How to appeal Medic to the playerbase?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DIGGSAN0, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JibbaJabba

Why do I feel like I'm the only one running HA without a medkit?

All I ever here is "ermagherd HAs are so OP especially with a medkit". I prefer an Aux shield or C4.
    • Up x 2
  2. DIGGSAN0

I am really happy that this thread survives that long, i really appreciate that!
    I am also pretty sure the devs do read the Forum.

Close 2k People watched this and 100 Comments are pretty rare in the forum these days.
    • Up x 2
  3. Demigan

Yes, Please understand the problem. Because open platoons arent a solution and they dont offer any insight in the problem either.

The reason medics arent used much isnt because you cant teamplay outside of a platoon. Hell even if I'm leading a full platoon as Medic I'll be reviving more randoms than actual platoon members due to the fact that ps2 isnt designed with enough ways to keep groups of players together close enough. The problem is that the Medic's roles arent fun to play.

Imagine that to be able to spawn on a Sunderer, someone has to "operate" it by being near the Sunderer. Sunderer now has someone always protecting it and its one hell of an important teamplayer doing his Job! But hanging around doing virtually nothing for a long time isnt fun. And thats what you are asking Medica to do: drop your weapons, stare at a dead body from close range and wait for him to get up again.

The game needs an easier way to do this. Put the revive tool on your AR and allow people to start revival with a single button, then they just need to stick close and can look around and defend themselves freely. That already helps a ton as a start.
    • Up x 1
  4. DCTH

Give the Assault-Rifles to a second class ... why? Well in my last hours of medic-play i was a bad medic ... i didn't revive, didn't heal ... because i wanted to aurax the ARs. Can't shoot while reviving or healing. Also no revive-greneades because i also don't have the C4-Arx yet.

But other than that .... being a good medic gives you quite a good stream of XP (sometimes for me more than shooting).
  5. TR5L4Y3R

the topic is about making the medicclass more appealing not less .. why should any other class get the assaultrifle?

LA is meant to be a flankingclass and into the face of the enemy, engineers have turrets for range with unlimited ammunition and generally the most tools to choose from fighting whatever they want
    HA´s have their LMG´s even though the least accurate of the weaponclasses make up more than enough with their shields and infills have their version of assaultrifle in the form of scoutrifles with less ammo per mag but lots of reserveammo .. so why exactly? you don´t give out a weapon just for ***** and giggles ..
  6. TR5L4Y3R

rather have a slot for equiping the heal/revivepistol on the second hand with the current primary on the mainhand that way you can still hipfire but not ads ..
    additionaly the pistol should not require line of sight to the target you want to heal/revive and the pistol does so on his own via rightcklick and with priority on reviving .. so similarly to the autoheal ability you just need to be close to the heal/revivetarget but the pistol does that aim on him automaticaly but at a slower rate than you would when focusing on the target with the pistol alone ..
  7. Demigan

I don't think that works very well. AR's benefit a lot from ADS gameplay. Wouldn't it be better if tapping F did an AOE heal and holding F did a revive/heal?
    • Up x 3
  8. Halkesh

Well I've write something like this in the dying thread on my signature.
  9. Recreo

I'm a new player, so pardon my ignorance if this is a ******** suggestion, but wouldn't it be cool if there were a couple ways to play the class?

Like, what if one option were to attach the revive mechanic to your AR, so you're a better all-around class, and another option is to give a slight overheal with the applicator, so if one were so inclined to be a full support, they could? Right now, the heal feels terrible, and it's very rarely worth healing someone when you can just revive them. Contrary to common opinion, some people do like supporting the faction.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

well that´s the point of it .. allow self defense while support .. not offense hence restraining ads ... you would still be able to do what a engineer couldn´t ..
    so you can use both things partialy but have still to commit to either one for full effect ..
    i mean you can already aoe heal while using the assaultrifle but you can´t revive ..
    this let´s you revive while you can´t ads .. seems fair to me ..
    also having to many functions on one button would confuse players ...
    • Up x 1
  11. AxiomExotic

I like medic, its the only class i play when im doing infantry stuff, and its awesome for getting certs. I can make anywhere from 200-300 certs in an hour if i try hard enough wirh it :D
  12. DemonicTreerat

No one is disputing that medics don't generate a lot of certs. Of course so can engineers and Sundy drivers. The problem is that medics are rarely FUN once the "shiny new toy" effect wears off, and unlike other classes we offer nothing truly essential except in very limited circumstances (ie Gal drop point hold with zero Sundy support). Due to that medics, despite that ability to generate certifications, are still at the bottom of the heap when it comes to actively played.

Hence why this thread. Not for people to say "medics are great" or "limit my options because medics should only heal & revive" - its to come up with ideas to make people want to play medics as much as heavy assault, engineer, infiltrator, or light assault.

Oh and Daybreak never listens? How many threads have been calling for some sort of limit on HIVE-generated VPs? Now what is one of the parts of the Critical Mass update that has some people up in arms? A hard cap on VPs earned through HIVEs. I would say that is pretty good proof that they are listening.
  13. RockPlanetSide2

My Medic with Carapace, NightMare 5, and the Piston Shotgun is pretty much the most fun I have had in the game to date... now guaranteed that is like hundreds of dollars to get the implants, but still fun.
  14. Recreo

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but is there a reason I'm overlooking that a slight overheal effect isn't an option? Would make healing less futile, since it'd actually confer a buff onto our allies, though it would definitively sway the class towards supporting more and using the assault rifle less.

Maybe as like a upgrade option?
  15. Sil4ntChaozz

Lay it on really thick portraying them as a almighty white knight who holds the fight together and how glamorous they are complete with a montage with lens flare, explosions, and a theme song?
  16. Demigan

It's an improvement over what we have now, but I don't think it solves the underlying problem: Having to look at your victim all the time and not being able to fight while doing your job, which is boring.

I didn't know you were new so I'm sorry for my tone.

Yes it would be wonderful to play a couple of ways, but I would put those on abilities and things that don't require you to constantly look at your allies or have no guns out.
    For example, that overheal would work wonderful if you made it a temporary AOE boost ability or something. It's easy to activate and boost a bunch of allies in the process. Imagine it giving a flat 250 health or something. If you are damaged it just heals 250 health, if you reach 500 health the leftover health will be added to your maximum healthpool for a short time. So full health people will have a temporary 750 healthpool. Easy, quick, requires some thought on when you activate it and for who and can be fired off without ever missing a shot from your AR, and I think that's what we need.

Maybe remove the ability to swap fire modes (full-auto, burst, single-shot) on weapons with the attachment and make people able to swap between ADS and revive gun. That way you aren't completely dependend on hipfire all the time and you can perform that longer range role AR's are supposed to have over Carbines.

This also means the X button will get more screentime and people can learn to use it, as right now it's practically useless and often people don't even know it's there. Which in time could be used for other stuff as well, say the ability to swap between ADS and an underbarrel attachment maybe...?
  17. TR5L4Y3R

honestly .. i don´t see the point in that ... you may as well just go decrease the overall equiptime on primary, secondary and toolslot for the medic for the same effect .. denying to switch firemode may not realy do anything as you could just equip your primary, switch the firemode to your mainneeds and then switch dual wielding tool + primary to keep the firemode you set before .. even then with most automatic weapons you can compensate for lack of firemodes with simple triggerdiscipline (best example being the NC HA´s gausssaw lmg as it is fullauto only .. the tr´s SABR assaultrifle does´t even have full auto but 2burst or semiauto) ..
    the point of what i am suggesting is allowing quick reaction/adaptation depending on the situation giving more versatility to the medic that way (however at the cost of limited effectiveness than using toolslot or weapon on their own) .. your suggestion again adds clicking more buttons but may as well have set it up so you don´t need it realy afterwards AND yet for the most crucial part (using the revivepistol/attachment whatever) you still deny the medics actual supportrole in the most frantic situations ..
  18. DemonicTreerat

Not that I can imagine. Its certainly more useful than simply attempting to repair damage in a game where most deaths happen in faster than you can change from rifle to med tool. Doesn't even have to be on the weapon - could be rolled into our healing/ shield/ whatever field abilities.
  19. Lord_Avatar

The ASAP part is exactly what makes Medics important. It's the difference between keeping a defending force up on the point instead of having every casualty respawn, jog towards the fight and being mowed down along the way.
  20. Recreo

Our AoE heal ability then, maybe? It has all of those characteristics; doesn't put our rifle away, is aoe, has a decent cooldown attached. Could pop it before an assault to overheal, then it'll eventually recharge to top people off.

Again, I'm glad the forums has experienced users, I don't know a ton about the game yet, I'm just trying to throw ideas out, then more knowledgeable players can argue if it'd be O.K. or not.
    • Up x 1