Are YOU being toxic?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BeerAndFries, May 3, 2017.

1. BeerAndFries

This is a post about the community behaviour, more so than about the game. Some people might get offended by what I will say, but I hope they can get through it and find the meaning behind the words.

With that being said, I find a lot of people engaging in extremely toxic behaviour on the forums, Reddit etc.. Nothing new, since this IS the internet and people are prone to overreacting over things they feel entitled to, but I feel like I should speak out against it.

If you are writing about how devs are incompetent idiots trying their best to make this game unplayable, then you are being unreasonable and it makes you look like a child. I especially find it disgusting how people are offending Wrel, since he is one the of few (if not only) publicy known developers and it makes it easy to turn him into a scapegoat. I suspect he does not even have all that much influence over what is being done.

Moving on. None of us is entitled to anything here - this is a product we are (or not, since it is F2P) paying for - this is not a family business, not a real community, it is only a product, the devs do not owe us anything. Of course you can provide feedback if you find it lacking and ask for improvements, this is even desirable. But getting emotional and posting multiple rants about how you think things should work and then getting angry things are not done the way YOU want to? Not all of us here may be adults, but let us try to act like them. If a service is below your expectations and you see no chance of it improving, just move on. Spare people your emotional outbursts - you may feel a bit better, but you are not doing anyone any real good.

In other words, get your **** together people. Provide constructive feedback and DO NOT OFFEND THE DEVELOPERS OR PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH YOU (yeah I know I just did that, but this will be a singular instance, I promise). Please. These are people who are either just doing their jobs or want the game improved just as you do.
    • Up x 4
  2. Hegeteus

I don't think this forum is being particularly toxic and if anything here is an overreaction, it is this thread in my opinion. This also isn't the right place to address community or devs since it's kind of lacking both(compared to reddit anyway)
    • Up x 3
  3. LaughingDead

I try not to, but when the devs bias the entire game towards one area, I get salty. It's incredibly annoying seeing what started out as a cool game with vehicles infantry combat mixed, and then literally every patch is a "rebalancing" of vehicles and nerfing vehicles. When the hypocrisy of discuss it on the forums to get the word out and then the exact opposite happens because reddit is where you're supposed to talk instead, makes me feel like Mr. oblong in that one scene with the "suggestion box".

And then they add more **** to infantry when vehicles have been stale for years. That's always nice.
  4. csvfr

Critique is something grownups should be able to deal with keeping an open-mind. Besides, many of the changes can be interpreted as a "go * yourself", so similar responses does not strike me as unnatural at all.
  5. DIGGSAN0

Well...i was not born Toxic...the Developers of this game made me what I am today...

I have no evidence from the devs that they are listening to the community (best example are the Test server changes).

I suggested so many ideas...i reported bugfixes via their own Bug Report side and i do not see any of them fixed...

I say the devs deserve that kind of behavior...not only from me.

You reap what you seed.
  6. Direlithe

I think some negativity is justified, like people spending money and getting their in-game items taken away. Other than that, I agree with you for the most part. A certain PS2 subbreddit is practically a toxic cesspool equivalent to 4chan, and I find this particular forum quite tame, welcoming even, in comparison.
  7. Liewec123

i can see why people do feel frustrated and vent their frustration in angry rant posts.

for example, the community was wholeheartedly against several implants going live,
    we hopped on the PTS to help test them out, i even left a full page of constructive feedback reviewing every single implant.
    did the devs listen to us for a single second? hahaha.

and the direction the game is going, defending is getting nerfed and nerfed every patch we're already in an unfun state of everyone simply zergballing over under-defended bases because defending has become so impractical and so unfun.
    what are the devs doing? giving the zerg the ability to spawn inside of your base and removing the defenders ability to pre-deploy sunderers near capture points before the zerg arrives.
    i've made a lengthy PTS post about this issue too,
    i expect it to receive just as much dev attention as post i made after wasting a good few hours testing implants...
    it disheartens me from wasting any more time testing and posting when they don't seem to give a damn about our opinion.

tl;dr
    lack of visible game direct, lack of communication, lack of listening to the customers wishes,
    these are all responsible for the toxicity.
    i pointed out recently that our "community relations" guy RadarX has barely posted anything that wasn't "i'm closing this thread" or patchnotes in EIGHT MONTHS.
    • Up x 1
  8. Daigons

Hey you forgot one. Players who refuse to use their Shift keys with their forum responses.
  9. Eternaloptimist

Very few people get up in the morning and think, "things are going very well and I am so happy - I must tell someone". Whereas complainants want to be heard.

I still see some abusive posts and responses but nothing compared to the old PS4 forum :). I used to read that for laughs.
  10. BeerAndFries

Well I only posted here since these forums have no off-topic or otherwise better suited section. I also uderstand that I may be guilty of things I accuse other people of, I was just hoping to pinpoint that a lot of people just blow of their steam instead of being constructive. This helps nobody.
  11. OldMaster80

I'm not toxic: I love you all like a shiny minipony.

This does not mean I like the direction the game is taking. Some changes make very little sense and I fear this going to disappoint the community, so the player base will drop again.

I hate to be negative but this smells like a new Star Wars Galaxies Combat Upgrade.
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

or players who use a fullstop/period, when they should have used a comma. ;)
    if you're going to be a picky %$^&, you'd best make damn sure you haven't made a mistake! :D
    (i've deliberately made sure not to use any caps this time, just for you! :))

i also find it oddly satisfying that you choose to be a grammar nazl on a thread about toxicity XD
  13. Niamar

I have been very toxic in regards to the changes, the money grabs and nerfs related to them, and the acceptance of cheaters by dbg.

I have spent thousands of dollars on their games, they are ******** the bed, I have a right to complain.
  14. Exitus Acta Probat

**** You!
  15. Zagareth

Did you ever realize, that adults aint any better than childs? And to be honest, 99% of the mankind are stupid idiots with an IQ less than a buttered bread, so what do you expect?
    And to set a cherry on the top the one with least IQ got elected to the "most twittering and most foolished behaving" leader of the western hemisphere, driving the world directly to hell.

... what do you expect ... ?
  16. BeerAndFries

I was not expecting anything, to be honest, all I do is the thing I consider to be right. I get that people are angry, I get they may not like the changes that are being proposed, but overall, we still should condemn personal attacks on other people, developers or not. Even if you paid a lot for this game, it is not like these devs will go back in time and take the fun you already had away from you. You have received your money's worth already, well unless you bought a year of subscribtion in advance, but is not there a refund (asking here, since I have never tried that)?

I do not presume to forbid anyone to complain or propose solutions to things they consider a problem, all I ask is to keep things civil. Remember that there are people on the receiving end and ******** over them will not help things.
  17. Shocky

Yeah easier said then done. IF there was a PR guy or community manager then that would help mitigated some of the toxicity or at least deflect that toxicity off of the devs and on to them. but that isn't the case as our community lead is no where to be found as mentioned before, they don't listen to us at all or make it known that they actually listen to us.

BTW saying you listen means jack **** to me because there is no proof that you are or aren't. listening doesn't mean your going to do anything about the information you get all it means is "hey we know what you are saying but don't care cause we are going to re-balance the game anyways" how about you show us that you listen by reading out **** in a video or doing a blog post where you quote us and respond. don't just say you are listening! that means nothing!

the toxicity grows when they repeat the past failures of older DEAD games! Treating your community like **** and not responding cause you think they are overreacting or acting like children doesn't help and increases how volatile the community gets. on top of that, we aren't told **** until its on PTS not when its in the early stages of development, no when its on PTS for final tweaking.

hey talk to us more tell us what is happening don't shut the communication down cause you don't like how we are acting, don't pull this crap "they players don't know what they want, they have to be told what they want!" most of us are individual people who know what we like and dislike and what the Daybreak is doing most of us dislike. but hey what do we know its not like we play the damn game. sarcasm: oh yeah the Devs who log on for an 5 mins to test some on their own internal Dev server yes they know best for the game as a whole.

more sarcasm: why haven't they removed vehicles and made everything a one hit kill, but only a one hit kill on everyone else not me i should get 5 his before i die.
  18. dreyone

The basic modus operandi of the daybreak shills and troglodytes who troll this forum is that "anyone who complains about the game or the company must be wrong and an unskilled noob, lmao get rekt 360noscope mlg uwotm8"

fite me irl
  19. CNR4806

Most of the people I see accusing dev incompetence are saying they're trying to improve the game, but failing spectacularly for various reasons, including having zero grasp of player meta and what players actually want from the game.
  20. DarkStarAnubis

Ok.... So you guess that what "they" guess is wrong and you guess that "your" guess is right (*) :) ?

(a) If the suggestions that those people (players as well :)) are not implemented by the devs how do you know they "fail spectacularly"?

(b) how do you know that those people (players as well :)) do not know "what players actually want from the game"?

(*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies