abysmal bad skill balance in this game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by M1RR0R5H4D3, Jun 25, 2017.

1. M1RR0R5H4D3

I am a BR 17 beginner. I apologize in advance for my clumsy english - it's not my native language. This game has severe skill balancing problems. Due to invincible BR 120 veterans, i am suddenly forced to fight without a slightest chance to win ANY engagement, i am already discouraged enough to say, i am up to leave this game soon. EVERY ENEMY i am facing since i had to leave Koltyr is superior equipped, has apparently detailed map knowledge, and finehoned aiming skills like aimbots. The skill/equipment/knowledge gap is SO HUGE, that it's ridiculous that i - as a total beginner - have to fight the best of the best!

As long as i could fight more or less equal skilled and equipped players on Koltyr, everything was totally ok, and i could defend myself pretty well, hit decently with all weapons, outsmart others once in a while, and even turn the tide strategically. However - after i hit the battlefield on the other continents EVERYTHING turned south - totally. There is obviously absolut ZERO skill balancing in this game after Koltyr, so i question:

what is the use of Koltyr, when beginners can't gain more than estimately less than 1500 certs, while they are allowed to fight there? That is an amount of cash, that is ridiculously insufficient to equip even only a single class wholly? Set aside the lack of map knowledge on the other continents, the lack of battle experience, the lack of weapon knowledge, etc. In contrast to that, i suddenly had to fight foes that have most likely ALL of their classes equipped to the possible maximum in various loadouts!!! And moreso - after Koltyr beginners have absolute no chance to gain the same amount of certs per day as before, just because they can't achieve ANY goals/targets and get ANY XP anymore before they get killed INSTANTLY by a vast majority of enemy players, that consists of highly trained veterans, which have insanely overpowered weapons, armour, vehicles and tools, at their disposal, and are superior in ANY aspect.

Seriously - after BR 14 this game suddenly feels lightyears away from fair. It feels like "Slim Jim from next door" fighting vs. "Mike Tyson". It has a reason, why boxers of different weight classes are not paired as contrahents, and NOONE would EVER expect to see a competitive fight (or even just a sparring) between an absolute beginner against a professional world class boxer, right? So - why are totally insufficient equipped noobs like me forced to fight highly trained and perfect equipped veterans against all odds and end up as cannonfodder in an finite loop??? - Do anyone call that fair? - Can anyone imagine this to be fun? - Seriously? ...

Noone "gits gud" by dying before he was able to achieve at least some sort of progress before, noone can buy better equipment this way, and - most important - noone can get the just the slightest bit of satisfaction by loosing all the time against invincible foes. This game desperately needs a better, fairer rank-based gameserver system, where beginners can fight against equal enemies and slowly progress, until they are ready to take the next step and fight better enemies, or it is only a matter of time until it's over, that's easy to see. BR 15 beginners are totally unprepared and not able to close the skill/equipment/knowedge gap between them and veterans. Maybe that was possible once, as long as there were not so many high tier players in this game - however - against such a large number of veterans there is actually no chance left to do that anymore, that is absolutely sure.

Conclusion: low tier beginners vs. high tier professionals is only lousy balance, and certainly not worth playing. Veterans also must be bored of killing subpar foes, too, that cannot compete within the same league. So it's easy to see, that unbalanced gameplay cannot satisfy anyone over time. Since newcomers usually get scared off by unjustly gameplay, playerbases tend to shrink more and more, until there's only a few hundreds of veterans left, that are not enough to fill a single server, so they get switched off eventually. Have seen that several times before. Game over, player one. Bye bye good times...

What a pity - i really enjoyed this game. Was a ton of fun, and i already thought about dropping some money for a fancy camo... ...but now i wouldn't invest a single cent, because it would be just a waste of money...
    • Up x 3
  2. CrimsonEclipse5

It's an MMOFPS.

Having skill or level based matchmade games would completely defeat the point.

Every single veteran player had to go through the same thing as you are right now. We all found it fun enough to continue playing, some of us enough to spend money too.

Don't get too hung up about dying. It happens to everyone.

Try and find a coordinated outfit to help you learn the game.
    • Up x 7
  3. LordKrelas

You started off with Battle-Rank 17, and said "Invincible BR 120's"
    You mean the guys with thousands of days in this game?

They have the same health as you, same damage, same controls, same vehicles, same weaponry.
    They have at best, abilities maxed, more of the weapons accessed, and some implant advantages;
    They even die just as easily when fired upon.

Like do you go into a fight as a level 17, vs a level 34 even in any game, and expect them to not have leveled a few things?
    And unlike those games, The higher level doesn't have better stats; Same health as you.

This isn't an arena shooter.

Playing this game, you fight the new players, the average, the moderates, and the elites.
    If you are expecting that the open world battlefield, is set into clones where only certain BRs fight... wrong game.

You have the capability to kill a 120 as easy as any other solider.
    The only difference, is their experience & skill with the tools provided.
    For abilities, not everyone has theirs ranked up, not that it entirely matters either.

Battle-Rank has no effect on combat capability.
    You can reach it in all truth, by simply grinding or playing long enough.
    The guys on the Score-boards, those are the real ones you should fear if anyone.

Like what did you expect to achieve with this post?
    To have someone "fix" the issue that a BR 17, has any problem with a Battle-Rank 120?

I skipped Koltyr entirely - And never had an issue, killing a sod - BR 120, 5, 74, or any.
    Why? As unlike Koltyr, Live play teaches you something:
    You either learn how to kill, or learn how to survive long enough to kill.
    Otherwise, you simply die: You adapt or Die in short.

The loading screen's "You will die a lot" is a clear hint, Death is a learning experience not a punishment.
    Do not expect to have a "Fair fight" in any game - War itself isn't fair.
    "Fair" Fights do not teach, they simply extend the belief that you don't have to work to get a chance at victory.
    This is a false belief; If you wish to win, out-play your opponent.
    If your weakness, if their strength, use this knowledge, and match your strength to their weakness.
    If they know the map better: Then use this - Let them believe somewhere is safe, and let that belief kill them.
    If they are more accurate: Do not give them the chance to take advantage of that.

Grand Example:
    If you can't win a fight vs a Specific Heavy, since their LMG fire is better than yours hard-core;
    Rocket-Launcher their face in; They die the same as the rest.
    Then move on to the next opponent.

A sniper, doesn't have the ability to shoot through walls.
    Nor affect vehicles.
    Use this knowledge; if you can't win with gunfire - win with that which works.

Skill can never be balanced.
    It isn't a simple concept to balance, nor will it ever be.
    • Up x 5
  4. Pikachu

What weapons are insanely overpowered?

What's your solution? Split the playerbase to separate servers based on battle rank? Split the already way too small playerbase even further? There would have to be nothing but a bunch of Koltyrs.
  5. Rydenan

The problem isn't really equipment. Most guns are side-grades, and a veteran player, given starter equipment, could probably own you just as hard (no offense). You'll never be able to compete with them without putting some time in.

My advice? Stop caring about your KD or how much you die. When you get better at the game, if you care that much, you can always create a new character to "start fresh" with your stats. But until then, live, die, learn. The less you stress about the game, the more fun it is.
    • Up x 3
  6. Azarga

Wrong genre. There is no matchmaking here, nor should there be.

But joining an outfit might be a solution you need - preferably a dominating zergfit of your faction on your server. Steamroll those evil 1337 guys by shear weight of your numbers. It's not an individual skill display, the biggest zerg wins.

Or just play like every other player did before Koltyr became a thing.

Relax, have some fun, c4 some Prowlers (regardless of your faction).
    • Up x 3
  7. DarkStarAnubis

You just discovered Koltyr does not prepare... Aside from that:

1. It is NOT a weapon/equipment/implants issue. Your default weapons are good enough

2. Follow and stay always with other players nearby, you'll die less often (or be revived) and have more time to learn

3. Every time you died it is because you have made a mistake. Think about what you did before respawning

4. You'll die countless times anyway, ignore KDR.
    • Up x 4
  8. Jubikus

1.This one is a yes/no. The default weapons are plenty good but theres lots of things you have to unlock before your no longer strictly at a disadvantage starting with the weapons attachments. Another big one is diversity, adjusting to a number of situations like dealing with air as the biggest offender. The other thing is implants tho they may not be huge they do make a noticeable difference personally i lost most head on bullet exchanges until i got battle hardened the flich simply made me miss too many shots and therefor lose more.

Everything else tho is sound advice.
    KDR is indeed useless a good and bad KDR doesn't mean anything a good KDR could just mean vehicle HE farmer or complete coward that doesn't help the team and on the other hand a terrible KDR could just mean they are spending most their time supporting with medic engineer or Skyguarding, So just ignore it.
  9. LordKrelas

Don't forget starter weapons have some free attachments.
    As well, fresh off the boat, new players can gain implants for completing the first level of class directives, and the one related to base captures etc (I forgot the name of it)
    These can include battle-hardened.

Just to point out, New players aren't totally out of luck on implants & attachments.
  10. Jubikus

Very true and i know the differences can be small but they are still disadvantages the issue is they just compound the already huge disadvantage of the experience gap.
  11. Skraggz

I'm fairly new to this game as well, and enjoy every aspect of it. I like the "open" feel of it, I kill 120 BRs all the time. The game definitely has a learning curve, if you can't take a moment and try and pick up on it you will be smashed in every engagement. Deciding not to pick up on the learning curve and screaming for balance fixes says a lot about this day and age of a gamer.

Also to respond to your shady "I would have spent a bit of money but I dont like this...." Dont its a f2p game, I assure you there are others out there dropping money to support the game.
  12. LordKrelas

Can't make it perfect.
    Skill is something you can't balance.
    As well, they are pretty well off, considering the lack of skill.
    They have more certs as they go, till rank 15, free implants (and certs) from directives, free attachments, lots of allies,
    And the fact, that we all have VR to test all weapons, abilities, vehicles, to their max.
  13. FLHuk

Post what server you are on. Someone can pick you up and run you through some ways to make easy xp.

Things like gun for someone and up that repair tool while learning to look everywhere.
  14. Pelojian

fair fights do teach, numbers may be equal on both sides but skill is not equal. fair fights let newer players live longer then being the victim of overpop and have much more chances to learn positioning and map layouts.

overpop is a partial bypass to skill, the more of you there are over the other faction the easier it is to win if the other side isn't stacked with good and pro players.
    • Up x 1
  15. LordKrelas

What one decides is "Fair" is subject to perception.
    Add in vehicles, longer-ranged-combat, accuracy dependent weaponry, terrain, and you realize:
    What is "Fair" is subjective, and requires a near perfect control over every variable but skill to actually make it "Fair"
    And even then, it won't be "Fair" to someone else.

Overpop of infantry, vs a smaller group in vehicles... is actually pretty fair in some cases.
    Singular Aircraft against an entire base, can be called unfair for both sides, depending on whom is talking.

"Fair" Fights are near magical things.
    As well, they don't win wars.
    You never want a real "Fair" fight, if you actually intended to win; That gives too much to chance.
    As well, for all that teaching that is possible:

In a 'Fair' fight, how often do you think, someone is forced to address terrain differences? Likely zero, as that is an advantage.
    If you don't encounter it, and address it: You never learn to use it, or counter it.

How about vehicles, without a vehicle?
    If it's "Fair", you have a vehicle of equal measure - Why learn how to counter it, without that?
    As you have no option; Which is usually the result of the fight not being "Fair".

You learn more from the 'unfair', from the loss, from the defeats, from the moments where you are forced to adapt than you do, when everything is easily done, and victory is simply a coin toss on which side has more skill applied better.

Overpop, composed of idiots is slaughter material for the enemy.
    Overpop, saturated with the capable; Is a killing machine of those they meet.

But it certainty teaches the importance of addressing numeric imbalance:
    As you can't ignore it, if it's what is killing you, now can you? Sure, but only if you refuse to learn.
    In which case, you certainly won't learn without it being brutal.
    • Up x 1
  16. JobiWan

I would say new players have never had it better. They get a bunch of free stuff such as level 5 flak armour, lots of free certs, attachments etc. Most of those BR120 started out with far less.

I guess it's a bit like life, those with experience have an advantage over those that don't.

I do get where you're coming from though. I've lost count of how many times I've said I hate this game and I'm never playing it again. All I can say is if you enjoy it, keep at it because it's worth it. You'll learn good hiding places, learn when to engage and when to run, how to use a bit of knowledge to give you an edge etc.
    • Up x 4
  17. Kdog559

I was once in the same position as you are at right now.I played lots of FPS games and have knowledge on how to shoot a gun and know how to keep my surrounding in check in case I get jumped from behind.I learn and messed around with the guns in VR training.I joined an outfit that was actually teaching me how to be a great player.I followed the bigger fights because of exp and that is were a lot of lower lvl players will end up at rather than a 12-24 knowing that those are probably more skilled players just trying to resecure a back cap or just a elite squad of players working together to make the resecure of that back cap hard to take back.It's not as bad as you make it seem to be.I have around 4.4k hours on this game already and I still continue to play it faithfully to this day even tho the game does have "problems",But what game does not have problems.If you like the games you play then keep on playing.Just don't give up if you really havent tryed to play it for at least 100 hours.
  18. Daigons

I created an alt last week and with the default gear as a Heavy Assault BR-1, I took out several BR-120s at the first fight that the game drops noobs at.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  19. M1RR0R5H4D3

Wow! ... ... i am speechless! - So many useful replies in reaction to a huge wall of complaints, and not a single stupid "git gud", instead a lot of "heads up"! - Guys, i really appreciate that, and thank you all a lot for your kind words.

I noticed, the essence of your numerous replies was almost up to just the same - that it IS possible to kill a BR 120 with some tricks and stock weaponry - which i agree to, because i managed to kill one or two BR 120s too... That all lead me to think twice about what you stated, and you managed to convince me, i was probably doing something INHERENTLY wrong somehow, most likely without knowing it, so i thought about any similarities my hundreds of deaths could have. I also started a 2nd in-depth research about my favourite class, the infiltrator, which i mained most of the time, and... ( facepalm ) ...found out, i crowned myself the king of fools...

It turned out, that i did a LOT of mistakes in my engagements due to the fact, that i somehow missed a few very important details about that class. First of all, I was totally unaware, that the infiltrator starts with only 900 shield units, compared to the 1000 shield units every other class has, ( set aside the extra shield the HA obviously has ) and i made sure, this stays so, by exchanging the shield capacitor against a pair of claymores... ...another 50 shield units less... :( Furthermore instead of nanomesh armour i used adrenaline pump for maximizing the distance i could run cloaked over open field, this way even increasing the TTK difference between me and my foes, and to top it to something even worse, i only relied on various sidearms like T4 Amp, Magscatter, QCX Hunter, Spiker, etc. because the stalker cloak prohibits the usage of a primary, making my attacks even weaker compared to ( probably ) any primaries my foes could wield... All that summed up together, there's really no wonder, why i failed so many times to survive even backside ambushes - not to speak of accidental frontal attacks, that i always tried to avoid...

...but now comes even one thing, that made me LAUGH FOR A ABOUT A QUARTER OF AN HOUR OVER MYSELF!!! ... you probably won't believe me ... but anyway - here it goes ...

On Koltyr i used the "spot enemy" command a lot, for three reasons:

1. to help my mates and let them know the position of all foes as much as possible...
    2. to get information about the health status of all foes, to decide if to engage, when to engage or whom to engage first or not...
    3. to let mates, that are on route to my position know, there are enemies around, call them for help, synchronise my attack with theirs - that almost always functioned with great success, so i kept that on my "to do-list", convinced, that it is one of the most useful things, a stalker infiltrator can do for his team...

...since noone of my foes ever reacted to my spotting reports, ( hahahaha - almost as stupid as me ) i assumed, that these reports are sent "silently" via radio to my mates only! - ( facepalms again ) Well... ...everytime, i did the same on any other continent, i got INSTANTLY shot down in most cases, with the exception of situations where very noisy conditions covered my spottings. It took me a while to realize that EVERYONE, even my foes can hear me yelling my spotting reports. I could as well have swivelt a red flag over my head, begging for a sudden death! I wasn't aware of the fact, that i reveal my position myself by doing that, so i did it over and over again until it became clear, i was doing something TOTALLY WRONG! Try and error... Jeeeeez... ...i'm a fool...

I also found out another very important fact - that enemies equipped with a darklight can neuter any cloak with ease - even through walls ( wtf !?! - Curse that damn voodoo lamp! ), making any terminal hack or point capture a one-trick-pony, and the whole class itself almost useless and unviable, considering that it has inferior weapons, lesser armor, and it's ability can be countered by almost EVERYONE along the wayside, since the darklight costs a lousy 100 certs, and always fits on the sidearm. I've even faced enemies, that had it on their primary, leaving me not the slightest chance of survival. These bug-hunters usually clean out every room within seconds, before i even can bail out, running like Forrest Gump with burning hairs! Usually an unfriendly taunt followed my death. ;(

Whatever worked pretty well on Koltyr while cloaked, i.e. holding a capture point while watching the foes blasting half their ammo uselessly into the walls, ( raging Vasquez-style ) doesn't function on any other continent anymore, because it's obviously a common "tradition" to have a darklight - at least on the sidearm, rendering a once powerful class a bad joke. This is really sad, because i liked that "cloak and dagger" playstyle. However, it's apparently no longer viable this way. At least when it's about holding a point capture, and especially as long as i have to expect any enemy to have better map knowledge than me, and an awareness like a high-class ultrasonic motion-tracker. I could imagine it's still good for laying traps and murdering single unaware enemies at locations, where they wouldn't expect any foes??? Maybe i should contact CUTEBEAVER and ask for some beginner tips...

Ok guys - long speech, short meaning. I promise to keep on dying ( LOL ), and try to "git gud", regardless how long it takes, because:
    • you managed to make me rethink my obviously twisted view of the game, until i found out the truth - that i was, simply said, totally wrong, and is was my own fault.
    • you are damn right about this game: it is worth it. I can say that, because i nevertheless had a 5H1TL04D of fun with it - at least on Koltyr. Maybe i can adapt to my foes better in the future. Time will tell.

My apologize for all the inconvenience and the time it took for you, to clear my mind, also for the endless walls of text you read by now again. ;) Thanks a lot for giving me back some hope.

Ah - btw... if you want to shoot me personally - i play on COBALT. My nick is M1RR0R5H4D3. Every help is appreciated, and every hint you can give me, is welcome.

See you on the battlefield. HUAR! ;)

M1RR0R5H4D3 - King of Fools...
    • Up x 8
  20. LordKrelas

Just to be clear;
    Infiltrator is a capable class; It simply isn't all that easy in CQC range, unless you can properly ambush.
    Stalkers require ambush in general - Or long-range pistols.
    It needs a lot of patience, understanding of cover, visibility, and knowledge of base lay-out to work best.

(also dark-lights have a limited range, and are inferior to all other attachments - They have them on some sidearms simply to track down stalkers holding up back-caps, or capture times)
    Cloak itself, is camouflage, so it's also visible to some of us without a light; Keep that in mind, since the closer you are, the easier it is.

For nice certs, leave land-mines in high-traffic zones, and use sensor darts & motion sensors.
    If you are feeling clever, use the motion sensors as bait.

Side note:
    What idiot had it on their primary? lmfao...
    That poor bugger is visible to every enemy solider, de-cloaks allied & hostile infils , and costed themselves a proper attachment.