Get rid of base building.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ibnuzen, May 19, 2017.

1. Ibnuzen

Base building to influence continent locking has made the game very, very boring. On Connery, the VS have 5-7 bases going at any given time, and the call goes out to start building our own... you can hear the groans in platoon chat and people start logging out. Kudos to the VS who have dozens of people who love this kind of gameplay, but wow, this is some boring stuff.

I came to planetside to play an FPS, but the current metagame of mass base building to lock continents is making every other activity trivial. Winning alerts is even trivial, at least on Connery. You might win the alert, but when the enemy has 6 bases, you still lose.

Belriose5 -CIK
    SalvorHardin6 - TWC
  2. Pat22

You could just kill the VS bases.

In fact, if they have 5-7, you don't actually have a choice to kill VS bases.
    • Up x 4
  3. Tankalishious

1Squad is what it takes, thats all.
    Gal move in with squad, infil hack closest terminal with MBT spawnability.
    4 2/2 MBTs, 2 rep sundies one ammo sundie.
    Roll out, wreck base in a few minutes, rince and repeat.

It takes a few minutes. The fact that you have a lazy playerbase that can't be arsed to do it, nor build own hives isnt VS fault or problem.
    • Up x 6
  4. LordKrelas

I don't support the idea, but this is too funny:
    This assumes the base isn't built in a proper location.
    This assumes base has vehicle terminal, or is anywhere near a vehicle terminal equipped location.
    This then assumes said base is able to be fired at, without automated defenses firing back.
    This also assumes said base lacks any protectors online anywhere on the server.

It takes a single minute to roll in with any defensive forces.
    You don't know Connery VS apparently. Nor any intelligent builders.
  5. Tankalishious

I have 3 toons on connery.

Also, and i am willing to admit its alot of assumes yes, but 95% of bases arent exactly in a hole where you have to drop through a skywall to get to, but rather mediocre bases where taking turrets one by one is easy.
    4 MBTs have no problem focussing down the vehicle turrets in seconds, and anchor prowlers are EXCEPTIONALLY good at this. From there, its a quick farm and often done before anyone can react. Ive seen and performed this task myself many times. Your squad might go boom in the process as you need to roll inn and be quick, but its for a good cause yes?

Intelligent builders? Ive seen plenty of amazing bases. There's allways a weakness, and one of the core design weaknesses is the way turrets are standing up like a beacon of light. You can cross cover firing lanes etc as much as you want from a defencive perspective, there's allways a few weaker turrets onna base.

And really... you can pull an MBT from tons of places in this game. I dont assume the player base has a terminal at all. I assume you can hack and pull from mbt a fixed base... and they are "everywhere"
  6. Liewec123

i won't say remove base building, but i'll agree that passive continent locking needs to go! (continent locking in general sucks!)
    perhaps a radical way to change the purpose of base building would be to remove hives and remove no construct zones,
    basebuilding would then become a viable and powerful way to defend a base from attack.

(obviously have no deploy zones around vehicle spawns though to prevent trolls from building walls)

suddenly the issue of continent locking is gone and base building has a solid purpose.
    imagine being able to build a fortified base around Indar Comm Array? it could become OldCrown 2.0! :D
  7. DeadlyOmen

An excellent example of PS2 Forum mentality.

The bad guy is doing something I don't like. Instead of finding an in-game solution, I call for the removal of what he is doing.

We truly live in the dark ages of gaming.
    • Up x 4
  8. DeadlyOmen

It already is
  9. Tankalishious

This.

And the cause of this is (imo) a generation who's been taught that they are perfect, they can do anything they want and they are never at fault of anything. Add the curling-parents on top, and you get the **** we see today.
    Its allways someone elses fault if one cant master or fix it within minutes....

Gg
    • Up x 1
  10. Liewec123

i disagree, this isn't like someone HE farming from a distance in an anchored prowler,
    this is a game mechanic, and worse, it is a game mechanic that boots everyone from the fun maps during primetime!
    if you wanted to attempt to thwart the game mechanic then you would never win, you'd spend every moment hunting hives.
    even worse, your allies could have all of the cores and be the ones booting everyone from the map.

it is a bad mechanic to let HouseSide 2 lock the continent for everyone.
    • Up x 3
  11. LordKrelas

You have better luck then.
    Every base I've had to attack, has been world-border, In a pit, on a mountain top, with active defenders, reinforcements from the Wild Cards, and few NC insane enough to attack it, rather than defend the Lattice from the rest of the VS surging it.

As well, Prowlers.
    Few things can do what a prowler can.

A single Liberator rolls in, and 4 tanks die.
    The moment the base dies, either said Squad has to build a base capable of stopping an entire 48+ platoon or the VS patiently wait it out, to rebuild it.
    While they gain progress to a VP during the attack, and from the other Hives.

You do realize, that the places these things are built aren't like tank land right?
    Getting the tank is easy, Getting to the base ain't, let alone with AV turrets usually aimed exactly where it must be to fire.
    Let alone if the base is near their own lattice, the aircraft response time is even less, let alone defenders there.

Like I can assume TR has less troubles, but whenever I'm on, Wild Card or the Koreans have an active aircraft mob attacking the lattice & protecting the hives.
    Add in that the longer the siege takes, also adds progress to the VP production.
    And if you don't hit them all at once, it is completely negated by the progress made during the attacks.
    All that need be done is to swarm whatever hive is made, or wait it out; Hives back in, magical lock gets closer.
    As whomever hives first, keeps the lead, unless shutdown for a hell of a long time.

Bases are fine, if they didn't happen to also lock down the bloody map faster than the Lattice does.
    Each Lattice base ain't even a guaranteed VP.
    A single hive can generate enough VPs to lock the map by itself
    - Infinite value of a Hive.
    - No possible loss of VPs from Hives.
    - No progress can be lost.

All it takes is a little bit of aircraft, and sieges are incredibly dead for the attackers.
    Unless you are the aircraft, in which case, a Base can be done with just a Liberator or two rather than a full squad or platoon.
    • Up x 1
  12. DeadlyOmen

It's a tactic. If it's making you and others miserable, then it is doing exactly what the enemy wants.

Live with it, beat it, or quit. I suppose you could beg for mercy on the forums too, but I can't imagine that's anything to be proud of.
  13. Killuminati C

I suggest also making an Emerald alt. That's what I do when the VS have 40% pop and all the hives activated. The other 2 factions can either forfeit several bases in the hopes of attacking a couple heavily fortified and hard to reach hives or just keep fighting on the lattice (which might at least be fun assuming they can find an even pop fight somewhere).
  14. Ibnuzen

Ad hominem attacks appear to be your forum mentality.
  15. Ibnuzen

Yeah, it is making people miserable, which isn't very smart game-design wise. Mind you, the VS have been the dominant faction on Connery the entire existence of this game (and Helios prior to Connery), so losing isn't the problem, we are used to that. It's the passive nature that bugs me. I would like to see bases maybe contribute, but not be the end all of continent locking. As someone else pointed out, the lattice system is irrelevant at this point.
  16. RadarX

We obviously appreciate feedback on base building but making modifications to it that alleviate frustration is more in the direction of what's feasible. This system is going to remain in the game.
    • Up x 10
  17. Ibnuzen

[IMG]
    Amerish alert going on right now. VS have 7 bases. Continent is already decided....
  18. IcEzEbRa

It's almost like there are 2 games going on, lol. I get the construction thing, we are hunters and gatherers...and at nite the colored sky mushrooms, all over, look pretty cool from the sky. And the full effect orbital strike, I still think awesome to behold in game. I've participated in both defense and offense on big constructed bases/hives, platoon strengths +...also ones that are just mano o mano. See ants rolling up to fights, and deploying AA, AI, AV towers and a repair module....or invisible ant rolling up to your mbt with a few deci's in it. You swoop down behind a hill to repair in friendly territory, woops, enemy base you had not yet seen...does not show on mini map unless w/hive, they're just hoping to get one...in the meantime, friendlies ignore them for the most part, because they of no strategic value, and the risk/reward too great. Just chase the ants instead.

Just thinking.....but a way to include construction could be to make each continent about 30% larger, with a no-man's land that has NO lattice links thru to either enemies territory, inserted between where the common unlocked territories are...this xtra land has no bases, actually requiring a base/hive to create the lattice links, perhaps even only one way links, dunno. Perhaps even spread out a few of the congested spots on the maps. On the test server, there are a couple of bases with vehicle cap points, that are practically in the next base. Only after this "latticing" hive is established, can you place a base/hive in enemy territory. And perhaps a Hive placed in enemy territory creates a lattice in enemy territory. Make it more points to lock a continent perhaps.
  19. Ibnuzen

[IMG]
    This is the issue, the metagame is cancer and I'm not saying the devs are to blame, players have figured out how to game the system. This is the current Amerish alert.... it has a long way to go, but it has already been decided by those static bases..... I'm here posting this instead of playing, because why play?
  20. Ibnuzen

That's the thing people keep bringing up in my outfit, they signed up to play an FPS, and the dominant strategy has nothing to do with shooting people.

Constructive ideas, I dunno. Limit # of bases per empire maybe. Maybe decouple bases and VP rewards. Come up with faction bonuses that are meaningful. Like instead of a hive, your base is a munitions factory that gives everyone ammo printer. Stuff like that.
    • Up x 2