Mining is better EXP than fighting?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Weylin, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Weylin

I got fed up with combat since any of the several dozen things I would try just get hard-countered and leave me feeling like I'm helping the enemy make their stats look prettier and getting nowhere myself, and by the end of the day I'd have maybe 50 certs after several hours of play?

Well, I threw my hands up, jumped into an Ant, and went around mining large cortium deposits and offloading it into silos placed right next to it, or a functioning base if they weren't too far.

1 hour and I had 120 certs. Without membership.
  2. Tankalishious

I net about 200 certs an hour in prime time, doing combat exclusively, no membership.
    I know the game can be harsh on new players but hang in there.
  3. Eternaloptimist

Whatever you like doing best is the right thing to do - it's a game and should be fun.

Couple of thoughts though:
    • killing planetmans in combat is not particularly rewarding cert-wise. Killing vehicles is good for certs (have you thought about running vehicles? Still hard to do but the rewards are bigger when you win)
    • Medics and Engies can get into combat situations (but not quite in line of fire) and concentrate on repair, resupply, healing a rezzing with a bit less exposure to enemy fire. Support offers good xp/cert rewards and you are still a part of the fight.
    The fact is, regardless of how new you are to the game there are many pro players out there with years of experience and it takes time to be able to make an impression on that. I've been playing more than 2 years and my best avatar is BR62 (yeah, I don't play much) and I still get a thrill from actually being able to kill someone higher BR than me in a straight fight.
  4. TR5L4Y3R

just gonna say what i said before: xp, certgains and directives that involve combat should be changed to dmg dealt (like air deterence) than kills
    • Up x 1
  5. FateJH

It'd be difficult to track multibox farming in that case. That'd probably aggravate some players.
    A new sort of accounting mechanism would need to be implemented.
  6. Ziggurat8

Being new sucks for sure. The game has an extremely steep learning curve and not much in the way of tutorials or information. If you're new to the fps genre in general it's downright impossible as there is no matching system so you're thrown to the wolves.

It's like anything though if you want to get better you have to spend time doing what you want to get better at. No one got good at basketball by basket weaving. Certs aren't the be all in this game. Having everything maxed out won't give you much of an advantage. It's not like other games in that sense. I have way more options to use to help me fight enemies because of my 300k certs but it doesn't make me harder to kill in a fight (in most aspects). 2500hrs of PS2 and 20 yrs of playing shooters do that. I hop onto a lvl 20 alt when I'm feeling froggy and don't notice much of a difference (certain elements of the game certs make more of a difference, MAX's need about 3k certs to start feeling really viable for instance).

My suggestion is to get into an outfit that has some decent veterans but doesn't take itself too seriously and learn everything you can from them. Don't try to join an elitist crew and avoid the open invitation zergfits.

The other suggestion I have? Stop blaming everything else. Once you recognize and accept that you're responsible for the things that you do and ultimately what happens, then, and only then, can you start to learn and make progress. As long as it's someone or something else's fault you'll be stuck just how you are. (That's some really really deep **** right there, it took me decades to learn and understand it and it's really hard to accept. Blaming others or the situation is easy)

It takes time. A whole lot of time and lots and lots of dieing to really get "good" at this game. Mining requires very little but it's also exceptionally boring imo. It will get you certs sure but it won't make you better at the game.
    • Up x 1
  7. Boatsniper

I would say that mining is safer XP than straight-up combat. Supplying bases deep in friendly territory can net you some decent experience gain without too much hassle. Plus, base builders love to see random allied ANTs offload Cortium into their silos.
    • Up x 1
  8. Dethonlegs

Vehicle hunting gives the best XP in the game. Learn how to gun a secondary and keep jumping in MBT's until you find someone that knows what they are doing. They will appreciate the help and you will enjoy the XP.
  9. TR5L4Y3R

i don't realy understand what you mean by that
  10. FateJH

One player.
    Three characters online simultaneously, in the same place.
    Two characters belong to the same faction, (1) can be Medic and (2) any class. The third (3) character is from a different faction, can also be any class.
    (3) shoots (2) dead. Experience for (3).
    (1) revives (2). Experience for (1).
    Repeat.
    This generates a message in the chat window and gets added to someone's killboard. If you didn't have to kill somebody to get that experience, however, you would have to suffer that much less evidence of your self-farm.

The setup apparently really boils some people's blood.
  11. KrispyKremes

This so much! Good gunners seem so hard to come by. I constantly request gunners and get no one, people just run bye. but when I get a good one, the fun level hits the roof. Love tanking with a skilled gunner.

Are you on emerald? I'd be more than willing to let you learn to gun with me, I don't really care about KDR, just drive around and have fun blowing stuff up
  12. TR5L4Y3R

ok great now imagine the same setup were 3 doesn't even need to kill 2 as he gets xp just by dmging/hurting 2 and 2 gets healed by one so 1 and 3 both get xp though lower than a kill ...

in a similar fashion replace 1 with an engineer and give him a esf cut 2 entirely and let 3 be a heavy, engineer or LA ... 3 shots at 1's esf were 1 repairs it .. both get exp without the esf being destroyed at all ... ... ...

frankly if people want to exploit the system does't realy stop that ... it just becomes most obvious with directives but when it comes to mere certgain it's still difficult to uncover that exploit
  13. FateJH

Yes, the combinations are all quite exceptional. At the moment, though, it has limited functionality outside of meager experience ticks. OP is recommending that these mentioned setups and more all provide for an indetermine number of kill scores and directive scores.
  14. CNR4806

If anything, non-combat support roles should give better rewards, because most of the time they aren't inherently fun like shooting bad guys.
  15. PlanetBound

Hang out with large groups and go as infil. You can shoot motion detectors, hack terminals. It doesn't pay much but it is low key mostly.
  16. guerrillaman

Just find something you like to do. I've found myself lobbing crossbow bolts into crowded rooms, bouncing betties, and max hunting with my archer. Plenty of things to get xp from. You don't lose any from dying.
  17. Pikachu

Be the guy with repair sunderer.

Be the guy with scout radar in your flash.