Goodbye Lancer...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ObsidianSoul, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ObsidianSoul

As a tank tickler. ;) It's obvious you haven't used it yet, judging from the confidence with which you attempt to reassure me that everyone else had their launchers nerfed too. LOL. I won't bother rewriting what I wrote already.

Every other thing you wrote I've heard thousands of times already. And they're irrelevant. Devs themselves have admitted the Vulcan and the NC scatmaxes were OP. That is the only thing that matters. Whether they follow through with their promises of balancing them or not, is their prerogative. I've given up on them ever delivering.

This thread is about the Lancer and how it is currently NOT doing the job it is supposed to do, and how this seems to be a recurring theme for the VS on the sole excuse that we win more alerts than you.

It is broken. Period.

Fix it.
  2. LordKrelas

Striker is the same.
    Phoenix is an infantry tickler.

So, your point?
    ES Launchers united in tickling.

OP in what, when their barrels were in the head of the enemy? Only time, a Scatmax is worth a ****, and not a free target is in that kind of range.
    Like you ever been the shotgun max, with a range limited to several meters, with RNG even then?

VS complains that fewer magriders aren't straight-up superior to more numerous tanks.
    VS complains that the directive LMG that has better results than their counterparts, gets touched at all by any changes to their entire weapon class.
    VS complains about Lashers not being a Solo-weapon, yet has issues with TR complaining about theirs being an Assist gun.

VS Complains a lot, even while doing exceedingly better than their counterparts solely on gear.
    • Up x 2
  3. ObsidianSoul

You must be forgetting that to do as much damage as decimators (or any other rocket launcher really), you need to charge them. Lancers do not lock on. Trying to hit a moving harasser is an exercise in patience. As a commenter in the Wiki put it more succinctly regarding the ES launchers:

THAT is why you need a team for it to be really scary. Alone, it wasn't much of a threat. Regardless, I do recognize that its range was a bit OP. But given its numerous drawbacks and its highly situational usability, it was more or less within reason.

Even if it was OP, are you saying that rendering it completely useless, as it is now, is a perfectly reasonable way to deal with that problem? Because that is what happened with the current update.
  4. Lamat

I haven't tried the Lancer after patch, I'll give you that, but when you listed off most of the VS arsenal as inferior you lost a lot of credibility. If you would have just focused on the Lancer performance post patch with less hyperbolic ranting I would have given you the benefit of the doubt that maybe something is wrong with the Lancer now.

The stats starting post patch, and let's say a month from now should give us an idea of what impact the patch had on ES launchers. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Phoenix because I don't like getting sniped, and shooting it from spawn rooms is cheesy.
    • Up x 5
  5. ObsidianSoul

They are. Was any of what I said wrong? Did the ZOE magically become useful again? But yes, they are irrelevant.

Now the Lancer...

Are you perhaps unaware that Lancers also require you to stand still while charging it? We get sniped as much as phoenix users. More even, because unlike you, we can't hide behind rocks or the spawn room. Cheesy or not. Lancers require line of sight. If you can see them, they can see you.

Just try it.

I just hate the fact that the patch notes never mention how badly they nerfed it directly, instead hiding behind wussy words like "some weapons hit beyond render range and scared the poor weedle prowlers badly". It's talking about us. And boy did they nerf us.
  6. LordKrelas

Phoenix requires you to stand still while directing the missile, and prevents all character movements.
    And the Lancer actually can be charged behind cover, or move, it can actually see the enemy opening fire.
    A Lancer can't be walked up to, and knifed to death to the face, without seeing it.

As well, all weapons but the Phoenix itself require LOS to target.
    And even then, the Phoenix has a short range.

Also, every weapon in the AV world was changed.
    Not just the longest Ranged ES Specific at that Lancer.
    • Up x 2
  7. LodeTria

It's range was obscene don't try to down-play it. Couple that with infantry render ranges of 300m and you had an un-counter able mess. If you had trouble hitting any ground vehicle with the Lancer, a previously 800m/s projectile you shouldn't be talking about any balance at all as you're a quite literally missing a fairly large target with the (previously) fastest AV in the entire game. The VS MBT saron has 300m/s, the Fully charge lancer had 800m/s. 800m/s.

Don't try and pretend it wasn't good, it always was.

As for rendering it useless now? No it's no reasonable to do that as many weapons have been. Unfortunately if you've had any experience with SOE/DBG balancing this shouldn't be news to you.
    • Up x 1
  8. ObsidianSoul

For the better. They all reload quicker, fire straighter, lock on faster, have more ammo...

...except the goddamn lancer.
  9. LordKrelas

And with less damage, needing more exposure, and needing that ammo, while letting the targets have more time to repair, and less to repair.
  10. ObsidianSoul

It WAS good. LOL. I said as much. I love the Lancer dearly. It has saved us from many a vehicle zerg stupid enough to approach us through open terrain. But its damage went down with range. Just like everything else. Basically the damage we used to do at max range is now the damage we are doing at optimal range. A scary THUMP but not much else.

Again, the Archer is better than the Lancer now at killing vehicles. Something is very wrong with that equation.
  11. LordKrelas

Archer is likely better than all ES Launchers.

As well, only VS had that ER AV.
    NC had a guided missile that could be shot down, and had short range while not being able to even kill an infantry man.
    TR, has the Proximity-Lock Striker, that pretty much needed entire barrages.
    And for TR, they now need more clips to kill the ESF, while it is a dedicated AA launcher now.

The Phoenix as well took a hit.. and it already had troubles with everything.

Imagine if the Lancer kept the original damage output at the farthest range, but all other AV was reduced in damage, and had shorter ranges.
    Oh look, Superior VS AV if it had.
  12. ObsidianSoul

Yes that. Imagine that multiplied around 3x. And you have the current lancer. LOL. You're still trying to push the "we're all equal" spiel, huh? Still haven't tried it, have you?

I killed several tanks today with the revamped annihilator which performed beautifully even though it did less damage. Guess how the lancer performed?

By all means, nerf the max range, but at least leave us with the same damage as the other launchers on the close to mid-range. How are we supposed to use the lancers now? Point-*******-blank?

Archer is the new lancer. DBG just gave you our faction perk with this update. You're welcome.
  13. LordKrelas

That's for every AV weapon, which has less range than the Lancer.

No, I need more certs for the Lancer, as I changed servers.
    I just recall it.

As well, the Anni is an NS Launcher: Of which, have all been near exclusively better.
    All ES Launcher are on the same field: Vastly less than before.
  14. ObsidianSoul

TRIAL it. No certs needed. And lancers do not need further unlocks. I'm done arguing with people who haven't even tried it and yet confidently telling me I'm imagining things. I have 4 different launchers I use regularly. I can tell the difference, thank you very much. And the Lancer is really now completely useless, while the other 3 are performing better as AV.

I'm off.
  15. LordKrelas

Go Try the Phoenix & Striker then.
    As you are comparing it to an Non-ES Launcher, and going off about how the NS is better..
    NS has always been Better.
    ES Launcher wise, the Lancer has been one of the best.
    • Up x 1
  16. Smoo

Yes, and that reason is: NC is really really bad at teamwork. Some VS got together on a hill and deleted tanks, sometimes. Yet, Some NC never actually thought of getting together behind some cover, and deleting tanks.

Shooting Phoenixes in flight is hard. Shooting down 6 or so Phoenix missiles at once would be nearly impossible. And yet... I have NEVER seen more than one Phoenix at a time. NEVER, in YEARS, have the NC coordinated a volley of missiles that I've heard of.

Strikers can heavily discourage air, unlike Phoenixes, and Lancers are only tolerable at AA.

Phoenixes shoot around cover, unlike all other AV.

Lancers had range. No other advantage.

The fact that TR and NC never actually bothered to coordinate their fire is not a problem with the weapon balancing, it's a problem with the player base. I've seen Strikers used in groups, and it is pretty nasty AA at closer ranges.
    • Up x 1
  17. Insignus

I am proud to say that I was part of the Great Holy War Upon the Lancer.

You were all repeatedly warned that this would happen if one kept abusing it at long range and against aircraft.

You did not listen.

Also, the VS victim complex stuff is not amusing. You were not the only special snowflake faction to get reductions. The Gatekeeper and Vulcan changes are equally as unpopular on the TR, as are the striker changes. The NC are up in arms about the Vanguard shield changes.

Beetlejuice, Saron, and Aphie are still extremely good weapons, by the way.
    • Up x 4
  18. Smoo

Wait, so using a weapon, for it's intended purpose, is abusing it? Are you stupid? Wait, nevermind, you already answered that question, here's your sign.
    • Up x 2
  19. ObsidianSoul

I'm so sorry we were using the weapon as intended. :oops:

[IMG]

Such lancer. Much abuse.
  20. CNR4806

I don't know man, when the game has devolved to the point of "my equipment sucks, the other factions' equipment also suck, but I think theirs suck less than mine", it just isn't fun.