Would you perfer continent shrinking instead of continent locking?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pikachu, May 8, 2017.

1. Pikachu

What if playable territories shrank when populations go low instead of locking the continent? A compromise between keeping player density and map diversity. Would you prefer that? Tweaks to lattice would be needed and new home bases determined.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 6
  2. Turekson

I don't know guess not, having huge maps is what I like in PS2. What about single open continent at low pop? At least there would be decent fights in Hossin once in a while.
    • Up x 2
  3. CrimsonEpsilon

I very much like the idea, however I feel like we can take this a step further.

While restricting it to a small area the area should be able to move around. Say the TR captures 70+% of the area, the area behind them would become uncaptureable. Then a new section of the map gets opened up. It would take a bit of tweaking with three factions but it is a workable issue.

Well done for bringing an actual idea to this graveyard.
  4. Armcross

Like in arena mod of some other game?
  5. Pikachu

Yes that is part of the idea. Keep one full size.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

What? Its same just smaller playable area. :confused:
  7. Turekson

Ok that wouldn't be bad at all. Although maybe not restrict the area people can fight in but just the area people will spawn in? This way there wouldn't be need for any artificial boundaries and the fights could roll around freely.
  8. DeadAlive99

An idea I've posted in the past is to take the 4 continents, split them in 3rds, and that would give us a total of 12 continents. The original idea for the game was to have 12 continents, so it would fit that idea nicely and condense the fights.
    • Up x 1
  9. DeadlyOmen

One of the appeals of PS2 is the size, so no.

I am in favor of having only one continent open at a time.
    • Up x 1
  10. Cinnamon

We know that people will actually fight at one base all day with low population unless something happens to move them on. You want crownside back?
  11. toast2250

[IMG]
    http://i.imgur.com/3r5Knw2.jpg

The continent locking feature has decimated the game way over and beyond.
    Why they haven't dealt with this already is beyond me,..
  12. Liewec123

i'd rather they just get rid of continent locking, let us play where we want.
    there could be a problem with the population spreading over 4 maps, but i think the majority of players will still play on one map (probably indar) and the rest who can't fit on indar will probably play on esamir.
    also lets face it, noone plays hossin and amerish is frustrating :D

as toast above said, continent locking has screwed the game up for long enough, it shouldn't have lasted this long,
    it needs to GO.
    • Up x 1
  13. Shadowomega

Nah, if there is enough to lock pop lock one continent but barely enough for a fight on another full size continent, they could always open up a non-lowbie version of Koltyr. The Devs could even go back to Nexus make it slightly larger, add a third warpgate and add a couple new bases and bam another piece of content that has been in the files is suddenly put to good use. For those times when the pop is far to low for 1 full size continent lock it with no owner and push people to the smaller continent. Less coding less mess and more locked away content is used.
  14. LordKrelas

Wouldn't that literally force fights into that spot, so whomever has the pop advantage now has less territory to even worry about defending?
    While the other sides now have an opponent with more people, that doesn't need to spread out allowing them to more effectively out pop both or one opposing side.

Also means, that if any side gets shafted by a 2v1 situation tactical or otherwise, it'll be felt more due to there being less space to work with, and more likely due to being less space to work with.

So everything will be Indar, with the destroyed Crown, and Esmair, the battle for the tech plant.
    As Esmair has some of the ****test bases to defend on the snowy *** wasteland that is a prowler paradise.
    Entire lattice lines have sets of bases that unless the defense overpops, can not even leave the choke point of an exit surrounding the Spawns - And even then is easily farmed into hell.

Add in, that then there is no conquest, no lockdown, Nothing at to aim at.. It'll just be an endless slug match between those damn desert bases in an open field on Indar, till someone nukes the other side of the lattice, or manages the middle without it being suicidal.
    Followed by Esamir drawing too much TR to the Tech plant for no sane reason, dooming those poor bastards on the hell hole that is that desert on Indar, to have a constant Esamir issue.

Then Amerish with the Rolling hills, that some? Oh utterally screwed to have a proper fight, since so many want to walk across a desert plain for #417352 death, The round-about-battle of the Former Crown, Fight at the snowy tech plant or useless bases of Esmair

I despise Hossin unless with a Squad, due to the nature of it, but it has nice bases considering the crap terrain.
    Land mines, Tank mines, and gods knows what else lurking in the massive amounts of water, Trees that grant aircraft the ability to easily evade near anything when it ain't killing the poor bastards with branches.

You can nearly use the footage from a dozen battles for those places, and never tell the difference between the day filmed.
    Other than the map having a different color on what side of the crap - Usually just a repeat of the exact same battle.
    "Lob the cannon shell #736263521" "Repair\Heal" "Move up 5 meters" "Move back 5 meters"
  15. Liewec123

sounds good to me!
    locking the continent is a bad thing to aim for and endless slug match is one of the highlights of the game :)
    huge battles in the desert on indar between the excavation site and the quarry are about the best fights in the game right now,
    and it is absolutely soul destroying when you have a huge epic battle going on there during primetime and the map locks.
  16. Vamperial

I don't think reducing the playable size is the answer. The only reason continent locking has become so game killing is due to how easy it is to mine cortium. Cortium mining should be directly related to bases in some way rather than something that just a few players do deep in enemy territory just to get points to lock a continent.

This is another example of the devs bringing something from Planetside over but leaving it half finished then wondering they are loosing revenue. Lattice in PS1 worked because continents were HUGE and we had over a dozen of them to play on. Continent locking worked because of the same reason and was extremely hard to do.

Remove earning capture points from cortium mining and give it another reason to exist. Make it a fuel for major bases or something. Make it a valuable resource that doesn't ruin the fun for people that choose to ignore it.
    • Up x 1
  17. Pikachu

I made Hossin too.
    [IMG]
  18. UberNoob1337101

A similar effect could be achieved easily by making the current continent locking good. Currently it's out-of-nowhere, too fast, has no memorable climax and ending and it's pretty damn annoying and obnoxious. Now when I think about it, sounds exactly like my sex lif-

Shrinking IMO kind of doesn't fit in the current game,
    I'd much rather just remove HIVEs completely or give them a different function to change lattice links on the map or make bases untakeable unless the HIVE gets destroyed. Currently they're only obnoxious and grant an I-win for the person that spams them while managing to break map flow, and instead I'd much rather see the construction system integrated into the game instead of being this side activity mostly used for cert farming. Then either implement the old system where the winner was determined by alerts. Or let us capture warpgates. Or intercontinental lattice. Or a huge battle to determine the fate of the continent. Or anything remotely memorable, interesting and fun.
    • Up x 1
  19. LordKrelas

Not everyone wants to simply fire at a target in the desert, never achieving ****.
    Nor have a battle that is identical every single time, where everything is fire at a distant target, die, and repeat with no progress ever made.
  20. Liewec123

then don't go to that location?
    i find during my play nights that i'll end up in every situation, indoor fights, outdoor fights, i'll pull air i'll pull tanks i'll play infantry.

if you're unhappy in a certain fight there is no reason for you to stay there lol :D