The wall.. oops! the brick of engineer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NOTHAN, Mar 31, 2017.

1. NOTHAN

Translate:
    • i do not know who validated the size of the engineer's wall, but obviously it must be a dwarf (even if I do not have anything against them ...) So thank the devs and the testers to have validate a wall which When one is crouching allows the snipers to aim the head (very usefull) !
    • Thank you again to see that "Diversion" works so well that after 4 hours of intensive use of the "small wall" I get to 1/250 ... strongly that I find myself another game.

Original:
    • Je ne sais pas qui a validé la taille du mur de l'ingénieur mais visiblement cela devait etre un nain (même si je n'ai rien contre eux...) Merci donc aux devs et aux testeurs d'avoir valider un mur qui lorsque l'on est accroupi permet aux snipers de viser la tête (très utile) !
    • Merci encore de voir que "Diversion" marche tellement bien que apres 4 heures d'utilisation intensive du "petit mur" j'arrive à 1/250 ... vivement que je me trouve un autre jeu.

Sorry for my poor english... have a good day
  2. NOTHAN

And ... Wall (lol) Lets pass through some missiles .... really good work !!!
  3. stalkish

Eh its pretty useless.
    Best thing ive found for it is blocking the path of a vehicle so it drives onto your mines.

But ive not yet seen a vehicle collide with it, nor have i tried to run one over, so i dont know what happens if you ignore it.
  4. Pikachu

Change avatar. I think of Scr1nrusher when I see the NC engineer with default helmet.
    • Up x 4
  5. Lord_Avatar

I found it pretty useful in making otherwise undefensible positions (like generator rooms) feasible. They could make it somewhat higher though...
    • Up x 1
  6. Pelojian

infantry should be able to crouch behind it without being exposed (assuming enemies are on a similar elevation), otherwise i can only see it being useful when you'd otherwise get hit in the legs by something.
    • Up x 2
  7. Lord_Avatar

I agree with the exposure part. However, I find it useful, because when placed in a doorway most players have trouble jumping over it. It makes for a great makeshift bottleneck and allows the defenders to mow the attackers down while they keep hopping around helplessly. Slap down an AI MANA somewhere nearby and it can work wonders. Just be mindful of the nade spam, as usual. ;)
  8. Pelojian

don't overlook that with a team mate you could place one down and they could put a spitfire down as the turret looks like it clears the top of the barrier.
    • Up x 1
  9. Lord_Avatar

True that. See? We CAN make it work. ;)
  10. Kaizure

Running into the wall will cause the vehicle to drive over it. It's like when a sunderer runs into a short fence - it will just climb over it and continue on its way.

As for the wall being useless... it's not intended for being a place for people to crouch behind and be 100% protected.

Imagine if you were attacking a room like the Biolab's shield room. You know the long stairway? Imagine if there was a wall up there with people using as cover to protect their legs from incoming fire. If you couldn't land any shots because the wall covered up their entire character when crouched, wouldn't you feel like you're at a strong disadvantage when you're defending the base? You'd want to have some way to kill the attackers despite their wall. Hence the head being visible while crouched, thus giving defenders a way to continue fighting back.

The trick is to use the wall on an elevation, so if you're crouching right next to the wall, you're not guaranteed to survive. However, if you simply back up away from the wall, you'll be away from incoming enemy fire while also being able to watch for them to come up the stairs.
  11. SpartanZero

From all my testing, I think the wall needs to be stronger versus AV weapon mitigation (specifically the infantry/MAX portable ones) but since they can't separate them from the vehicle dmg base.

I was hoping the barrier would act similar to the portable defenses players get in Rainbow Six Siege with more anti-explosive absorption. So they could act as a stalling mechanic vs MAX crashes during interior fights. With testing I found the barrier died waaaay to quickly against 1 MAX (let alone a half dozen or more). Barriers are going to be very limited for effective use, more often utilized by a single player in lighter skirmishes, rather than see prolific use in heavier combat to aid defensive situations.
  12. Kdog559

I think they should just make the wall to be a little above our heads when crouched to give us cover from enemy fire. I mean it will have an actual purpose and lots of engi's would use them.They are ok if you crouch on the sides of the wall but if the wall was designed that way just for looks and not the actual purpose then please redo it.Cover our heads at least.
  13. Villanuk

What?? I just jumped over it.. its just pointless tbh.
  14. Lord_Avatar

Well, yesterday I saw a dozen or so players *attempting* to jump over it, failing and getting riddled with bullets.
  15. Deffington

It would be very funny if the owner could shoot trough. Only the one, not allies.
  16. OldMaster80

I really like the new deployable cover. Many players lack the aiming necessary to go for headshots, so the barrier absorbs most of bullets.
    It can easily create a good line of defense where people would usually hide behind corners.

And it is also pretty resistant. It can take up to 3 rockets and it can be repaired.
  17. DeadAlive99

Not to mention just general spray and splash damage.

In PTS the other day, I deployed on top of some rocks, and was able to essentially get a head high wall that way. I also tried one on a construction vpad, and it blocked a flash from rolling out smoothly. It can also be used as a stepping stone to get onto other things, just like you can with the turrets.

And now that I think about it, it seems to be just the right height to protect a construction module. Let's say one is about to be destroyed, and there's no way you can repair it in time. So you drop the wall first, and it gives you a nice buffer for the repair job.
  18. DeadAlive99

In another thread, I suggested that they also add in a 2 way shield of the same size. Fire is blocked both ways, but players and vehicles pass through. This would be preferred for many doorway situations. They could leave the top corners solid, so it could still be used as a stepping stool as well.

Another idea is a full height, 1/2 damage mitigater shield. It allows fire both ways, but enemy fire damage is cut by 50%. And all players and vehicles can pass through.
  19. Draconas

since it's a shield that is not only flimsy but blocks bullets from both enemies and friendlies, i'd hope for a small height increase as throughout every personal deployment of mine, crouching behind it done diddly squat, even trying to avoid grenade splash with it between me and a grenade doesn't do anything.