Upgrade Time! Ryzen or wait for Intel

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vamperial, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Vamperial

Howdy fokes!

Now that Ryzen has been out for a few weeks has anyone built a Ryzen system and knows about performance with PS2? I know Ryzen isn't the best pure gaming platform however I plan on using my new system for more than games. I like to stream and use production software like Blender, Photoshop, and a few other production apps. My i5 just doesn't cut it in these programs anymore.

I currently have an I5 3570k @4.2Ghz- 16GB RAM - 2x500GB SSD in RAID0 but the performance in PS2 with a FTW 1080 is sub 40fps in very large fights while streaming then dips into the 20s for any intense action. I wonder if I would have an easier time with Ryzen?

Cheers for any advice!
  2. baka

Wow - my system is like yours save for my 960 and a single SSD. I tend to hang around 70 to 120fps (been ignoring the numbers lately since everything is running pretty smooth unless there is server lag. Of course, I have flora off and run shadows on low.
    Biggest upgrade I have made recently was going with a 1ms, 144Hz monitor. Just getting away from a standard (cheap) monitor has been huge.
    I will have to check other settings... I probably have something else less than ultra since some settings just do not make a visual difference to me in actual gameplay as opposed to video capture.
  3. Gundem

The thing is, Ryzen still has the same IPC as current Broadwell CPU's, so when it comes to PS2 performance, clock speed is still king, ergo Intel is still king.

That being said, Ryzen does have comparable IPC to Broadwell, a chip platform that does a pretty good job at running PS2, so it's not completely suicidal to run AMD anymore like it was back with AMD's Bulldozer CPU's.

If you legitimately can utilize the full core count of a Ryzen 7 CPU, and don't have the budget for something like a 5690x, Ryzen 7 is a decent choice that will run PS2 fairly well compared to previous gen AMD chips.

That also being said, if you have serious interest in gaming, I'd stick with Intel, since you will still get better performance on a 7700k with a strong overclock. Current gen AMD hardware just isn't aiming for enthusiasts.

Those both being said(It's getting old, I know), if you plan on upgrading, I'd wait for the 8000 series from Intel to hit, since those will provide better performance still, no matter how marginal, and will also impact the price of previous gen Intel chips.
  4. Calisai

I was about to say my rig does much better than that with a lesser video card, but then I saw the streaming part. Are you streaming (and encoding/compressing) while playing? That's what's killing your 3570's performance then. I get solid 70+ that may drop down to 40s during a clusterf$#k biolab 96+/96+ fights. However, I have my recording done on a second PC (FX8350) using a HDMI passthru card.

You would probably experience a big increase if you are doing CPU encoding for your stream while playing on the same rig, just by having more available processors not used by PS2 available for your encoding. I made the decision a few years back to repurpose my old AMD rig into a recording box (and recently upgraded it to an 8350) to take all CPU load off my gamer... haven't regretted that decision since.

Check this article out. I'm not sure if you are OC'ng your 3570 or not, but I don't think the decision is cut and dried. Especially for a single-thread heavy game like PS2. I do think it would help out when talking about encoding your stream on the same box though. So it's a complicated question.
  5. Vamperial

Thanks for the feedback. Yes. I use OBS on same box. RE: Performance: I find it funny that I have to play with shadows off in this game otherwise I take a 20+ FPS hit even without streaming. Do you use shadows and get 70+ FPS?
  6. baka

Bah! Reading comprehension fail - I missed the streaming part too. Maybe I need to reinstall GeForce Experience again and give that a try to see how bad it goes. Stream kept private since my suckness does not need a more public forum....