How would PS2 have been different without Sniper Rifles?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Scr1nRusher

Combat, map design, etc
  2. D.M.B.-681

Less annoying for sure
  3. FateJH

It would be a bit more boring.
    • Up x 3
  4. Campagne

Would that include the Blackhand and scout rifles?

But anyways probably more people would just use AP cannons for an easier time anyway.

And nanoweave might never have been nerfed.
  5. CutieG

On this topic, did anyone else make the observation that it's really easy to snipe infantry with tank weapons and sniper rifles?
    Like, unreasonably easy?
    I got the Warden on my engineer and it behaves more like an ordinary weapon, despite having similarities to sniper rifles. And it's ******* impossible to get headshots with it.
    Meanwhile, if I got infiltrator, I'm barely lining up any axis and always get headshots.
    As for tanks, the difference seems to be that their hit detection actually works reliably. Maybe there's a hidden parameter that gives certain precision-based weapon types priority.

This really confuses me. If they can do this, why aren't they giving battle rifles the same priority treatment? And why aren't they doing it for shotguns, the dodgiest type of weapon that I know of in this game?

Anyway, snipers are inherently a griefing playstyle. I know, that's an unpopular opinion, but their base concept is killing people without them being able to fight back. And that's exactly how it works in PS2.
    Now, snipers do add a lot to the sense of scale of the game. They really make use of those large battlefields. But man, they are frustrating as **** to fight and also tend to be a noob trap. Too many battles have been lost from idiots who thought switching to sniper and losing momentum would be a good idea.

But then again, if I was making a game like PS2, I'd just throw out any semblance of realism and base it on abstract weapons warfare. That would give me a lot of leeway when it comes to making weapon types that are fun and engaging, as well as balance-able and workable under engine constraints, instead of having this realism framework to limit creative choices.
    I would love to see a concept where medics and snipers become one class, for example. Their main weapon would be a sniper rifle that can shoot heals, as well as make enemies flinch. Perfect to aid in a large battle, with some proper target selection, but bad for griefing. Motion spotters would become an engineer thing, cloak would become available to all classes at the cost of a slot (no idea which one it would be).
    To compensate, they'd have two sets of dual-wielded secondaries, allowing them to fend off enemies who try to take out the backline but making them bad at anything beyond medium range.
    And that's roughly where the idea falls apart, because it would be kinda boring to play this class (you'd have them sit in the backline and just be ranged healbots, while a few dudes stand watch over them) and there is no reason to give them two sets of dual-wielded secondaries aside from it being cool.
    The point to take away here is that you can do some really unusual things if you stop thinking in real world terms. Things which allow you to potentially make the game much more interesting.
    If someone talked about healing sniper rifles in PS2, you'd get a ****storm. The game's tone is unrealistic, but not this unrealistic, even though nanites could explain anything.
  6. BrbImAFK

I'm sorry, but your ideas are terrible. So terrible, in fact, that I'm not even going to bother with my normal critique and discussion. They're just all up bad and should be ignored completely. In particular, I want to take exception to this:

Let's make a little list of times you can't fight back.....
    • Pretty much any vehicle when you're an Infiltrator
    • Pretty much any non-moron vehicle when you're a Medic / Engineer
    • Pretty much any infantry-supported vehicle when you're a LA / HA
    • Pretty much all the time there's enemy air vehicles about
    • Pretty much any time you pull a Skyguard
    • Pretty much any time you meet a vehicle or aircraft when you put AI on your vehicle
    • Almost any non-cloaky Flash
    • Pretty much any time you meet an NC MAX
    • A fair amount of the time you meet a Jackhammer (I mean, sure... you can shoot back, but you'll still probably die)
    • Given how crap the indicators are, a fair amount of the time people spam grenades at you
    • Getting C4 bombed by an LA on a roof
    • Getting rocket primaried by HA (unless you're a full-health HA with your shield up)
    • Pretty much any time you equip Bursters on your MAX
    • Most of the time you're a MAX and the enemy is further than 50m away
    • Pretty much any time an LA jumps down on your with a pump-action shotty
    • Pretty much any time an SMG infil jumps you (assuming the infil knows what he's doing)
    • Pretty much any time you run over a cleverly placed AI mine (or AV for MAX's / vehicles)
    • Pretty much any time the enemy runs Jihadi-Flash (assuming a non-******** Flash driver)
    I could probably go on, but I think I've made my point. There's a lot of stuff in this game that you can't necessarily respond to without doing something specific, and it's no different for snipers. Personally, I think pulling an A2G ESF in a 1-12v1-12 fight at 4 AM is a damned sight closer to griefing than the occasional sniper, but at least I'm honest enough to admit that there's actually nothing wrong with it. I just personally consider it lame.
    • Up x 2
  7. Exitus Acta Probat

Boring and unrealistic to not have to be wary about it, situational awareness solves 80% of it.

Every time I get killed by one, I know it was my fault for letting my guard down and becoming complacent.

Though every time I get killed by a heavy with his shield up, I can't help but think how he would of been dead without it and it would of been me standing over his corpse.

Or how I sometimes think how they would of never taken the point back if they didn't pull a max

Meh... :rolleyes:

I still wouldn't want to play the game without those things, as they all have counters and PS2 would be a bit more boring without them.
    • Up x 1
  8. Scr1nRusher

How much pounds of pepper would it take to match this amount of salt?
    • Up x 1
  9. BrbImAFK

Seriously? Come on, Scr1n.... you can do better than that. I know you can! I believe in you!

I mean, come on..... medics with sniper-heal guns, dual-wield nonsense? These are, objectively, terrible ideas for a game like PS2. They might be appropriate in some sort of CoD-knock-off, but not here.

I'm not salty, I'm just tired of the endless, mindless crap getting spewed all over these forums. Especially of the No0T variety! :p
    • Up x 2
  10. The Shady Engineer

Indoors probably not much. It would piss off the one percent of the elite aim crowd but that's about it really. Outdoors I actually think it'd be interesting because you'd see more large open field fights on foot.

Over the years infantry-vehicle relations have been made such that both have their place in open fields. Infantry vs infantry in open field fights though.... Well, you're either a sniper or you're sniper food. Which is a shame because footzerg vs footzerg field fights are some of the most fun moments you can have in this game.
    • Up x 1
  11. TR5L4Y3R

give antiinfil/antiinfantry scoutoptions like ai thermal vision or heartbeatsensor (useable only when ads) to a guns railattachmeant and or buff darklight ..

are nightvisionscopes any good?

people scream infill can't do jack against armor ..
    give them a disruptiongrenade and/or vehiclehacking (no c4, no archer and no friggin avmines)

noobplayers (like me) consistently get killed by sniperinfils ... give the above scoutoptions to a guns railatachment ...
  12. DIGGSAN0

How would PS2 have been different without Scr1nRusher?
  13. CutieG

Oh god it's like I triggered a salt statue. :D

Dude, at least read my post before you start insulting me.
  14. LordKrelas

If you couldn't actually aim, then no it's not easy.
    Those who can make the shot, usually are just as good if not better with the rest of the weaponry.
    But those weapons (sniper rifles, tank cannons) only have 1 bloody bullet firing at a time. (not including prowler in that)

So no, it's not unreasonably easy to snipe at a distance.
    And you are using a weapon with a high velocity, at a long distance, which is built for that range.
    If it was as hard as a pistol designed for CQC range firing at long range, it would defeat the point of having the weapon.
    As it would be far better then, to use a weapon with more shots, or just not ever engage at the built-for-range.

Welcome to a Battle Rifle.
    Every weapon is a normal weapon, a sniper rifle is a normal weapon; It is simply built for the long ranged accurate fire.
    Thinking it should work at its intended range like a LMG firing well outside its intended range is idiocy.
    You fire an LMG, it does as you expect it to at the intended range.
    What do you think a Sniper rifle is built for?

Also, I get headshots with the warden.
    I get head shots with my pistol, with the archer, and LMG's, etc etc etc
    It ain't all that hard when firing at the intended range for the weapon, when you understand the weapon.

A sniper rifle firing at closer ranges, will seem more accurate: As you are firing it below the intended range.
    It has a high velocity to achieve accuracy at that farther range, where it is required to have it.

Shotguns, use a RNG factor due to the randomized pellet spread.
    There is no priority, it is the velocity of the rounds.

A griefing style..
    A sniper rifle, where You must have skill to fire the thing, account for the distance, target motions, bullet drop, and the needed shots to kill.
    Not to mention, your firing angle, which is determined by position.
    And if you don't prioritize correctly, Your target is revived, or your kill was just as useless as a missed shot.

It's like saying an LMG killing at range, or close quarters, is a perfect weapon.
    "Just spray & pray!"

Their concept isn't related to the inability to fight back.
    Any solider can get themselves into a position where the enemy can't fight back.
    BRBIAFK covered this masterfully with a list.

Too many idiots fail to pull enough anti-air, it's a real noob trap.

Sherlock, we have cannons that don't have velocity equal to anything close to reality.
    A grenade explodes better than a tank shell, 5x the size of it.

You want a sniper-rifle ranged Heal tool.
    I take it , you want medics outside the engagement zone reviving & healing beyond the opponent's ability to stop.
    That's a far more effective than a Sniper when it comes to being utter Bull.
    As a sniper can only find & kill; A medic, can return soldiers to the fight, and undo any damage done.
    They are needed to be killed, to win a fight, and You want them outside of reach..

Cloak to all classes.
    Go read about the problem with Infils with shotguns, or the Cloaking implant.

Making infils, with limited health, have to engage in close quarters with two sidearms at the same time.
    Dual Commissioners, Oh look I win.
    Not to mention, a Medic is far more annoying than a sniper.... The sniper has a limited ability to kill.
    A medic can deny death to an entire squad by themselves while standing within range of every enemy gun sight.

This is why the idea is utterally insane.

So there, someone read it, and replied to each piece of madness.
    • Up x 1
  15. Eternaloptimist

To address the question (or try to) sensibly..............I think the fear of snipers, as well as the actuality, plays a part in stopping people from simply relying on an overshield for attacking or a static firing position for defending. HE bombardment can do the same thing but not everyone wants to play tanks.

There can also be an interesting tactical dimension to harassing defenders with snipers on the one hand, trying to disrupt an attack before it gets too close on the other hand and the skirmishing, cat and mouse fights that go on between snipers, counter snipers, stalkers and LAs in the places overlooking the main battle area. This is only a personal view - I happen to enjoy hunting snipers as much as being a sniper.

Still speaking just for myself I go for engies, medics, other snipers and anyone who appears to be holding a dominating firing position when I run sniper infil. I like to think that helps my faction tactically in a fight.

I think that without that kind of leveller, the game becomes even more of a case of the victory goes to the faction with the biggest numbers or the most veteran players. My avatars range from BR 30 to BR 59 but I always liked the idea that even as a BR 1 I could take out a top rank MLG Pro in the right circumstances. When the situation is reversed I'll just have to keep on my toes and remember the nice feeling of being able to hit back against anyone at any BR level.
    • Up x 1