[Suggestion] PLANETSIDE 2 IMMERSION : DOORS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shimtimultimedia, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Shimtimultimedia

[IMG]
    DOORS

To Further Increase the immersion factor why not add some functional doors to Auraxis? A simple door could also increase the fun factor in the game because now your platoon would have a more difficult time breaching enemy defenses. It would be really cool if these doors could be controlled from somewhere giving the players the ability to lock and unlock them. Even more cool would be making these doors destructible as well (with enough C4) so you really feel like you are storming the castle.
    • Up x 2
  2. Whiteagle

DOORS ARE FORBIDDEN ON AURAXIS!!!!
    • Up x 1
  3. asmodraxus

I believe that the NS engineering department budget got cut before the doors could be fitted... Something about doors not bringing in the same revenue as guns :p

Reality is simply LAG

Each and every door is an actor which has two states plus animation, you know what else is an actor? players, projectiles and vehicles. Therefore each door increases lag exponentially, now add twenty plus doors to a large base with a 96 vs 96 fight and wonder where all the frames have gone.

Doors in planetside 1 worked as the game was 133 vs 133 vs 133 and it lagged when all the players descended on a single base. Planetside 2 has more players on the server at a time guess what happens when they descend onto a single base, and yes it has happened at least once.
    • Up x 1
  4. Wodan

Doors in PS1 were client side (client triggered and rendered open, told server to open door for others) which lead to people being killed through doors in laggier situations.

For PS2 they removed doors as they could not accept the performance hit of server-side doors (which would often feel lagged/unresponsive and would generate significant server load), nor the client side issue of people shooting you through a door you see as closed.

A pity, but understandable.
    • Up x 2
  5. Lenox

What about the faction-specific barriers? Y'know, like the ones in spawn rooms. They could act as doors and maybe not add lag. Instead of having them tied to a generator, add a panel an infiltrator could hack and make accessible for flanking options in a base. Might be cool.
    • Up x 1
  6. Whiteagle

Yeah, I've always wonder why this wasn't considered...
    I mean, we've got a Base on Hossin where you need to take out a Generator before getting Access to the Point, so why not condense that system down like Heyoka Chemical's Light Bridges for short cuts through Bases?
    • Up x 1
  7. LordKrelas

The issue is, that the spawn room ones you can shoot through, and see through.
    If the doors are anywhere near anything important, like say the panel for it: You'd never get it open \ closed.

That's a nice idea however.

That base is a pain-in-the-***.
    But adds a bit of interesting means to defend; Also Light bridges for the win.
  8. stalkish

Like this?
    [IMG]
    If you wanted into a base in PS1, you had to hack the door.
    Everyone could carry a REK (Remote Electronics Kit) capable of hacking doors.
  9. Metalsheep

Ah ha! Everyone EXCEPT MAX units. This REQUIRED a player with a REK to open an exterior door for a MAX to even enter the base, or get into anywhere critical such as; The Control Room, the Main Generator, or the Spawn Room.

And not every player carried a REK. Some, mostly newbies, would not carry one for space for extra ammo, juice or medkits. So locked doors would stop an ill equipped player cold. Making it impossible for them to get inside the base or anywhere else important.

I would always carry a spare REK in my MAX units backpack so I could toss one on the ground for a nimrod that didn't carry a REK. They could posses one in their pack, but they couldn't equip it.

Everyone should carry a REK and a Jammer grenade!

I always found the excuse "But muh server performance" to be a weak excuse for why things like Combat Engineering and Doors weren't added into PS2. Its been over a decade and somehow you can do LESS than your predecessor back in 2003?
  10. stalkish

I was referring to players not classes (there were no classes) and the requirement to cert into it.
    Everyone could go to the equip term (even MAXs as you pointed out) and grab a basic REK, i said carry not use ;).

But semantics argued i completely agree, lag is a poor excuse for not implementing it.
    But poor as it may be, the current game would not be able to handle it, it cant even handle rendering enemy explosives 5m infront of you if your moving at speed.......it cant rander base turrets that are shooting you......etc etc.

Did you know (not many do) that you could re-hack a door terminal, returning it to your empires ownership and denying the enemy access?
  11. Metalsheep

The game can't even handle weapons firing at over 1000rpm, which is why the MCG has such an underwhelming fire rate even with BRRT.

I did. Higher levels or Hacking not only hacked the door faster, but left them unlocked longer too. But trying to break out and rehack the lock would probably get you killed. Was just better to push the enemy back and let it lock itself 90% of the time. (Radiators were great for this too)
  12. stalkish

Ye, plus you couldnt sit next to the door and re-hack as soon as it hacked due to.....yep you guessed it....lag.
    The door would already be open for them by the time you started re-hacking, and of course anyone inside the door could open it.

I played with a very competent infil (figment) who did manage to re-lock on occasions, but thats the same guy who re-secured an AMP station whilst 50 TR were inside it on multiple occasions lol, so not the norm.
  13. ChUnKiFieR

"C'mon baby lite my fire." That's about all the doors your gonna see in this game!
  14. Lenox

True. Devs could probably make it so no one can shoot those specific barriers, though. Make them have to work to protect a door.

Also yeah, I'm totally recalling PS1.
  15. DIGGSAN0

There is ONE door in Planetside 2 and it is at the Tutorial where you have to crouch under......because it didn't work.
    • Up x 1
  16. DemonicTreerat

That would probably work. Make the fields work both ways for projectiles to prevent the most obvious exploit (people spamming grenades and rockets into the area by hacking point while 100% safe behind the shield) and to hack/ disable would just require the usual "hold E". Since infiltrators have the option to get much faster at holding E they would still be the best option but lack of infiltrators (or at least those who are aware of their ability to hack things) wouldn't stop an advance completely cold. Wouldn't even have to be added to every doorway either. Some buildings (thinking the big ones that hold the gen & point in biolabs) could get only 1 or 2 to help control the flow (or lull the occupants into a false sense of security), some would get none, and others might get them for all doorways to represent their "critical" nature.
  17. Wodan

Of course then there is the other side.

Even if doors were to exist they would serve largely no purpose with the permeable base design as is.
  18. Insignus

No.
  19. DemonicTreerat

Maybe, or maybe they would provide a means to direct the flow of an assault away from the most direct route between spawn point and control point by making the most shortest route take as long as more circumspect routes and making the ones with the best cover take a longer than more exposed ones.