Couple of (probably) dumb questions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eternaloptimist, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Eternaloptimist

Firstly, I've noticed that sometimes I collect point control xp when helping to hold a cap point in a contested base but not always. I'm close enough to the point but I don't seem to be able to figure out the other rules. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I made a capture contribution or not, or how many allies are there with me. Can anyone enlighten me? It's really just my curiosity and I've only just paid attention to it because I've noticed I'm close to completing the next level of the objectives directive.

Secondly, as a confirmed infantryman for the last couple of years I am finally toying with going over to the dark side and running a tank. I pull the occasional stock Lightning (just getting the feel of things atm). Any opinions from forumsiders about what would be good to cert into and tips on tactics would be welcome. I don't have a particular view on whether to go for AI or AV and I don't even know if the Lightning is better suited to one or the other. So views/suggestions on one or the other welcome too (I'm guessing there is not really a multi role loadout)

Thanks in advance
    • Up x 1
  2. Morpholine

Control xp ticks only happen when there's a sufficient number of enemies in the hex.

On the lightning, stick with the viper for versatility until you've got a feel for the tank. It's a decent generalist, and probably a better generalist than the HEAT cannon. I recommend stealth and racer, but rival chassis is also good on the Lighting. (At least before some of the handling changes slipped through. I haven't run a lightning as anything other than a Skyguard recently.)
    • Up x 2
  3. Daigons

Have fun with the default Lightning or ask a friend to pull a certed Lightning for you. I personally wouldn't invest any DBG cash, certs or time with the Lightning until they release the Combined Arms update. We just don't know how playable the mech game will be until Daybreak finally releases it.
    • Up x 1
  4. ObiVanuKenobi

Most popular loadouts are racer/rival, fire supp, stealth with AP cannon for AV and racer/rival, fire supp, scout radar (broken right now) with HE for infantry farming. I prefer racer chassis but rival is usable too.
    With a Lightning you always have to watch out for Harassers, don't let them get behind you because tanks take double damage in the rear. Don't try to fight MBTs head on, flank to get behind them or wait for them to engage someone else and then attack.
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

If it wasnt for the upcomming combined arms update I would have suggested AP in a heartbeat. Unless you are farming infantry on level ground or engaging (tank)repaircrews AP is simply the best choice.
    Personally I always equip it with stealth, fire suppression and racer. Scout radar was wonderful when it didnt clash with stealth, but alas they changed it because apparently people didnt use it when it was still a utility. Racer is simply vital for the lightning. You get stabbed in the back, no amount of maneuverability is going to save you. Its plenty maneuverable on its own, but its speed will save you and give you the ability to more quickly travel across dangerous areas, escape enemies or get behind enemies
    • Up x 2
  6. Eternaloptimist

Thanks everyone - that is really helpful :)
  7. SixNineFour

There are many ways to play lightning.

I prefer the NAR over stealth. Lightning has the best NAR of all vehicles but the ESF. But even that is debatable as ESF NAR is unique to others. It synergized well with Fire Suppression System as Fire Suppression also activates NAR.

It works very well with players who constantly keep on the move while tanking circling their targets at high speed and if lightnings get stabilized guns, it should make it even more viable. I know some such players with the same playstyle, but instead prefer side armor. ATM this strategy works well in Esamir. Not so much on other continents.
  8. ListenTourBalls

Sounds like you might like running an anti air lightening with a skyguard. Run your usual infantry then pull that if you see enemy air. You could even save certs by running vanilla with that, but I'd recommend at least fire suppression.
  9. Liewec123

if the current PTR changes are going live then you'll want HE for your tank,
    currently AP is the best but on PTR it is the least attractive option.

so for now i'd advise that you avoid spending your certs on a tank turret and see what happens in the coming weeks!
  10. Danath

I find is quite the opposite, racer will get you ending upside down more often, while rival allows you turn fast enough to avoid rear hits. And IIRC, in the combined arms thingie, they might remove side armor, making it front or rear.
  11. The Rogue Wolf

Also remember that Vehicle Stealth-rigged Harassers- especially Vulcans- love to run up to the back of a Lightning for a quick kill. Rival might give you the chance to turn your tougher armor towards them before it's too late.
  12. Demigan

Well to each his own, playstyle is the most important part for what you should choose based on your preference. My playstyle is stealthy backstabbidy action, which got me a VKPH on the Lightning HE(SH) of 21... Where the average joe gets a VKPH of 6.1 ± 2.5467 (http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/3154/hp=Demigan&ho=0Hhh). Considering that the average AP Lightning player gets 17.8 ± 5.735... I think that it shows the strength of my playstyle and the effect of Racer. If stealthy gameplay is less your thing I still see many reasons to pull Racer, but if that's really not your thing I can understand. I do want to see some footage on how you play with that, where and when it's more useful, because I've not seen situations where it's very good.
  13. DIGGSAN0

There are no dumb questions....

Except No0t's
  14. Eternaloptimist

Funnily enough you just reminded me of something my bowling coach once said - "the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask".

Thanks for that and thanks to everyone for the continuing discussion.

I definitely won't cert into anything until combined arms changes come out. As I haven't evolved a playstyle yet I'll wait to see about racer or rival (remembering also that it is also about the skill of the oppsosition I'll be facing - which will likely be greater than mine for quite a while). Whatever gets me out of trouble fastest is probably the first determingin factor :).
    • Up x 1