The Tanto is worthless

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, May 2, 2017.

1. UberNoob1337101

It's such a terrible carbine. It's DPS is terrible, it's accuracy is decent at best, it's hip-fire past 3 shots is godawful, your average MSW-R/Orion user out-DPSes you and can tank more damage, unless your opponents are bad you can't get kills or close to killing your target with this gun. The lone saving grace is that this gun has 300 ammo total, so it's at least better at farming than other weapons.

How do you even use it? I thought I'd like it, but it' so all-around terrible that just getting to 160 kills, let alone 1160 will be a very frustrating experience. Tips pls?
  2. Sazukata

Haven't tried it in live play, but in my eyes it's clearly meant for the long-lasting LA who likes to stay airborne and can get headshots.

Soooo, super niche. I'll have do more testing to see if I like it more than the NS-11C.
  3. Tankalishious

Its a certified headshot-machine. Ask any high K/D Light assault out there.
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

Nope, not airborne. The COF increase is so insane if you don't ADS that you'll have more chance throwing a Frag grenade and in the middle of a firefight and killing them with it before they kill you. Although I've had success hanging in the corner of a building with Drifters and falling down on people, then using CQC to compensate for the immense COF.

I just auraxed it, and it's basically a long-range carbine that requires more effort to use. You'll get more hits at range, but due to the appalling damage you actually need to get those hits in. It's best for flanking operations. If you get in the right position you can get some long-range shots at enemies stationary in cover (recovering shields and such) and murder them quickly. Just make sure you stay mobile. It's also nice for across-a-roof combat, where enemy LA's pop up on the other end of a roof and you can use the long range to your advantage against the overall short-range arsenal of the LA.
    • Up x 1
  5. Pat22

I'll admit I only briefly played with it in VR but I have trouble thinking of any reasons anyone would use it over a burst carbine.
  6. Sazukata

Ah, good to know. I was under the impression that it's redeeming quality was the good hip-fire accuracy in short bursts, making a good airborne weapon due to the way carbines function for LAs. Guess I should've done more testing before giving input.

Just compared in VR, and you're right. The airborne CoF is no better than an NS-11C with a laser sight (I thought the Tanto had that perfect starting CoF mid-air). If anything it was worse due to the amount of time letting it reset vs. shooting. The ADS CoF was definitely something though, the great hit consistency made up for the low DPS.

Wish I was sitting on enough certs to try these things live, but oh well. I'll get to it eventually if the game sticks around.
  7. Rydenan

Hipfire + ADAD + burstfire headshots = win, in my experience. No other gun can reliably chain headshots while hipfiring.
  8. Liewec123

this^
    its like the tomoe, with burst control and headshots it is a monster.
    my main complaint is that its gimmick of pinpoint accurate starting crosshair doesn't work with jumpjets, i could see it being amazing for aerial fighting LAs (which i've been doing more often with icarus and bandit)
    • Up x 1
  9. NubCannon

I've been running it in a very specific loadout for farming
    Tanto+suppressor+darklight+HVA+1x red dot (i only have darklight cause forward grip was pretty useless, and dont need the extra ammo for the work i do)
    Drifter jets

I've found its very effective at farming infiltrators. with white tracers, HVA and Suppressor still making halfway decent velocity, getting above infiltrators who are sniping is guaranteed farm. Most infiltrators in this game don't check behind them, or look at the minimap (suppressor is for the medics and other LAs/HAs whatever else be in the area though engineers have the same tendency to be oblivious)
    Places such as on the legs of biolabs, ontop of towers, and other places infiltrators tend to snipe for long periods of time without changing can grant massive killstreaks... the only difficulty is knowing when to and when not to go for a kill.

The implants i've found most effective with this loadout are ammo printer and regen (ammo printer is mostly for the rocklet rifle which i use for finishing vehicles at andvardi biolab when they retreat to repair) (regen is useful if you're running c4, which i do for sundies and MBTs) other effective options may be minor cloak and catlike (gotta love catlike) or any combination. But yeah the tanto is very lacking in a 1V1 duel type situation, but its a good farm weapon. Just remember to always finish the kill you started or when you don't finish the kill, change locations.
    Never trust a fart
  10. Sanguinary

Short bursts, aim for the head, stay mobile.

It has perfect CoF while moving for the first shot but low RoF and the damage tier is average, if you're not moving while shooting you're doing something wrong.

Hipfire is powerful in some situations but the increased bloom results in you losing a lot of the DPS if you aren't landing headshots while doing it, or the necessity to burst cutting your rate of fire, again, losing DPS.

Workable in CQC due to mobility and being able to leverage slightly longer bursts but shines more so around mid ranges, it's actually a fun and pretty solid option in the right hands. Closest counter-part would the the 11C.