Rocket launcher

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BatmanApollo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. BatmanApollo

Hello. I have an idea how to makea Heavy not so OP.
    Solutions -remove rocketlauncher. But keep heavy grenades.
    Rocket launcher must be on engineer .
    Heavy will not be OP (becouse they would not be such universal vs all kind of situations) They will have their niche as all others clases!
  2. stalkish

The heavy isnt OP.

No change required.
  3. DeadlyOmen

Dieing to a weapon doesn't mean the weapon needs to be changed.
  4. FateJH

Though there is often something to be said about the idea of giving the Engineer a rocket launcher, framing it under the context of removing it from ther Heavy Assault class is typically considered a non-starter.
  5. cobaltlightning

Each class has their niche just fine; Heavies are kinda the go-to type of class, adept at all situations but falls short in a lot of specifics, and the Engie excels in point-defense situations with his mines, turrets, and ammo pouches.

For completion sake, Infils are the long-range recon, Light Assaults are the flanking skirmishers, Medics are the, well, medics, and MAXes are the spearhead 'Lead the Charge' type.

Besides, Engineers already have a Rocket Launcher.
  6. BrbImAFK

I suggested this exact thing years ago, in addition to giving the HA an additional grenade slot (allowing them to carry 1 damage grenade - frag or AV - and one utility grenade - conc or flash) and making the shield much stronger, but available less often, to encourage using it to push points while not being available for every single 1v1 they face.

So far, nothing's happened, so I wouldn't hold your breath either.....
  7. ColonelChingles

The Battlefield series splits up the AI/AV class much better.

In the older BF2, there were separate LMG and AT rocket classes. The LMG soldier was great at killing infantry but helpless against vehicles, while the AT rocket class was good against vehicles but only had a puny PDW against other infantry. This was the best solution, where one infantryman was not versatile against all targets.

Later in BF3-4, they got rid of the AT rocket class and gave it to the Engineer. This was a mistake (dumbing it down for the new generation of less teamwork-oriented players), but it's still better than Planetside. The Engineer in BF3-4 is okay to below average at fighting infantry (has a carbine), but is essentially the AT class. The LMG soldier does not have rockets, but has an ammunition pack.

I recommend two options for HAs:

1) Make the LMG and rocket take up the same slot. This means that either the HA will be effective against infantry with a LMG or the HA will be effective against vehicles with the rocket launcher, but will not be effective against both at the same time.

or

2) Give the rocket launcher to the Engineer and the ammunition pack to the HA. Switch the sticky/AV grenades as well. Take away HA C4. This makes the Engineer the AV class and the HA the AI class.
    • Up x 1
  8. LordKrelas

Hmm, I actually like this concept.

Just a few questions I have:
    * Wouldn't giving the heavy the ammunition pack make engineers useless in teamwork sense?
    It would remove them needing support beyond a medic, if they ran out of medkits.
    Like beyond repairing maxes, they'd be inside vehicles, repairing them, and blasting vehicles apart.
    Also would mean, that Engie that ejects would pack the best weapon for killing the victor; A full-on rocket launcher.

Also don't know why heavies actually have C-4 with a rocket-launcher considering.
    * If Heavies also had access to sticky grenades, wouldn't they become more common than they are right now?
  9. TR5L4Y3R

just gonna repost what i said in another thread .. i personaly think the heavys RL´s should be primaries than toolslots .. ...
    disagree with removal or classchange .. the heavy part means that that particular class is able to hold big guns ... and a RL is a big gun ...
  10. TR5L4Y3R

C4 is a general explosive shared by all nonmax/noninfiltratorclasses .. personaly i don't have much a problem with that because that still requires them to get close to target/targetarea and any use of shield means they slow down and while having c4 on hand means for that short time they are not using their primary .. if heavies had av or ai mines i would call bull ...
  11. TR5L4Y3R

there is also something people seem to ignore in this thread unlike bf this game has powersuits and imo giving rl's to engis and taking away his ammopack would mess things up a bit ... because who says the heavy with his shield is gonna stick near the max and especialy to the engineer? also the engineer already has a avturret ... overall this change would probably be more trouble than it's worth ... so realy let's just have the heavy have to choose between his ai and av option ...
  12. PlanetBound

Making me nostalgic for BF2 Mercenaries mod.
  13. Maecy

I would agree with the posts that either give heavy a RL or LMG as a primary. But what happens to his tool slot? And If RLs became primaries, they will need a much larger ammo pool. Faster reload and muzzle velocity wouldn't hurt, either.
  14. Eternaloptimist

Leave things as they are - HAs and LAs are equipped for doing damage (smaller cert gain) while support classes are equipped for repairing, supplying, recon, rezzing and healing (bigger cert gain).

I cannot see the problem with that (I play all classes depending on mood or circumstances or blood/alcohol level).
  15. FateJH

Before Light Assaults were given the Rocklet Rifle by default, it would have been easy to say "not every class needs a tool." It's a bit harder to say that now.

All the same, the primary motivator of the Heavy Assault is its additional layer of shielding. If Light Assaults could survive for so long on having mere jumpjets to their name, then I think Heavy Assaults can get by on just having a shield.