Why I resubbed - right direction

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vamperial, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Vamperial

Because of changes like this! I didn't even know about these changes on the test server before I re-subbed for 3 months but I'm glad I did. Making the changes to the tech plant benefit, adding\replacing shield regen with a deployable spawn for the medic\ changing the cont benefits. I know I'm in the minority(on forums at least) but I like the implant changes because I ffffing hated the energy mechanic of the old system. I make enough certs on a sub to buy a 3 pack + upgrades for my char's abilities every time I play. Now, all we need is a modification to the lattice system so it's not so rigid and maybe I can get my friends to come back to this game!

I'm only giving you 3 months Daybreak. Convince me to make it a year!

PTS will be updated later this afternoon. Here are most of the relevant changes we have made.

Forward Station

• On Test, you will have access to a rank 1 Forward Station found in the Combat Medic's ability slot.
    • The Forward Station acts as a deployable spawn point that can be placed indoors, and regenerates the shields of nearby allies while deployed.
    • The intention of this test would be to ultimately replace the Combat Medic's Shield Recharging Field.
    Goals of this change

• To allow both attackers and defenders the ability to create footholds within a base.
    • Foster a better feeling of progress toward capturing a base.
    • Give defenders the opportunity to break out of spawn camp situations.
    • Reduce the reliance on Sunderers while inside a base, while still retaining their importance to a fight.
    • Create more opportunities to use different areas of a base, and potentially spread the fight out more often.
    Considerations

• As listed earlier, we have enabled No Deploy Zones in each base to affect both attackers and defenders, while the Forward Station ignores this restriction.
    • Sunderers will likely be defended less often by infantry spawning from them. With that in mind, we would be looking to increase the staying power of a Sunderer while in a deployed state.
    • There is a concern that this may create some whack-a-mole style gameplay, and there are many potential adjustments we can make to mitigate that.
    Some stats

• Only one can be placed, does not restock from ammo packs.
    • Currently recharges 42 health per second for this test version, but will likely be more at release.
    • Resupplying from a terminal and equipping the device will destroy your most recent pad, if it exists in the world.
    • Cannot be deployed within 75 meters of another pad of the same faction.
    • Players can respawn on the forward station within 100 meters.
    Known issues

• Minimap indicators are currently broken, but the intention would be to allow enemies and allies to see a nearby spawn tube on their minimap at all times, similar to the Infiltrator's Motion Spotter.
    • Shield recharging can take up to 5 seconds to initiate if you do not leave and re-enter the zone.
    • Placeholder model and effects.
    Facility Benefits
    Dev Note: Moving forward, we’re looking to create more consistency with vehicle usage so that players are encouraged to pull the right vehicle at the right time. Part of this effort comes from shifting cost-reduction benefits and vehicle requirement restrictions off of the Tech Plant and Continent Locking mechanics.
    As a trade-off, continents are gaining access to more defensive benefits that have mild, but distinct impacts on how you approach a base fight, depending on which faction currently owns a continent.

Tech Plant
    • No longer restrict the usage of Main Battle Tanks.
    • Owning a Tech Plant now allows players to call down a stock Flash ATV using the Waypoint system. Dev Note: This is still a rough implementation of this feature, but having the ability to summon logistics opens doors in a number of different areas in the future.
    Amp Station
    • No longer increases heat efficiency for base turrets.
    Continent Lock Benefits
    Amerish
    • No longer reduces infantry consumable costs.
    • Now allows base generators to slowly regenerate health while destroyed.
    Indar
    • No longer reduces air vehicle costs.
    • Now increases heat efficiency for base turrets (previously an Amp Station benefit.)
    Esamir
    • No longer reduces ground vehicle costs.
    • Capture points at connected bases you own now regenerate infantry shields over time
  2. Campagne

I personally rather dislike all of these. :confused:
    • Up x 1
  3. DeadlyOmen

Forward Station: No.

That there is some distance between opposing spawns encourages fights over greater distances. Moving the fight into a situation where the fight is between close spawn points encourages spawn killing.
    • Up x 2
  4. LaughingDead

I've already expressed my views on the forward station.
    It's just not a good idea. What prevents people from exiting a spawn lock in the first place was the infantry, even if you had a forward spawn right behind the enemy lines, all that does is have them dash towards you, kill the spawn, and they lose no number because they have forward spawns as well.
    For attackers, it means you are constantly fighting the entire defending force at any given location, no matter how hard to already have to spread your forces out. It's like redeployside inside redeployside (say that five times fast), people already don't like redeployside as is, having more power to infantry from the spawn screen is just dumb.
  5. DeadlyOmen

There have been some changes lately that makes one scratch their head:

Max charge gone
    AV Turret range reduced
    NV gone from aircraft

The game should be harder, not easier.

It seems that the game is getting dumbed down, This would not make me resub.
  6. Liewec123

in my opinion adding no deploy zones around bases for defenders and allowing the zergling attackers to actually spawn inside of your base using "forward station" is the final nail in the coffin for defending...

i made a post a while ago about how all you see nowadays are big zergs rolling over bases because defending has been made almost impossible and its utterly unfun so noone bothers doing it, they all simply go attack a different base.
    and now this...
    OK DBG we get it, you hate defenders, enough!
    • Up x 2
  7. DeadAlive99

(edited for awful typos) Well, spawn killing would be far better than what we have now, which is spawn room camping without the killing. 100 people shooting at shields and farming ammo packs while 50 people inside get the occasional kill and farm packs. That happens to be my number one pet peeve in the game, so I'm very happy to see a new option here.

As far as the killing goes, these stations aren't very tough. I just killed one with about 3 mags of 143 dmg, so if they aren't tucked away good, then they'll get destroyed fast and it'll be over. If they are in a decent spot with good routes out of there then we will have some good gameplay.

I see it from the positive side. Attackers will have more options than the typical, and now quite boring, IMO, sundy spawns. Defenders will have the advantage of not being stuck with the tired old, and poorly designed base spawns.

Quite simply, it's going to spread out the fight, and you will never know exactly where new forces will be coming from. It will add some freshness to the fight, which is sorely needed, and with any luck, it will put an end to 4 1/2 years of ridiculous 1 way shield spawn room battles, which I lovingly refer to as "built in bathroom breaks", because they are utterly pointless unless you are spamming ammo packs.

Ftr, I am sure they will make tweaks to it if it becomes too easy for one side or the other, or causes things to fall into a rut.

In another thread, I suggested that there would probably need to be a faction / base wide cooldown to prevent 100 medics from spamming them as soon as one gets destroyed. For example, no more than 3 attacker spawns could be deployed in a rolling 15 minute time block in the base area, and the same for defenders. If one side or the other can take them out fast enough, then they can take away that advantage.
  8. AllRoundGoodGuy

While I agree that bases are not really that defensible against a slightly over-popped attacker, I think that the forward station will help eliminate this. But I can't be sure until it goes live.
  9. DeadlyOmen

It is not the fault of the attacker that the defender doesn't appear until the attacker is at their spawnroom.
  10. DeadAlive99

No, it's the fault of the designers. This was supposed to be a 'big battles' game, not a zerg ghostcap game. The core design is flawed, and has needed addressing from the beginning. I'm sure this station won't fix it all, but I do think it will help, and maybe quite a bit.

And it's not just about the late arrival scenario. It's really the general issue of pointless spawn room camping for 3-7 minutes. Once it gets to that point, the base should just flip. Once you are backed into that little box, the game is over (or should be).

Since the devs insist on not adjusting the capture mechanic, then at least this spawn station can make those last few minutes fun instead of boring non sense.
  11. LaughingDead

If they needed to alleviate the problem of base fights being played out, they give more power to the teams instead of the randos. There are a ton of other ideas they could have had, maxes that dequip to do the same thing, squad leaders being able to construct this for squads indoors, galaxys deploying over a base. The last thing we need is randoms being able to slap this wherever.

As for spreading out the fight, that really just sounds like you need to prevent spawnlocks. But we already have such a thing, it's called the galaxy. If you really need a way for people to disperse over a base, have a teletube inside the spawn that allows you to warp into the passager seats of an allied vehicle over the base to be dropped on.
    ^ That system is incredibly flawed, it's not hard to see why. But the point is the spawn should do less about the hardspawn and more about the deployment vehicles. Previously galaxies were able to be deployed and a mess of troops could be spawned from it, but since more vehicle nerfs have been made, 4 heavies can prevent a galaxy from dropping over a base, with masas, but a successful gal can land a troop of 10 or more people over the base or etc.

It's not that I am against the idea of spreading out the troops, quite the opposite, I am however completely against infantry being self sustaining, self reviving, self resupplying, being able to effectively engage anything AND be able to spawn other infantry. In D&D we would call this "broken as hell wtf were you thinking adding this stupid *** monster in this game DM?!"
  12. DeadAlive99

I agree that aerial drops would be much better. I'm not saying the station is the best solution, just that it's FAR better than the non-solution we've had for 4 1/2 years. The spawn room issue, combined with some other issues, is why I quit the game twice. I just couldn't deal with the boredom and the 'stupid' anymore. The spawn room design has always been my number one beef with this game.

They tried some half baked fixes for the big bases when they added those gravity tunnels and ports, but they've always felt very clunky and slow to me, and most importantly, not fun. Exiting spawn areas should be a super easy, fast and FUN way to get back in the game, not a boring, sluggish chore that makes it more appealing to just spawn elsewhere or farm 'till you die.
  13. FateJH

To be fair, at least the first two of those changes do make it harder for the respective users.

(I reserve judgment on the third as I didn't use thermal on vehicle weapons back when people claim it "was good.")
  14. DeadlyOmen

But easier on the intended target.

So, the game has been made easier.
  15. Direlithe

Yeh..
  16. DeadlyOmen

Blaming devs for the nature of spawning does not fix the problem.

Rule #1 for FPS gaming: If you let the bad guy get all the way to your spawn (no matter how many there are, or what shape they take), he will be there waiting for you.

If anything, blame the guy that forced his enemy to come all the way to the spawn to find him.
  17. Villanuk

Dev Note: Moving forward, we’re looking to create more consistency with vehicle usage so that players are encouraged to pull the right vehicle at the right time.

How do you know what and which is the right one at each time, for each base. for each continent for each fight??

You cant and you cannot forward plan what players tactics are going to be used.

But then you do not want to make it harder for people to defend bases even when zerged..

And people wonder why many do not sub....... You just dont listen.. or did your fan base on reddit ask for it because this forum didn't.
  18. CNR4806

I wonder why we even bother with prebuilt bases anymore if they hate defensible bases that badly.
    • Up x 1
  19. Liewec123

exactly! hardly anyone bothers anymore,
    its rare to not see the 3 factions simply zerging around the map overpopping every base while a few foolish folks like myself attempt to defend bases against 70% overpop tank zergs.
    and now they're adding no deploy zones for defenders and giving the zerg the ability to spawn inside of your base...
    it really makes me wonder why i'm still funding this game.