

Although I would love that, I think it would be easier to build upon all NS vehicles and add ES weapons and abilities on top of them. That way you don't have to create entirely new vehicles from scratch but can make each NS vehicle far more than a copy-paste.
    Imagine an NC Lightning with a railgun, VS Lightning with an auto-canon (The Saron and Viper are both auto-canons you could build upon to make one) and the TR Lightning with a type of Vulcan weapon or a high-ROF Viper or something.
    But also imagine their abilities and perhaps performance upgrades: VS allowing their Lightning to perhaps switch to a hover mode, NC adding a rammingmode and engine performance upgrades (can push other vehicles, deals more damage upon ramming, receives less damage upon ramming etc), TR getting access to higher speeds perhaps at cost of maneuverability or something alike etc.

Nope, lock-ons should plain be reworked.
    Example: Missiles are now laser-guided like an AV turret (but less maneuverable than that missile), missiles also have a flak warhead that detonates when within 2m of an enemy aircraft (as opposed to the 8m flak range we have now). The lock-on launcher would get an invisible COF that is active as long as the missile is in-flight, any aircraft caught in the COF will receive a lock-on warning and countermeasures will temporarily stop any missile from following the laser-guidence while the aircraft is within it's COF.

This would be perfect: You have the option for long-range but it simply becomes increasingly harder to pull off and takes longer between missiles as you can't reload while guiding. At close range you can immediately fire your missile without delay. The lack of a super-maneuverable missile means you still have to lead the missile. It's the perfect solution of ease-of-use+skill of the user vs the enemy's ease-of-use+skill of the user.

The problem is that the turret can often fire from ranges where it's hardly rendering with those stats, or the missile stops rendering but can still hit you making retalliation practically impossible.
    Something needs to be done with the AV turret, but I don't think increasing it's range is the answer. Perhaps faster placement and replacement and different firemodes (slower guided and fast unguided) could offer solutions.

Yes please, but first solve the problem of messages not being received. I had an outfit member that was pretty mad because he had been talking to me and he thought I was ignoring all his tips and requests.

Voice-channels are highly overrated for larger scale combat.
    Voice channels work in other games because the groups you talk to are small. Only one person can be giving information to others at a time or it becomes unintelligeable. This means only one person can designate a target, give orders, warn players or update the situational awareness of his buddies at a time and everyone else must shut up. The larger your tank column, the worse this gets. The only solution would be setting up communication similar to actual militaries, which is too exhausting and time consuming for players to learn, maintain and often takes too long to actually work in PS2's short engagements.
    That's why PS2 needs other sources of teamwork mechanics. Like a Q-radial menu for spotted targets and a V-radial menu for designating an area ("request AA here!", "Warning AA here!", "need vehicle support", "need infantry support" etc), the ability to see a dot on your screen with the general whereabouts your gunner or nearby vehicle allies are aiming and that kind of thing. Things that take a litteral button press or two, update the status on-screen for a select group of people that could have relevance with whatever you picked out of the radial menu and doesn't take too much time or effort to understand.
    Additionally, they should update the map. Anything outside of your sphere of detection (where spotted players and vehicles appear individually on your map) the units general whereabouts would be visible. This way you would be able to see your allied tanks moving up and an allied group of infantry or aircraft taking a position. You would also see the total compilation of all spots and auto-detects from your allies in those regions.
    We actually already have something like this in-game: The map hotspots. These indicate where heavy fighting is going on. This updates only once a minute or so but doesn't really need to be updated more often. All it needs is a different and somewhat more accurate visual for the general whereabouts of the units spotted/detected and it would work perfectly for better coordination with others without the need of exhaustive communications.
    • Up x 2
  4. Celtin

Updated List, More will be added in the next post, also how do you edit your original post? Cant find the option anywhere.

1. Create an incentive for players to attack the winning faction during lock down alerts
    -Currently the two non-triggering factions still focus on each other the same during most alerts
    - Possible XP boost when fighting the winning faction equal success reward for stopping the enemy
    4. Overhead displays above players who are weapon locked more than once in thirty 30 minutes
    - This will let everyone know who to avoid on the battlefield or if need be put down
    5. Server switch tokens for players who are moving to a new region in real life
    6. The warp-gate capturing mechanics that SOE had planned with battle islands
    - If you have been around here for awhile you know what this is
    7. Make attacking a base more rewarding and remove cheesy mechanic for defender.
    -Remove the +5/+10/+15% bonus xp for defending a base and give it to attacker.
    -Add non-deploy zone for defender's AMS and make every base's non-deploy zone specific instead a of a standard circle of X meter radius that potentially remove good spots.

1. Increase the nanite cost of harassers to 250-300 as they are to cheap for how effective they are at killing
    - The current price allows players to spam these hard hitting vehicles over and over or swarm with them.
    2. Improve harasser 3rd seat by removing rumble, allow occupant to shoot at larger angle
    3. Tank shells hitting an infantry unit directly should kill them if they are infiltrator or have no extra shielding or armor
    - This is of course if they are aptly powerful enough to do so and no flak armor or extra shielding is present
    4. Inclusion of faction specific Lightnings and flashes if not even more vehicles
    - This just plays into the character of the game and would help give players pride in their faction
    5. More faction specific weapons for all vehicles to include NS vehicles

1. Rework the lock-on missile system as they are now extremely ineffective
    - Possible fly by wire or alternate lock-on mechanics with flak effect for AA
    2. AV Mana turret improvements
    - Increase gun ark to 180 degrees and give better gun depression and elevation
    - Thermal Optics for spotting tanks
    - No more auto-spotting (it doesn't make sens with the effective range changes to have this)
    - Firing modes could include fast and slow guided missiles
    3. AI Mana Turret Improvments
    - Increase shielding for head as most engineers die very fast on these turrets
    - Extremely slight increase accuracy at range
    3. Change AV mines so they'll works on faster vehicles when triggered rather than exploding late and missing
    -Vehicles can use IR smoke to counter AV mines (they won't trigger) Immobile and deployed vehicle can't trigger AV mines.
    4. More faction specific weapons

1. Personal message(PM) tab on chat to contain any messages sent directly to you
    2. Revamp message system to ensure all messages are delivered
  5. LordKrelas

Why exactly is a free Smoke-system able to counter Nanite-costing land-mines allowing them to void entire minefields at will...
    The few Landmines not spotted by EUD, and you can literally roll over them with a smoke-screen that also breaks locks, and obscures?
    Defensive systems be damned?
  6. Celtin

Thats a very good point LordKrelas, it doesnt make sense thinking about it now. I guess we have mine guard for a reason. heres an updated version.

- Currently the two non-triggering factions still focus on each other the same during most alerts
    - Possible XP boost when fighting the winning faction or equal success reward for stopping the enemy
    4. Overhead displays above players who are weapon locked more than once in thirty 30 minutes
    - This will let everyone know who to avoid on the battlefield or if need be put down
    5. Add Server switch tokens for players who are moving to a new region in real life
    6. Institute a form of the warp-gate capturing mechanics that SOE had planned with battle islands
    7. Make attacking and defending a base more rewarding by improving the +5/+10/+15 mechanic
    8. Add non-deploy zone for every base specific to that base instead a of circle X meters big.
    9. Better restricted zones around base spawns as in not a random shape that extends extremely far

2. Revamp message system to ensure all messages are delivered

Suggestions: New Players/Player Retention
    1. More Incentives and hand holding during the initial ten levels for new players
    - Better guidance to an outfit, class dynamics, objectives, and directives to teach them more
    2. In game popups in the top right of the screen that describes concepts and items to the player
    3. Reintroduce the refer a friend system and its rewards for the referrer and friend
    - Players with friends to teach them and extra goodies for joining up are more likely to stay

Suggestions: Player made bases/Hives
    1. Give hives meaning after an alert has started, currently they are worthless unless the trigger faction loses
    - Count each hive as 1 extra land point during the alert thus giving them worth that can be defended or lost

2. Improve harasser 3rd seat by removing rumble, allow occupant to shoot at a larger angle
    3. Inclusion of faction specific Lightnings and flashes if not even more vehicles
    4. More faction specific weapons for all vehicles to include NS vehicles

1. Rework the lock-on missile system as they are now extremely ineffective
    - Possible fly by wire or alternate lock-on mechanics with flak effect for AA
    2. AV Mana turret improvements
    - Increase gun ark to 180 degrees and give better gun depression and elevation
    - Thermal Optics for spotting tanks
    - No more auto-spotting (it doesn't make sense with the effective range changes)
    - Firing modes could include fast and slow guided missiles
    3. AI Mana Turret Improvments
    - Increase shielding for head as most engineers die very fast on these turrets
    - Extremely slight increase accuracy at range
    3. Change AV mines so they'll works on faster vehicles when triggered rather than exploding late and missing
    4. More faction specific weapons