Only One Continent?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SuperGrover, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Tankalishious

Crying because one is on the underpopped fraction is a hurdle IN THE MIND one , in my eyes, must overcome to be a good player. You have to push through it and find solutions to the challenge at hand.
    Being underpopped is a privilege! It means, more targets to kill and more points/certs in the bank. It means you have to think and evaluate what you want to do, and then find a way to succeed against the odds.
  2. zaspacer

You really need me to give you evidence that Hossin consistently has had lower populations than other Continents? Do you ever look at the different Continent Maps while you are playing?

It literally feels like an insult that you are asking me to gather and present data to prove something that has been shown on the game maps daily and has been the core of a common talking point for years.

"The topic of Hossin comes up often enough to warrant a video about because people don't tend to play there"
    - Wrel
    "Hossin is the least played continent of them all"
    - Wrel
    source:
    What's the deal with Hossin? - Planetside 2 by Wrel

[Wrel] What's the deal with Hossin?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/5l5m7m/wrel_whats_the_deal_with_hossin/

Single continent still hasn't revived Hossin
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/6pv1xj/single_continent_still_hasnt_revived_hossin/

Why nobody play in Hossin ?
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/218230/discussions/0/350544272222060304/

Players are looking for a game experience they enjoy and want to play. We have seen that many players will often choose to join whichever Continent has their Faction in overpop. Your and others trying to convince them to play contrary to what they like to do has not changed this.

Almost nobody is interested in having a miserable time in a game. Making gameplay miserable is a sure way to motivate people to not participate in it. If PS2 Devs wanted players to log in as Faction underpop, they should have changed the game so the experience of playing as Faction underpop was not hated by many players.

I do agree that Imbalanced Fights and Zerging are major problems in PS2. Many players feel this very strongly. In a poll run in late January 2017, "Imbalanced Fights (Zerging)" was voted among the 6 choices as the biggest issue in Planetside 2. It scored 49% of votes, which was 350% more than the second highest scoring choice ("Gameplay Balance") at 14%. This has been a major issue for a long, long time; and it is something that Devs have rarely, barely, and ineffectually addressed.

[IMG]

source:
    http://www.strawpoll.me/12168351/r
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/5pfi4b/biggest_issue_in_planetside_2_poll/
    • Up x 1
  3. DirArtillerySupport

Voting is illegal sir!
  4. zaspacer

"Polling/Petitioning – The creation of petitions or polls are not permitted in Daybreak Games communications channels."
    source: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?help/terms

I referenced an already existing, completed, 6-month-old poll started somewhere else, by someone else. I did not create a poll in Daybreak Games communications channels.
    • Up x 1
  5. CHANCELLOR MARTOK

Another time of logging in to PS2 AND WHAT CONT IS UP///HOSSIN. I will not play on Hossin I dont care what you do to sweeten the pot. The cont has always sucked and just having one cont is drawn by playtime from 7 or 8 hours a day down to next to nothing. Looking for a new FPS to play as it appears the DEVs here have lost there minds.
  6. DirArtillerySupport

Just kidding dude.
    • Up x 2
  7. SpitterSputz

What point are you trying to make? This has nothing to do with variety. I has to do with a map that is specifically NOT fun for a number of play styles.

I just came back after a half a year or so off and decided to look at the forum whilst downloading the updates. Should I log in to find Hossin the only option in PS2 then I will surely partake of the spice of life by seeking entertainment among the variety of Los Santos, Pandora, or the Commonwealth.
  8. LtBomber1

Maybe i get old, but i realy liked the old days:

-No cont locking, play where you want, when you want! -->Yes, Indar and Esamir all the day, but it was fun. Ppl who dont like it could fight at other conts any time...

-No Lattice! --> More freedom, yeah, the zergs ignored each other, but actually you could pick your engagement.

-Meaning of victory: Some Bases were fought at 24/7, because it was FUN to fight there (looking at you, old crown). It was worth loosing everything just to protect THIS base, and some of my most epic fights happend when it was damn hard to capture Indar, or free it again, the battles lasts for days...

-Alerts: Another thing to remeber were cross continental and facility alerts. The pop was spread out, and a lot of smaller fights happend, trying to connect bases, and then the major force striked and in the end clusterfu** was on the menue.

The all the newer changes are made to make things equal. Some bases should be harder to attack than others, and in my eyes still infantry deserves to get hit by 9m splash of a dalton, as they are just cannon fodder, but in the end the most important cannon fodder, a fraction has to split up forces into support units and infantry. Today you "just" need to overpop a base by a gal drop, and its yours, no airforce or tanks can drive you out, jet even thin out infantry hidden in buildings signifcantly.

I have to admit, the playerbase was bigger, and some things changed, but if one asked about my best time in Planetside, i will tell you things above. The old system was not perfect, recource system was flawed (snowballing) new players had huge disadvanteges, etc...

Dont get me wrong, i dont "hate" the newer changes, but they clearly turned away from open world hardcore to a more causal balanced railsystem. The original was far more a war simulator.
    • Up x 2
  9. CapEnTrade

I have had similar reactions.
  10. PlanetBound

People complained about population.
  11. DeadlyOmen

Why have you nominated yourself as the decider of that assertion?
  12. Tattoon

Winning team joining is a lame thing. If ur faction are in a under-pop. Dont join the highest "winning" team. Its not about locking conts, have fun and enjoy shooting stuff. I would rather see one single continent with fewer lattices. Have major and minor bases. But instead of having 3-4 cap points in the major bases. You have one point with 15-20min timer like it was in PS1. And you had to hack it, like infils hack terminals. And it you can improve the hacking timer with certs. Like uncerted hack takes like 45seconds, and decreases by 5s for each cert point.
    Although all classes except MAX can hack.

What drives me nuts in PS2 is the bloody baseflipping. The fights are usually not fun or interesting at all. And either you overpop and win the base in 5min. And the bases are way too close to each other.