PS2 makes me feel like I need Anger Management

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MichaelMoen, Apr 25, 2017.

1. MichaelMoen

As a Game, just as a Game, I love Planetside. I've sunk over 1,000 hours into it spanning years which is the most played game in my Steam Library by FAR. But after being away for quite a long while due to me getting into Elder Scrolls Online and other games here and there, I've been reminded of the one thing that's oddly been associated only with this game and no other Multiplayer experience. I become Infuriated.

PS2 is all about teamwork and cooperation as squads and platoons, it's not meant to give everything to the lone wolf right? ...right? On the contrary, 98% of the time I find myself being continuously wrecked by lone wolves. Be it a single Mosquito roaming deep behind the lines because apparently playing the objective is too boring and needs to hunt down people casually driving along, or that one person who is capping your base by themselves and their weapon just seemingly fires faster than yours, hits harder than yours, or just never misses at all, not to mention your shields and health just vanish and then you see in the report you only got a quarter of their shields. And after an hour of this I see that my k/d ratio is appalling.

My reason for this no doubt pointless rant was my fruitless, futile effort to even just damage, much less destroy this Hive on Esamir. Guarded by two. They even abandoned it several times to push toward our Warpgate, but whenever I got near they redeployed back and stopped me effortlessly, as well as others who tried. They knew exactly where I was going to be, they knew what I was coming in one attempt the person saw me drive away in my damaged Sundy, and when I came back later in a Lib, he was waiting in a Skyguard. Bashing my head against a seemingly unstoppable player, no one else bothering to take notice and try and help. The logical conclusion would be to just give up and go somewhere else on the map right? That's not the point. This shouldn't feel impossible. Something is terribly off and it all leads to the same feeling I always end up with after playing a few hours of this game. Furious. This is the only game that does it too! Something I enjoy greatly always ends up infuriating me with how impossible it is to succeed. Over 1,000 hours played and y'know I'm still only a BR89. I'm sure most have capped out in half that time.

And I don't know what I'm hoping to achieve with this rant. Solidarity with others feeling similarly? Words of wisdom or advice or tips on better gaming? Or perhaps just one or two coming in here to tell me to stop my whining and Git Gud.

tl;dr I want to believe I'm good, but I most likely still just suck at this game and I'm an incredibly salty loser.
  2. ColonelChingles

If you are playing as a squad or a platoon, then lone wolves should be fairly easy. Even if he's much better than you individually, his chances of survival are slim if you have 2-3 other people with you.

As infantry, stick with your buddies. Don't be the first through the door. Fan out quickly so each of you can fire at the single target. Even if you die, chances are your Medics will pick you back up. I believe that if you are revived then your K/D is unaffected.

If you're driving in a vehicle, most vehicles have some type of weapon that can deal with ESFs. Probably not kill them, but to at least make them pick a softer target. In addition if you are playing as a squad, then you should have multiple vehicles that should make short work of an ESF or at least drive it off.

So play as a team. If your squad/platoon is so disorganised that Medics aren't reviving people or that vehicles aren't driving in a convoy, then just find a better squad/platoon.
    • Up x 1
  3. AllRoundGoodGuy

Let your frustration flow.....

JOIN the RANTSIDE
  4. MurgNC

I wouldnt worry about KDR too much. At best it's a benchmark to measure yourself against. Otherwise, you can just completely ignore it. IMHO, it's far better to get killed a bunch of times helping your faction cap a base than to be some ESF pilot that farms hapless infantry all day but never contributes anything to his faction.

As far as attacking that base. If a base is well constructed and guarded by just one or two veteran players then trying to take it out yourself was probably a suicide mission. The base buildings are a force multiplier; even a small number of defenders can hold back a larger force.

On the bright side, Planetside helps people let off steam.
  5. Liewec123

yep, thats planetside!

dying through the walls 2 seconds after you got behind cover.
    dying in the blink of an eye seemingly to 3 shots from a 143 damage weapon with bullets that look like they're flying everywhere except at you.

welcome back! :D
  6. The Rogue Wolf

Hang on, hang on, hang on. You open with the premise that the game is built around cooperation, teamwork, having allies... and then complain about situations where one or two guys are wrecking you.

Where are your teammates? Why are they not wrecking these lone wolves?
  7. Littleman

I installed the game about 3 days ago to see if it was worth coming back.

3 days later, after logging off again not feeling like I had a good time, feeling like my bullets weren't doing damage half the time, while the enemy seemingly can't miss my head even when they try as I'm zig zagging like a maniac some good distance away, and, despite being at the back of a running murder herd, get picked out by snipers all the damn time, I just uninstalled the game.

It's a lesson in frustration and horrific game design by the totally incompetent development leads of the time. Finally, I could be around corner longer in PS2 and still die than I ever did in PS1, and PS1 had full on CSHD with a slower tick rate in an era where dial-up was still very prevalent in house holds.

I do get worked up when I'm doing poorly in a game, any game, I rage, I'll admit. Planetside 2 takes the least time and makes me rage the hardest, part because of idiot team mates (I'd honestly prefer AI) and part because systems are so shaky I feel no amount of skill will overcome the fact that it takes me twice a many rounds to drop a stationary target at 20m and not even looking in my direction than those VR dummies at 80m. I'm sorry, but when I shoot something, it needs to die. If it ain't, too often, the game isn't worth my time.
  8. MichaelMoen

The frustrating part of it is I first came across that Hive when it was just a Generator inside a Garage under a Skyshield. No defenses whatsoever other than that skyshield and a shielded garage. I was having a bit of trouble keeping my ESF at the right angle to pick off the Skyshield module when the two deployed and forced me to back off, then the turrets and such started deploying and it went downhill from there fast. A neat little Zerg couldn't finished the base off quickly, but for some reason Esamir was empty and at most three of us tried to get the Hive. Failed miserably multiple times while simultaneously losing outposts.

It was very low pop on Esamir this morning and I'm not a part of an Outfit nor do I have friends to play with. Yeah Ironic, I complain about unstoppable Lone Wolves while being one myself. Minus the unstoppable part. I would love to be a part of an Outfit, but most require you to be registered with some online group and play the game on a regular schedule to stay included.
  9. OldMaster80

Planetside lost this path eons ago. Today a lone wolf can flip control consoles and capture entire bases without help. One doesn't even need to remain the same hex.
    Vehicles are soloable, even the multi-passenger ones, there is redeploy so transport is not needed, while medikit spam makes people very self sufficient. The new implant gives free ammo so need for Engineers.

Spam force multipliers, grind your directives, farm KDR, and don't care about VP, about the map, about strategy or teamwork. This is Planetside.
  10. PlanetBound

If whatever you were doing didn't work, try something else.
  11. MichaelMoen

And then there's the lovely little moment I just had with a Vanu that almost got me after forcing me into a crash landing. I was hiding up on some rocks and he made the mistake of getting out of his skyguard to get me. I jumped down, Mined his Lightning and then saw him, we exchanged fire and I got him first. The following messages were nice.

Vanu: "Nice aimbotting" (or something like that)
    Me: "It's called aiming down the sights."
    Vanu: "what a mentally challenged answer"
    Me: "If I were cheating I'd have obliterated you with my Reaver" (which he rekt and I managed to survive a crash landing)
    Vanu: "your replies have only proven you're a psychotic liar. have fun in your own little world."

He called me psychotic. lol All because he made himself vulnerable and I managed to not suck for once. It didn't help him any by just standing still for me though. Maybe it's just the server's population itself. I've been hearing a lot of people talk crap about Connery.
  12. csvfr

I must say I begin to believe I need some game related anger management myself, but in-game.

IRL I'm a calm guy, would not make a scene if someone accidentally bumped their car into me, but calmly follow procedures with writing insurance report.

However a couple of weeks ago, we were assaulting the satellite base north of the south-eastern biolab on Esamir (the one which is elevated on a cliff, far from all warpgates). During the battle I died countless times, every time when I had finally jetpacked up the cliffs from below. I.e. get shot in mid-air, run into a MAX, etc. all the deaths were unique in some way and I could never even reach the control-point. Rest of the faction managed to hold it though, and when the battle was won, I lost it. In a sense of anger-apathy, I took my two satchels of C4, put them in the spawnroom, just as the rest of the faction were at the terminal. Probably killed 7 - 11 guys, don't remember, did not get a weapon lock, and only afterwards I was thinking "What the **** did I just do?". Earlier that day though, I had witnessed a teamkiller throw a grenade at the vehicle terminal in a similar way.

Yesterday, something happened there too, on Indar. We were pushing from the Comm. Array hilltop towards Allatum, I drove a Vanguard. The hills above were full of enemies, so when I stepped out after a while to repair my tank, this arrogant piece of **** sunderer driver comes and plow down both me and my gunner. Despite the circumstances, the tank survived, and I got into it to continue the push. All of the sudden I see a mine cluster in my path and begin to slow down and steer to the side. Then this second Vanguard driver, a "not-so-nice-word" called PressF4Freedom or something, rams into me and pushes me towards the mines. Just before it explodes, I jump out, but both me and the second subject dies. I'm revived, walk to the base, and when walking on the tipped over tower providing an entry to the base, a possibly different from before sunderer drives over me, on purpose. Immediately I respawn as LA, track down the sunderer, kill the two passengers not sure of the driver.

So should be some kind-of hotline I suppose, "Do you feel aggravated? type /angermanagament and tell your story"
  13. nobodybaby

NC TK culture explained! I've been trying to figure it out for sooo long.

I used to rage so hard at this game but I took it as a challenge to my mild mannered nature. It's all about having the right loadout on at the right time and taking getting killed with a grain of salt. It's hard for a long, long time but once you get the jist of the game it doesn't bother so much anymore. Just got to respawn as the best class &/or vehicle to kill the ***** that just kilt you.
  14. Diilicious

I didnt play for a week while looking after my grandad away from home, i came back and was getting dunked left and right. I was not having fun, then i waited a day, then played again and i was doing just as well if not better than i normally do
  15. MichaelMoen

Whenever the Zerg appears, players become reckless remorseless drivers and drive in the very same direction the infantry is pushing, it's like they search for a spot to deploy that would help the attackers, but don't care how many get ran over by them to get there.

My one, and most satisfying experience of TK Revenge happened a long while ago just outside our Warpgate on Esamir. We were Warpgated by the TR and I was helping fight back out on the first Outpost when I notice this one guy coming directly over to me. He gave me a long look, pointing his weapon at me. When I realized what was about to happen I got gunned down. I question him, he just replies something snarky and insulting. So I write something along the lines of, "I'll remember your name and hunt you down." Of course I was challenged right back. And then a good ten to fifteen minutes went by as the fighting progressed, more and more people joined the fight. But I kept scanning all the names as I helped fight. Lo and behold the guy reappears at the same fight. Shotgun in hand, I run right up to the guy, get in his face with it and boom.

Oh lord the angry messages I got from that.
  16. zaspacer

Devs have definitely been progressively tuning the game to benefit players with higher FPS combat skills. But if it makes you feel any better, they also have definitely been progressively tuning the game to benefit organized hardcore players as well. Personally, I don't like either and don't think it properly cultivates the greater numbers of potential players who sit outside those niche demographics. But SOE/DBG/Sigil/989/Verant have a long history of not cultivating the greater numbers of potential players (and in fact of slowly designing them out over time).
  17. IcEzEbRa

I have to admit to breaking at least one mouse in rage...
  18. DIGGSAN0

I can absolutely agree on OP here.
    Everywhere is this one guy... I don't know why or where...

I recently found out that a guy i played with (1 year long) had cheated the whole time and I did always defend him and said he was legit....never was so wrong.....

It doesn't even matter what game i play...there are that suspicious players everywhere...i may even want to quit not only PS2 but also Gaming in the whole cause there is no game for me anymore which does not have these cheesy players which either abuse the game or do cheat....sadly.

In PS2 i was Infiltrator....but my Main Class gets stomped down by a Heavy Main DEV...

Nerfs after nerfs i simply can't have fun in this Game...
    Meanwhile I see that Statpadders don't get banned and as soon as a PS2 Youtuber gets banned for 3 Days his Fanboys defend him in reddit and he gets unbanned...

Small Info about me:

2000 hours in Planetside2 (1600 counted on Steam)

Mainly playing Infiltrator (Cobalt, VS, Statpage shows 75%~Playtime as Inf)

Invested 600€~ Over the Years (did not Subscribe)
  19. CaptCran

Took a day off from PS. Got a lot of things done around the house (laundry, dishes, vacuum, balance the check/savings book, weeds in the cracks of the driveway). I even mailed off some of my sons thank yous from his birthday. Funny thing, when I got to the post office to get stamps there was 15 people waiting in line. Usually I'm in a hurry b/c I want to get home and play but today was different. Just excepted the fact that I was going to continue to do errands and bite the bullet and not play. Turns out after the postwoman finished with the most recent customer she called out "who's here for stamps and is paying with debit or credit???" I was like yo!!!! Was in and out in 2 minutes. Thought to myself as I walked out, man if it was any other day it would have been different.... funny ol' world ain't it????
  20. JobiWan

I certainly need anger management last time I played.

Had three rage tells in 20 minutes accusing me of hacking.

One - long range kill with Crossbow, an element of luck about it. Just got 'nanites' rage tell.

Two - snap shot with Archer to nearly dead enemy, got accused of aimbotting.

Three - same guy as one, killed him with Crossbow while he was cloaked but running, led the shot and he was easy to see while running - got accused of hacking again.

Then hit 'join combat' while cloaked. Took me to another continent and I got the bug where cloak doesn't work. Had to go back to Hossin, then back to Esamir to get cloak to work.

Then my gun stopped going into cloak (happens all the time lately). Then my hud went invisible, couldn't see my hands or gun or anything.

Final straw was being told I'm ******* stupid by squad leader because he disagreed with something I did, others in the squad thought I was right.

Between dealing with idiots and the game's many bugs, anger management is most certainly required at times.