[Suggestion] Forward Spawn: Too Future Fantasy to be Sic-fi

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Armcross, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Armcross

In other word, "Too unbelievable that is brakes my immersion."
    The size of this thing for me is too small for it's logistical need. Currently the one in the spawn room has a size of a cabinet. The other is integrated to Sundies. I wish the one in the sundie don't have infinite use and has possibility to drain it's resources or power.

Suggestion Change:
    Why not Short range faction beacon, you know like in cinematic.
    • Up x 1
  2. DemonicTreerat

Considering we're all soldiers who have died dozens or hundreds (some probably thousands) of times yet respawn within a minute without permanent injury or mental trauma, I would say we're far from reaching the "breaking immersion" point yet. Compared to that, having what amounts to a man-portable one-way matter transmitter for nanites that will be assembled into a body is positively mundane.

So, please, hush. Its nice to FINALLY get getting something new that isn't a weapon. As long as I can have the option of choosing between my regen field, shield beacon, and this field spawn point I'll be a happy medic.
    • Up x 4
  3. Cirena

Nanites.

*sagely nod*
    • Up x 1
  4. BrbImAFK

If I recall correctly from last night's playtest, the forward spawn is a utility option, not an ability option. You'll be choosing between med/resto kits, C4, aux shield and forward spawn.
  5. Demigan

The cabinet/Sunderer version os constantly powered and has incredible ranges at which you can spawn on them, the forward spawn has only 100m range and operates a maximum of 2 minutes. Similar to the deployable turrets the forward spawn is recharged after use. I say thats more than enough reasons to stay into immersion.
    • Up x 2
  6. Deffington

Maybe it has the potential to replace a squad beacon. You know, placing it on roofs and such...
  7. OldMaster80

Honestly I find the forward spawn idea really bad. And yes, it really breaks the immersion.

If devs really think we need improvements in the battle flow they should look intk spawn beacons. They could use improvements in terms of resistance, and they could be open the whole platoon. Or to the whole faction with a fixed number of spawns.

We just need to fix the "exploit" of switching squad leader.
  8. Demigan

Since I think I'm the only one who ever proposed the FS and am quite excited to see it being put in I have to disagree.

The Squad beacon (ab)use has been fixed long ago, unless they for some reason reverted that. The cooldown on the Squad beacon remains if the squadlead is switched out.

The FS also has immense potential. With 2 minutes uptime before it collapses and a cooldown before the Medic can place another one (I thought that was also 2 minutes so it really pushed the frontline), along with the relatively short 100m range make it ideal for use in bases. The area denial on the FS prevents spam and makes them stragetic targets to take down. No longer are attackers screwed if their Sundy is taken out, no longer are defenders forced to constantly use spawnrooms with little to no alternative spawn options. No longer are medics forced to play necromancer all the time and run after everybody. This will be massive boost to teamwork moatly, but also will it shift roles. Currently the Heavy is simply the easiest class. It requires the least skills to operate and is useful in the most common situations. But hunting down FS's and their respective Medics is going to be an Infil and LA Job, and pushing the frontlines+providing alternative spawn options is going to be an important Medic job.

Some players are afraid this will overpower certain tactics, such as using multiple Medics to keep FS's open. But Sunderers are more durable and you only see the area denial when holding an FS so you would need a constant watch on if your FS is still alive. Also FS's on points for example are easy to deal with due to their vulnerability to EMP's, grenade spam and the fact that a single Carbine mag can take one down.
    • Up x 1
  9. OldMaster80

You know what's my concern? This really looks like something that needs to be tested carefully. Changes to battle flow can have huge impact on the game.

And PTS population does not allow a comprehensive test unless devs award a helmet or a decal.

But still this tool doesn't really look like something belonging to Medics :|
  10. LordKrelas

Brutally accurate.

Well, medics having a station that allows short-ranged respawn system for short periods, sounds right & proper.
    Engineers create the defensive bits, Medics create the supportive bits.

Turrets, Barriers, Sentries, Repairs, explosives, Engineers.
    Heal-fields, Shield Restorers, Revives, healing, respawning, Medics.

Sounds right right don't it?
  11. Demigan

Actually, I think the FS was already in the PTS the last time they did a big test, but I can't be sure. Also I think most people going to the PTS already have the helmet and decal...

But why wouldn't this tool belong to Medics? Should it belong to the Engineer again because "it's the utility guy"? Keeping your allies in the fight and supporting the frontlines is what Medics do. What classes could the Forwards Station go to?
    LA? Very mobile, could get anywhere. Could be too annoying to combat and disqualify most classes from countering a FS. Although personally I would probably love it to bits if it got to the LA because I like unique spawnplacements, it wouldn't be good for the overall gameplay.
    Infiltrator? Too easy to get around and place one. Ideal for breaking out of spawnrooms, but too hard to hunt down and permanently destroy the placement.
    Heavy? Oh dear god no, there's already too many of them and if every Heavy can place a quick-return pad any attack would never stop because any destroyed FS+owner would just mean someone else places a new one.
    Engineer? It's got doodads hanging out of his sphincter by now, other classes need some stuff as well. And it would heavily intrude on the role of keeping people alive and pushing.
    The Medic? Well he's the least used class as far as I know right now, and needs a leg-up. The FS would basically do the revival of players but without the need of the Medic to always be within 5m aiming a medgun at them.

Also a little bit of extra information since I just tested it again:
    It's got a giant green godbeam, similar to the one used for the mission system (which uses a giant yellow godbeam), which goes through buildings straight up. So anyone can quickly locate where an FS is placed.

http://imgur.com/a/UG26q
    (uploading pictures seems broken, I tried every single share link on the page and in the share-links page of Imgur but it just won't show here).

Their health has been buffed. It took 55 shots with a 250 damage weapon to kill it, so it's effective health is 13.750 against small-arms. It still takes only 2 frag grenades to take down.
    It's timer is 2 minutes, it's cooldown is also 2 minutes.
    Respawning doesn't reset the cooldown regardless of spawning on the FS or somewhere else.
    Switching classes will instantly despawn the FS but not reset the cooldown. You can spawn on your own pad as another class, at which point it will despawn as you spawn in.
    It's been moved from ability slot to Utility slot, meaning you don't have to sacrifice your regen/shield ability and now have a use for the utility slot outside of C4.