[Suggestion] Fallen Friendly icon on HUD

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by greenblobx3, Mar 4, 2017.

1. greenblobx3

Hi guys, just thought I'd throw this idea out there and see what people think.

Easily the most frustrating thing in Planetside 2 for me is when you're killed, and friendly medics walk right by/on top of you (especially as a max!), or you're forced to wait on the mini-map, watching and hoping that they'll get you.

I don't think this is done purposely most of the time, but people get highly distracted by what's going on around them, trying not to be killed themselves, and forget to check around them for fallen friendlies.

That being said, I think a more obvious icon on the HUD would be great - like the ESF engagement radars that show you enemy planes, no matter which way you're looking. It could somehow indicate how much time the medic has till the revive timer expires too.

This would be largely beneficial for all, especially new players who die quite frequently. It's a small change that I believe would make all the difference in keeping new players hooked, and increase overall player satisfaction with the game.

I for one know I'd love to see this patched in. Thoughts on this?
    • Up x 1
  2. Campagne

It could be nice, but too much screen clutter could be a problem as well.
  3. Okaydan

As long as it is optional. I don't need extra clutter. I will pick you up if you are near and there is no immediate threat. I know who to res first and when. So please don't force it on me.
    • Up x 2
  4. greenblobx3

As a medic, your job is to revive people. People need to remember that.. Anyways, my point still stands. Maybe you personally do your job diligently and consistently as a medic but, as everybody knows, many do not.
    That being said, I think it could be designed in a way that doesn't cause too much clutter. But optionality I understand is important. (Being a good teammate shouldn't be forced, either).
  5. greenblobx3

True. There'd have to be a radius limit for someone to actually pop up on your screen
    • Up x 1
  6. BrbImAFK

Ummm.... no. No, it's not. You're not a "medic" - which is an unarmed dude who's outside of combat and (at least in "civilised" wars) not a valid target. You're a "combat medic". You're armed and you're a valid target.

As such, your first job is to stay alive as much as possible. Your second job is to kill any enemy threatening you or the area you're operating in. Your third job is to rez literally any other medic in your area. Your fourth job is to rez any member of your squad / team / platoon, 'cause at least you know they're coordinated (barring pubbie-squads of course). Only THEN do you rez randoms and only after that do you heal people.
    • Up x 2
  7. Okaydan

My only "job" is to have fun. I am not obliged to res anyone. As such, I don't want to be forced to do so either. People need to remember that..
    • Up x 1
  8. Newlife1025

Would also be nice to see the closest medics around. Also, a request for revival. Like a little blip on your body
    • Up x 1
  9. greenblobx3

The only thing binding you to it is being a good teammate. No, nobody can force you to be that. The icons shouldn't, if designed correctly, do that.
  10. greenblobx3

That's all true, I'm not saying that you should put yourself in harm's way to res somebody else, and accordingly, HUD icons shouldn't impair your regular gameplay.

My point before was that if you see somebody down as a medic, with no immediate nearby threat, resing them would be the right thing to do. Most people do, and I believe that's not only for the points.
  11. BrbImAFK

Thing is, if there's no immediate threat nearby there's nothing stopping you checking your minimap - where all the dead dudes are clearly marked. Or just looking around for the bodies. That works too. There's no real need to clutter up the HUD with more stuff. Everything you need is there. Dudes that don't rez aren't doing it because they need more HUD-spam, they're doing it because they're lazy or AFK or just don't care. HUD-spam ain't gonna change that.