[Suggestion] Base Building Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GeeBee, Apr 17, 2017.

1. GeeBee

So I've been playing for about a month on Connery NC and here are some recommended changes and general ranting from my experience. In general the HIVE system for VP's is too rewarding and it's taking away from the conquest portion of the game. This is a list of issues with base building and hives that I feel need some adjustment this may not be applicable to Emerald, could just be the cancer that is Connery 2017.

1) Remove the +2 VP for having most hives, and the +3 VP for having 7 hives. Having hives up generates VP points, so they generate VP and are rewarded with more VP for having more things that generate VP.

2) Make all hex's that border the map non-build locations. The continents were not designed for the construction system, there are many places near the edge of the map that makes bases near invulnerable since there's little to no entry, or provide silly amounts of natural cover.

3) the neutral bases that were added to Indar default to Vanu, when not playing vanu you cannot repair any of these terminals. This basically means all these terminals are Vanu's, if you shank them and want to use them you would have to get a vanu to repair it so you can hack it and use it. But the Vanu can hack/shank/repair them anywhere on the map.

4) Sealed wall Meta, Bases built with limited or no points of entrance. When building bases i find getting the wall placements can be near impossible, I question wether this meta should be nerfed so there are more gaps in bases or improved so placement of sealed walls is easier. Adding snap points to the constructions to allow faster placement of sealed walls would be a great QOL improvement, or allowing a small amount of overlap of the structures for easier placement.

5) Hive bases on overpopped faction, I feel there needs to be a balancing variable added in here. Examples A) Hive effectiveness penalties / bonuses for overpop / underpop. pretty hard to put a finger on what the numbers should be, but this should be a mechanic. B) Cortium mined penalty for Overpop.

6) Hive mechanic in General, There are 7 cores, so by default 1 faction starts with 3 and the others have 2. This is related to the "most cores" bonus vp's so it's less likely to be tied. Cores are locked and secured to your faction until someone places it, then its available to be "stolen" by another faction. There's too much 4th faction meta here of anyone being able to place a HIVE and have it stolen. Hives are too easily 4th factioned, they can be placed by BR15+ all it takes is a stock ANT and full load of cortium to drop a silo and a hive. I feel hives should be limited to higher BR's to reduce the 4th factioning of them, At least BR30 and an automated system that will lockout players from being able to place hives if they tend to loose them without being alive for a period of time.
    • Up x 2
  2. PanzerGoddess

taller walls :), just a little taller is all...like maybe 20ft taller, that's all I really want lol
  3. TR5L4Y3R

1. - disagree it allows to still have points even when not to actualy manga to genreate VP´s .. i rather have change the VP system so generated VP´s don´t have as much impact on the whole VP count than caputred VP´s .. so instead make each captured base have a VP value ( like 1 to three based on importancan of the base, biolab, techlab et.c) and increase the overall VP to lock a countinent while retaining the rate of generated VP from hives

2. - agree ther should be no deployzoned at every map corner so PMB´s need to be reachable with any penalty for the attacker ..

3. - can´t say anything on this cause i didn´t encounter that issue on cobalt ..

4.- agreed there needs to be a genral easier way to built bases and properly put walls together ..

5.- agreed i may add something like a having a hive stop refining cortium when it is contested .. and maybe lower its effectivness when left on its own ..

6. - there will always be 4th factioneers .. while i would agree to make hive´s less abuseable for relocating it would punish people with interest to build hivebases earlier on and investing certs into it .. i still don´t think it would be effective on stopping hive relocation abuse
    instead i actualy would increase the parameters on when one base get´s access to a core for a active hive .. like add more security parameters as the hive anyway is meant to be the latest to be placed into a base.. so tie the aquisition of getting an active core to number of turrets, well placed walls or bunkers, or active shielding and AI modules etc. ... this imo prevents PMB´s by newer players to be too weak to defend a active hive .. it instead reasures the player or players USE the apropriate base items to defend a hive or don´t get an active core at all .. which means players HAVE to invest certs into PMB`s or work as small teams who have said basedefenses ...
  4. ShadowAssociate

Very much in agreement with the OP. The devs did a great job with the foundation of the construction system, but it needs a little polish to shine.

Concerning VP's, I saw an interesting suggestion on Reddit Wrel responded to; culling the redundancy in the VP reward factor would also be a good idea.

I also think more could be done to incentivize players to participate in building and attacking PMB's, especially regarding non-HIVE bases. PMB's have plenty of potential for disrupting (in a good way) the stagnant flow of combat from one base to the next. Before many of the smaller bases were entirely removed from the lattice, there was a suggestion floating around to make them bypass-able. I was a bit sad to see some cool little bases go, but PMB's have the potential to fill in these gaps in a fun and dynamic way.

Reward builders for (as much as is possible) constructables performing their intended function. A few examples might be:
    • Kill assists for all turret kills
    • Shielding score for protecting friendlies from damage with cover-type structures
    • XP when a friendly spawns a vehicle/aircraft from a terminal
    Reward attackers kills, logistics, and general success when in close proximity of enemy structures, such as:
    • A ribbon for Module destruction
    • Bonus XP for kills while under an enemy Skyshield
    • XP for damage to cover-type structures (similar to aircraft deterrence)
    With enough construction related objectives, there could even be a whole new directive tree. (Featuring Auraxium Lumifiber Bunkers!)
    • Up x 1
  5. GeeBee

you reminded me of another gripe, PMB population messing with a base fight population in the same territory. I would like to somehow separate the populations on the map since PMB's especially hive bases put 2 separate objectives on the same territory. I don't know if there's an easy way to do it without making the map super ugly.

On a related note to the PMB's between bases can be easily bypassed by going around them typically. If these bases were to actually serve a purpose they would need to be able to put themselves on the lattice so they couldn't be bypassed. Example - Tawrich Depot - driving down the road from crossroads to get to it isn't even worth doing without a PMB in the road. Its best to go from Xenotech and take the Canyon down, no gate, no gate guns etc, and this direction puts you on the right side for sundy placement.

And yes I agree there should be some more ribbons for PMB's other than repairing and mining and silo refilling. When doing base building the Mining / Silo part of it seems to give too much experience, but when you're building the base you get nothing. On a related note the players that drive around mining cortium into a silo for XP and not doing anything with it or decon'ing the silo is really annoying.
  6. Meserion

I'd like for aircraft to have a way to damage skyshields, as currently air plays no part in assaulting built bases, we just take flak damage from them while unable to fight back.

Maybe make ESF AI noseguns do extra damage to skyshields that out damages repair module. Or maybe give liberators a belly gun that does massive damage to skyshields and modules but is weak vs. Infantry or Armor.
  7. LordKrelas

You can damage them; Angle your aircraft lower than the shield, and blast either in-between the gap of the wall & shield, or simply blast the wall into oblivion.
    This is how aircraft shatter skyshields.

If you could damage them from above without thought, with the ability to outpace repair modules unlike tanks, Skyshields would be a lie: As that isn't protecting from aircraft, that's a magnet to aircraft fire.

Let alone give ESFs weapons that can outpace the repair module, while Tanks can't.
    That's all levels of messed up.

I like your idea of changes, since Hives are ******** for VPs, given they are un-removeable VPs that can only increase.

However, if Hives could be enhanced by being the lower popped faction, that would enable them to even faster lock a map they lack the people to actually lock by themselves, using Hives Alone.

Aka majority does nothing for said faction, while the smallest sub-sect win the entire map regardless of the efforts of possibly hundreds of players doing the hard work of Securing, defending & attacking lattice bases & having to attack PMBs off in remote corners - which doesn't stop the Hives just delays them slightly.

So I can't see why a structure off in the middle of no-where, can generate more points with less effort than multiple Tech Plants, Bio Labs, and dozens of lattice bases; To keep those VPs, in addition you have to defend those bases constantly.
    The VPs gained are also constant for Hives, while not for Lattice bases.

If the blasted hives need to Keep generating VP, could they at least become less effective after each VP generated?
    Like, say they have generated 5 VPs (all hives, not per hive), they have slowed down.
    And for the love of Mercy, have a cap for total VPs from hives.
    Right now, singular hives can literally be destroyed & rebuilt, gaining VP by VP to 15, allowing an alert to cap it after said faction who hived to that point, was basically AFK for the entire period - aka a Quick zerg wins it all.
    Or they just Hive to win the alert, gaining more bonuses for having Hives in hell holes.

Aka we need less of "Hives are the most effective means to win" , and more "Hives are tactical tools"
    Right now, they out-preform the bloody lattice, and can be used to out-preform 2 factions with a combined 60-80% pop.

Since a small group of that small group, stared at orange rocks, and built in a hellish hole.
    And the best part, to 'stop' them, which just delays them, doesn't remove any progress at all, those 2 factions have to dedicate 3x the number of people defending, and have them shoot at walls for eternity - Oh, and die to the hive explosion.

All the while,
    The remaining members of the underpopped side, can now freely & comically zerg since all they need is time, and they win.
    Defense? No need, they are just grabbing VPs from lattice bases to top off the Hive VPs.