[Guide] NS-45 Pilot short guide and video of gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Iridar51

>>> Posted at Iridar.net <<<

Some conclusions and observations drawn from weapon's stats and ~60 kills worth of stalker gameplay. I'd like to play with it a bit more, but I got up at 2 AM, and the action was already dying down at that point. Plus it was Esamir.

I'll be sure to adjust the article as my familiarity and understanding of the weapon grows.

I'd also would like and take a moment to appreciate the fact that we finally have a real burst weapon in PlanetSide 2. A real burst weapon, devoid of gimmicky pre-fire delay, and not a fake "i'm actually full auto if you spam click or use click macro" burst weapon. But a real one.

It was a long and arduous road, but we've finally reached the end.

Now if only other existing burst ARs and Carbines, as well as burst modes of other weapons would get the similar treatment. I would be soooooo happy.
    • Up x 5
  2. breeje

it looks like i will have some good fun with this new weapon
    well that is until it will be nerfed, yes i think this will get nerfed after some players start crying, and crying they will do

also in the video when you said maxes where not you're thing, nothing feels more satisfying than killing a max as a stalker/infill
    i hunt them all the time as a stalker and they are easier to kill than you think, unless it's a real good max player with lots of experience
  3. TerminalT6

I noticed that it doesn't seem to be included in any directive line. I assume it would go into either the NS Export line or Sidearms line, probably sidearm because it doesn't have a Japanese name.

It seems quite powerful, though. It can kill anyone with a burst of all headshots closer than 20m, though you have to be very quick on the recoil control at that distance.
  4. BartasRS

It's a good panic weapon but it has too little ammo for prolonged, solo stalking. I had a lot of fun with it tho.
  5. DiggsaNo0T

It should have the option to get an Extended magazine with 3 or 6 shots more
    • Up x 1
  6. csvfr

It is overpowered as **** compared to the other guns. Capacity for 4 kills per mag whereas the desperado can only do 3. Seems to be designed this way with intent though, which might keep the nerf hammer away for some time. I thought the NS weapons were supposed to be more niche, not dominant in their class?
  7. Iridar51

What? How did you arrive at these numbers?

Pilot: 200 damage, 12 rounds = 2400 DPM.
    Desperado: 167 damage, 14 rounds = 2338 DPM.

Difference is negligible.

If you mean "kills with 100% headshots" - it is highly unlikely with either weapon.

Realistically, at most, you're gonna get 2 kills with each gun. This is hardly the case to be screaming "erhmagerd devs hate NC".

But if you want to be **** about it, you could switch Desperado into semi auto mode, and get your 4 kills, each with 3 headshots, and you'll have 2 rounds to spare.
  8. csvfr

It might be possible to use semi-auto, but that's not something I'd do in the midst of a firefight as reloading would be a better alternative. Besides 3 Desperado headshots only do 1002 DMG so does not suffice with auxiliary shield or in regeneration fields. Also in the TTK, DPS, clicks-to-kill, Pilot dominates all other sidearms.
  9. csvfr

... in fact as far as I'm aware it is only comparable to an activated power knife, zoomed in sniper rifle, and pump action shotguns + jackhammer among the non-auto infantry weapons, primaries included.
  10. DarkStarAnubis

It is the most powerful sidearm for sure.

The Pilot unloads 12 rounds in approx. 1.4 sec. (taking in account the convoluted burst/phase mechanism) with 1667 dps at 5m - 1192 dps at 30m at max rpm.

The Desperado unloads 14 rounds in approx. 1.7 sec with 1392 dps at 5m - 1099 dps at 30m at max rpm.

IMHO the big difference is the OHK potential with 2/3 headshots: at 5m the Pilot deals 200*2+200*2+200=1100 dmg, but good luck in scoring that with the Pilot's recoil.
  11. The Shady Engineer

Good review, still on the fence about getting the Pilot myself but the review was pretty convincing.

Quick question though, what do you mean by that statement I quoted? Put in a delay between bursts but bump other stats up to compensate or just put in a delay for the hell of it?
  12. JobiWan

Good video. I'm about 80 certs away from being able to get it but I can't wait to try it now. I'll probably trial it tonight.
  13. Daigons

Thank you for putting all the time to make this video possible.
  14. csvfr

200*2+200*2+200=1000 thank you
  15. DarkStarAnubis

Yep you are perfectly right (note to self: must not write emails from the office...)
  16. CNR4806

Are you a prophet?

(I mean yes, this is true about basically anything in PS2, but still)
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Awesome guide and video!
    • Up x 1
  18. Pikachu

:eek:
    • Up x 4
  19. HAXTIME

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  20. Iridar51

I'll copypaste my answer from a similar reddit post:

My issue with burst weapons is that being locked to 2-3 round bursts when it takes ~6 to ~12 hits to kill an enemy doesn't make any sense. When handled properly, a burst weapon shouldn't take more than 2-3 bursts to kill an enemy.

Bursts need to be longer, the recoil during a burst has to be more consistent. Longer bursts will make it easier to avoid oversampling the weapon, and maintain better accuracy during a burst.

The delay I'm talking about doesn't need to be long. Something around 0.1-0.2 seconds would be totally enough.
    If other weapon stats are tuned properly, this delay would let CoF and Recoil to fully recover between bursts, like it happens for Yumi (and doesn't happen for Pilot). This would allow for greater accuracy, and make burst weapons fire in actual bursts.

That would be an excellent buff and fix, in my opinion. It would factually make burst weapons easier to handle for everyone, make them better for ranged combat. And make it easier to maintain optimal DPS without click macros.

Not sure if you aware, but when you click to start firing a burst, you can release the mouse, and start holding it again. This would queue the next burst, and it will start immediately as the first burst is over.

You can do it with current burst weapons, but it would be miles easier if there are longer bursts with burst delay.
    The burst itself can be increased in rate to compensate for lowered RoF, and then we get an excellent burst of DPS (mind the pun). When going for headshots, a burst weapon should be able to kill an enemy within one burst. It would give them a niche in close quarters as well.
    • Up x 1