[Suggestion] Planetside 2 Is In Full Decline! It Really Needs A Content Update!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Tortricat

http://ps2.fisu.pw/online/ There seems to be less people playing all together now, before it would have 1000-1650 people online on Emerald from 7pm-1am Est most days, now it doesn't.

On Steam it has been in a sharp decline and it is at it's lowest point that is has ever been.

http://steamcharts.com/app/218230

I think a great content update wold be for the factions to be forced to all fight on 1 new giant game level like urban warfare or some other new continent map/location and this big battle would take place every week on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Which ever faction wins would get a major cert bonus for the rest of the week until the next battle on another new map.
    • Up x 1
  2. Insignus

No.
  3. zaspacer

I agree PS2 needs a new Content Update. Though I wouldn't advise new content that forced players into playing it. New, creative content is one of the things SOE/DBG does best, and they would do themselves and the game a huge favor by focusing on producing fun and interesting elective New Content that does not warp the existing game/gameplay.

In contrast, SOE/DBG are at some of their worst when they try to rebalance the game. Not only are they slow and bad at it, but they consistently choose to steer the game away from the preferences of the general player. Which speaks to either an out of touch Dev, or one that just doesn't care about the general players or long term population sustaining of the game.

I quit around the start of the year. Thermal nerf and Rocklets for LAs (specifically their ability to kill Sundies much faster with it) were probably to 2 things that finished pushing me out the door. Both are Devs over-designing the game, with a niche user in mind, without really understanding the game's playerbase or the cross-balance of the game's units and ecosystem.

It largely seems that Devs are pushing the game progressively to be one that fewer players like.

I'm not getting much out of that response.
  4. Insignus

Suggestion rejected based upon improper formulation of suggested mechanics ("Forced to Fight on one map/level") centered upon key misunderstandings of core incentive method ("Week long cert boost") unintentionally leading to rewarding of current abusive behaviors ("Zerging"), creating counter-productive second-order impacts ("Population Decline")
    • Up x 1
  5. Pelojian

planetside 2 needs more content, but not more continents. new continents only change the flow of battle providing players with more varied terrain they won't know like the back of their hand for awhile.
  6. Killuminati C

Merge NA servers so the West Coast gets to play against others in the same hemisphere. That might bring some West Coast NA players back...
  7. Eternaloptimist

Well, I would certainly enjoy having more choice of big fights although it is not too hard to find one on the EU servers atm.

As to more content, I'm not sure what that means............we've had construction, new VP system, base redesigns, bunkers, new implants and combined arms, lattice link and terrain changes all incoming. Hossin was a fairly recent addition (you either love it or hate it - and Wrel admits it was not a finished product - I'd give it another look if they revamped it/finished it off).

I do agree that numbers of players have fallen noticeably since I started playing a couple of years ago, although recently I've seen quite a few new starters. Maybe if they advertised a bit more?
    • Up x 1
  8. Pikachu

Been in decline since mid 2013 if not earlier.
    • Up x 2
  9. ObiVanuKenobi

Ded gaem again.
  10. Liewec123

wrel already said they're working on some faction specific stuff :D

i disagree with everyone who says the "woe is me! the game is dead!" spiel, the game is still great,
    big battles every night (unless you get locked to amerish and hossin)

i think they need something like the old Command Center again,
    the devs used to do a weekly stream to talk about the game, what they're working on, and even set up ingame events.

dev silence is never good for the community,
    it was great to have weekly updates and active devs who played the game and interacted with the players.
    i know lots of people disliked him, but i miss the Higby!
    • Up x 2
  11. Pikachu

Command Center once a week. Then once a month. Then replaced by Higby Please once a month. There also used to be Friday Night Live with Luperza and the blonde girl. That disappeared after a year or so.
  12. Tortricat

The population decline is even sharper now, it is at it's lowest point that it has been in the entire planetside 2 population history on Steam, 1705 player on average. I fear this game will die like Planetside 1 did, it might not last another 5 years. I really like this game but it will continue to decline as there is really no new significant content, adding new continents/levels/maps will only divide the population which is why I suggested like a new game level map that is played on every Saturday/Sunday and Monday to add a lot of variety, they could make a set of new levels and there would be a new one ever week, I think it would be great, it would help player population.

Really don't want this game to die, it is the only MMOFPS out there, no other FPS can you play with 1000-1500 people on 1 server for 5-6 hours a day since Emerald usually has 1000-1500 people online for at least 5 hours daily.
  13. LordKrelas

You go from "New continents/levels/maps" will divide the population to suggesting an entire new "game level map" every week for 3 days.
    That's a lovely 180 right there in the same sentence.

Steam also has just the steam users, PS2 has its own client.
    It doesn't need steam to be played - So you're missing a grand bit of data.
    • Up x 1
  14. velie12

If you look at the population graph: http://www.therebelscum.net/world-population/?world_id=0&zoom=5
    you will see that most of the decline has been around may/june and that the population stabilised again after that, also the fact that it is summer might be of influence, but I think the main reason was some changes people didn't like. I expect the population to slightly increase again in the autumn. Something else that caught my attention was that the peaks in the weekends mostly disappeared, I think this is because of summer.

Now about your suggestion to add more content: I don't think thats a good idea, the devs are already doing that btw, as a temporary solution while they're working on a more lasting solution in the meantime. An important reason for overall pop decline over the years is that the game was never finished completely, it still has core issues that are unresolved. Adding more content will only be a temporary solution. In order to increase pop again core issues will need to be adressed.

EDIT: its also appears that the population on PS4 increased lately
  15. ChUnKiFieR

Is this yall's first mmorpg? It's not profitable to keep a team making new maps all the time if the players aren't there. Every game ends this way. And they do all end!
  16. DeadlyOmen

No to maps any more contrived than they already are.

Yes to content.

It appears that the DB strategic vision for this game is to make it easier, not add content.
    • Up x 1